Author Topic: Got my Nipples  (Read 634 times)

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
Got my Nipples
« on: March 24, 2010, 10:48:24 AM »
From TOTW.  And a Ted Cash Capper to!    8)

Now all I have to do is get time to go to the range!  I got lubes and powder charges and loading techniques to test!   ;D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline FourBee

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Got my Nipples
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 11:23:27 AM »
Hey AtlLaw;  Way to go, guy.  I've been watching you ever since you started inquiring about these beautiful ole guns, and I must say, you've come a long ways in a very short time.  Now that's dedication.  After you try out those new nipples come back and give us your view of 'em.   I've always liked the idea of the originals, but then, I've never used the Tresos either.   What powders have you came up with?

Happy Shootin'  4B
Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 11:48:10 AM »
I tell ya 4B, I'm just happier then a hog slopped in sour mash!   ;D  I take these revolvers out every night just to feel 'em in my hand...  :P

I wanted to try these nipples just because a) people talked so well about them and b) I wanted a better cap fit.  The first thing I noticed is that the #10's were to small and the #11's were to big on the factory nipples.   :-\  I may chuck the originals up and bring 'em down to #10 size when I got nuthin better to do...

And all this talk about a chamber discharging because a nipple fell off has got me gun shy!   ;D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline FourBee

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 12:15:18 PM »
And all this talk about a chamber discharging because a nipple fell off has got me gun shy!  
 ;D

I see the talk too, but I ain't never had such a chain fire, and I learned to shoot these by trial and error, cause I didn't have anyone to teach me.  (over loading w/powder) (caps and no caps)(grease and no grease).  

I take these revolvers out every night just to feel 'em in my hand...  
 ;D

Ha !   I thought I was the only person that did that .   ;D   I often sit at the computer with one or two on the desk in front of me.  8)

4B

Offline brpc

• http://www.rpcrange
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 01:33:02 PM »
AtlLaw:

Let us know the outcome.

What kind of caps are you testing?

I bought a set of Treso's about a month ago.  With CCI 10's and Dynamit Nobel 1075 Plus's they are an improvement over the Uberti nipples in two 1858's.  I say an improvement, but some still require a "double hit".  The best combination seems to be Treso nipples with Remington 10's.

The Remingtons are hard to find.......need a good source.

Jim

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 03:07:06 PM »
Right now I've just got CCI #11 mags and the Dynamit Nobel 1075.  The latter caps fit better then the CCI 11's but are still to loose for me.  On my revolver the #10 CCI's are too small and won't seat fully on the Tresco's.  I'll try again since you say they are a good combination.

I'd love to try some Rems but I haven't seen any.   :-\
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline FourBee

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 06:00:49 PM »
I was so desperate (a few years back) to get my hands on the Remington #10's, I broke down and ordered them from MidwayUSA.   It was costly, but I got over it.   They fit better than any of the others on original nipples,  and are hotter than what they used to be.  

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 03:02:20 AM »
You might check Powder Valley, IIRC they have Rem #10's.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."