Author Topic: The President Obama Cannon and Mortar Contest  (Read 6282 times)

Offline lance

• Trade Count: (0)
The President Obama Cannon and Mortar Contest
« on: March 25, 2010, 04:43:31 PM »
O.K. folks, here's your chance: either post a picture or make an educated guess as to what would be President Obama's favorite all time cannon and mortar. The cannon/mortar can range through history up to the 1898 cut off date. I'll let this contest run for a few weeks, and then i'll send the White House an e-mail and get the answer. Lance
PALADIN had a gun.....I have guns, mortars, and cannons!

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: The President Obama Cannon and Mortar Contest
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 05:17:00 PM »
O.K. folks, here's your chance: either post a picture or make an educated guess as to what would be President Obama's favorite all time cannon and mortar. The cannon/mortar can range through history up to the 1898 cut off date. I'll let this contest run for a few weeks, and then i'll send the White House an e-mail and get the answer. Lance

OK.  We'll let this one run IF and only IF the responses from this point are to the point and fit within the rules of this forum and the board.

That is to say, this appears to be a legitimate question and not a political issue.

IF we keep it straight-up with NO inflamatory statements or implications, then you will see this thread grow.  If not, it will disappear.

EVERYONE, watch your wordings and implications.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 05:20:50 PM »
I can remember when, as a college student, I called the President.  It was 10 at night (9pm eastern) and to make a long story short, it had a good ending.  It's a long story and I'll post it in a day or three here when I've got time to type it up.
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 05:42:45 PM »
Darn CW I bet it was a long story pony express and all .

What did Millard Fillmore have to say ?    ;D sorry CW I couldnt resist  ;D
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 07:05:49 PM »
I have a feeling his favorite would be the Dictator.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 07:32:31 PM »
I have a feeling he doesn't care 2˘ about or for muzzle loading artillery.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline MikeR C

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 07:55:59 PM »
My grandmother useta say that if you can't say something nice about someone, to say nothing at all. You will note that the rest of this post is blank...

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 08:26:12 PM »
I knew George and Allen would be gettin' in on this one. :D  Very good, Allen, I didn't think of that.

Now of course these are just assumptions on my part, but being in total agreement with George, I'd guess that this might be our president's favorite mortar type. RX, for Obama-care; get it? :P

As for our fearless leader's favorite cannon, (this is an easy one) how about James P. Cannon. :( Jim Cannon
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 11:21:59 PM »
Good one, Boom J....I'd have to also agree that his fav would be the Dictator!   Perhaps he has two favorites? BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 01:23:23 AM »
Good one, Gary - I DO celebrate Milard Filmore's birthday each year - but that is another long story.  The president I called was Nixon and related to the wrestler Dan Gable at Iowa State.

Lance - GREAT question!  This an issue of great discipline to hold one's emotions in check and just to answer the question.  That is a skill that is much needed from time to time with ALL of us.

Here we have to be aware of our deep feelings for the Office of the President and the man himself.  Again, this is an exercise in self-discipline.  Answers thus far have been close to the edge -- understandibly so. 

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 02:14:11 AM »
A Napoleon would probably be a close second favorite.

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 06:53:20 AM »
 :-X Click below to open. It took me 2 1/2 hours to get this far. ???
Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 07:06:16 AM »
I would suggest:

"Quaker" guns.
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 07:08:30 AM »
A Cannon towel?
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2010, 07:33:26 AM »
A Cannon towel?

That would be only useful if he were to throw it in.........
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2010, 11:06:28 AM »
:-X Click below to open. It took me 2 1/2 hours to get this far. ???

Rich,
Well, at least now I understand the Beetle Bailey "MOOB!" reference that you made in an earlier post. At the time I was afraid to ask, because I thought that you might have finally gone 'cabin happy' on me, seeing as you're stuck out there on your lonely snowed in "Ponderosa" sized acreage. ;)
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2010, 11:30:46 AM »
I would have to say it is going to be a traboushe.  You know the huge catapult thing from the middle ages.
The reasons:
1) it is not a fire arm and does not offend his hatred of the 2nd amendment
2) It takes a large team to load it.  (shovel ready) and Jobs are important.
3) while being able to hurl up to a ton it can not sling more BS than the President.   ;D

Ps. I will bet you if you send in that request you will not get an answer.  If this arrogant Bugger (family friendly) will get up and walk out on our best ally in the middle east, this Moron will not answer to the likes of you.  A second amendment right wing nut job that mostliukely his office will have you put on a watch list or get a visit from the Secret Service.

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2010, 11:57:11 AM »
I can remember when, as a college student, I called the President.  It was 10 at night (9pm eastern) and to make a long story short, it had a good ending.  It's a long story and I'll post it in a day or three here when I've got time to type it up.

Hey Cat,
If it was 9:00 PM  eastern, where were you when it was 10:00PM? ???
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2010, 01:20:52 PM »
According to my quick check at the time zone selection on my computer, any of the following would be possible:
Asuncion
Atlantic Time (Canada)
Georgetown, La Paz, San Juan
Manaus
Santiago

I'll throw another in...a boat in the Atlantic.

As far as my answer to the question, I'd be tempted to agree with the Quaker gun, but I think the environmentalist side of him would be against felling a tree.  He does like to be on camera, so perhaps if the question were put to him orally, he'd say a Canon HL X1S (this misses the date range by a bit).  Of course, I think as an actual response you would likely receive something general about the need for change in healthcare and economics, and the original question would be dodged or forgotten.  Perhaps he'd mumble something about it not being on his teleprompter. 

Overall, I don't think he'd care for any cannon, so I wouldn't bother asking him.  There have been many Presidents who would gladly answer that question, and could even instruct most of those on this board on cannons and their use, but he's not one of them.  I think the original intent of this thread was to get reactions such as those already given, which is why I tried to avoid answering here at all.  Hopefully I didn't go too far.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2010, 03:37:05 PM »
...   ey Cat,
If it was 9:00 PM  eastern, where were you when it was 10:00PM? ???     Zulu

My bad.  It was 10pm Midwest time, 11pm Washington time.  President Nixon was in the habbit then of calling various athletes, noteably football players.  I lived in the same dorm as Dan Gable - who had the reputation of never using the same hold twice in a match and just didn't loose.  Took the Big 8 twice and the NCAA.  I just thought that tricky Dick should give him a call - he'd earned it.

So, talking with my across-the-hall-mate one evening, I stated that the Pres should give Dan Gable a call - then suggested that we call the pres and tell him so.  He agreed and said that "I" should.  I picked up the phone and dialed 202-555-1212 and asked for the number of the President of the United States.  It came back so fast I asked again and wrote it down.  Ahem.  It's not every night one calls the President.  I dialed the number.  It rang once.  It rang twice.  At that moment another student waled in and I panicked - handed him the phone and asked him "here want to talk to the President".  The answer on the phone was "This is the White House".  HE PANICKED.  Spent several minutes apologizing (he hadn't seen me dial).  We called and called back.
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2010, 03:43:21 PM »
Finally we got through to one of his three personal secretaries.  He said that if we wrote a letter, that he would see that it got on the President's desk and that he'd see it.  The other student and his girl-friend got to work and wrote up the letter.  Two weeks later we got back a carbon copy of the letter sent back.  It was from the President's Advisor on Physial Fitness, but addressed to Coach Nichols.  "The President as asked me to congratulate you and your team ...."  Missed.  Dan Gable graduated and went to UofI, put a team together and whipped up on ISU a few years later!

A few years later I was tellling this story to my wife.  I asked her if she'd ever heard of Dan Gable.  She said yes, he's my cousin!

;D

Sometimes one may not respect the President, but that doesn't mean that he or his office can't be used for positive things.
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2010, 03:50:35 PM »
Richard (the cartoonist) -

Thanks for posting it!   ;D
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline lance

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2010, 03:52:37 PM »
Here is what i know for sure: i get so sick and tired of all the fussing i hear on the t.v. news and from people in public, that all i can say for sure about President Obama is that he is black and has a wife and two daughters. I don't know, he was a kid at one time, maybe he played with cannons or wanted to be a Pirate or something. If the Secret Service stops by to see me, well , i know they like guns, so at least i'll have something in common to talk about.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2010, 04:01:29 PM »
Here is what i know for sure: i get so sick and tired of all the fussing i hear on the t.v. news and from people in public, that all i can say for sure about President Obama is that he is black and has a wife and two daughters. I don't know, he was a kid at one time, maybe he played with cannons or wanted to be a Pirate or something. If the Secret Service stops by to see me, well , i know they like guns, so at least i'll have something in common to talk about.

DRIVE ON, DUDE!!!!!     ;)
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2010, 04:27:47 PM »
Would you like another "President Story"? ;)  I had an invitation from the First Lady for a luncheon in the White House with GWB and I declined. I still have the fancy invitation somewhere with the news paper articles about how I declined. ;D

Richard "The Independent" :P

BTW: She requested that I carve something for their Christmas....and I did.  It's now part of the White House Permanent Collection, curated by the Smithsonian Institution....BUT that's a whole nuther story. ::)

rc

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2010, 04:36:42 PM »

That puts you right up there with Tiger Woods.  He declined the presidential invite to dinner too. 

So, what was your carving?  A cannon?  (Seriously, we'd like to see pix of your workmanship -  I just had to put the word cannon in to make this post germain.)

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2010, 04:54:47 PM »
Right Tim.....but he had something (someone?) better to do. 

Me?  I gathered 12 friends (apostles?) and sprung for a luncheon at the exact time I was to be in D.C..  As a military man, youse might appreciate what I did. One never knows; do one?  I'll search my files for some information and mail it to yizz :D

I'll also mail you the CANNON cartoon in it's original form.

Richard "The Bold"

Offline Max Caliber

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2010, 03:34:34 AM »
Richard's cartoon reminds me of the question, if an explosion goes Bang, does an implosion go Gnab?
Max

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2010, 05:19:42 AM »
Very clever Max.  We think out of the box.  Too many around us are centric.

rc

Offline lance

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2010, 03:34:27 PM »
Just guessing, but maybe President Obama likes British cannons, just thinking about Capt. James Cook and the Hawaiian Islands.