Author Topic: Do any of you okies?  (Read 848 times)

Offline backstrap

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Do any of you okies?
« on: March 23, 2010, 06:01:17 PM »
Do any of you Okies predator hunt such as coyotes or bobcats?I bought me a eletric predator call and think next winter i am going to try it out.Durning this years deer season seen 2 big ol dog's about 80 yards away while i was in my deer stand but didnt shoot at them because didnt want to scare the deer off.Try my new Stevens 200 in 243 on these dogs shooting a 65gr v-max at 3500 fps should do them in.I know the round wouldnt be good for saveing pelts but there not worth nothing up here any more,now i dont know if i shot a bobcat with this round might blow them into that could be sad because a big good pelted cat up here can bring 300.00 to 350.00
1 shot 1 kill

Offline FourBee

Re: Do any of you okies?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 07:31:49 PM »
Your .243 is plenty gun for those dogs.  I use to use a .270 win  with 100gr bullets.  My son's friend  had a large bobcat mounted he shot with his .270win. The Taxidermist did a good job on the side the bullet exited.  Yer right about the low value of hides lately.  Just not worth the time and effort to skin 'em.
Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.

Offline securitysix

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 10:42:17 AM »
I don't actively hunt anything.  I'd love to get a shot at a coyote, though.

My uncle is an avid deer hunter, but he also shoots every coyote he sees.  He does run a ranch with some cattle on it, so it's depredation for him anyway.  He keeps his .30-06 loaded with 180 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips (same load he uses for deer) with him while he's out working.  If he sees a coyote, he shoots it.  He doesn't care about the hides, obviously.

Good luck with your coyote hunting.

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 03:43:51 PM »
243 is a pretty good choice for yotes.
Good reach, good ballistics, flat shooter.

I've shot them with all kinds of calibers.
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline alsaqr

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 04:17:41 AM »
A .243 is a good coyote killer. 

I'm an avid coyote hunter:  Sometimes I get a bobcat that answers my predator call.  My favorite gun for called in coyotes is a Savage model 24 20 gauge over .22 Hornet.  In the shotgun barrel I use #4 buckshot.  My favorite long range coyote killer is my Mathieu 28" barreled .300 Win mag.