Author Topic: S&W SIGMA  (Read 762 times)

Offline WD45

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
S&W SIGMA
« on: March 26, 2010, 08:30:35 AM »
What's the current view of the SIGMA ? Price wise it seams to be a pretty good deal at 419 sawbucks

Offline aglass1987

• Avid Poster
Re: S&W SIGMA
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 09:40:04 AM »
Around here the Sigmas are around 300-350$. I own two of the stainless models: 40 s&w and 9mm. I never had any problems with mine. The trigger is the part people hate most, because it's so heavy. But it didn't take me long to get use to it, which it really never bothered me anyway. I think they are great guns and well worth the price.

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 10:26:50 AM »
I bought mine because it felt good in the hand.  The dealer warned me though.  "If you buy a .40 caliber, be prepared to send it back."  I thought he was trying to sell me a more expensive gun.  But mine was so bad, I didn't bother sending it back.  Got rid of it as quickly as possible.  It jammed more than it fired.  The trigger pull was unbelievably difficult to master.  I think that Sigma is the worst gun I've ever owned.  Maybe they've improved, or maybe I just got a bad one. 

Offline spruce

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 01:18:01 PM »
Looked one over at the gunshop last week.  Trigger pull is a little heavy, but certainly manageable.  Felt good in the hand.

Most comments I've heard and read have been favorable - a few like Mike in Virginia had problems, but that's the case with most guns regardless of manufacturer.

Do a search here and you'll find a few old threads on them.

Forgot to mention - there's a rebate on them thru April (I think), $50 or 2 free mags, your choice.  And the one I looked at was priced at $349.

Offline rybo

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 04:13:41 AM »
My experience mirrors mike in va's, minus the dealer warning.

Terrible gun, I got rid of it after about a year.
Insert funny/sarcastic/philosophical/witty saying here.

Offline GH1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 04:54:08 AM »
 It was always my understanding that the term "sawbuck" meant ten dollars.  A fin is five dollars, a double saw is twenty and a C-note is a hundred.
 The only experience I have wioth the Sigma is watching a guy in my CC class try to hit the target with it. He was all over the place, hitting the target about 50% of the time.  He blamed it on just having bought the Sigma, but who knows?  Maybe he was just someone that couldn't shoot.
GH1 :)
I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 04:59:58 AM »
It was always my understanding that the term "sawbuck" meant ten dollars. 

Mine to.  And I'm sure not going to pay no $4,190 for a SIGMA!
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline WD45

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 05:45:18 AM »
Thanks for the info gents. Sorry for the sawbuck foopaw. Iv'e always used it for a general reference for dollars not thinking of the actual meaning of the term ;D. I thought maybe since they have been around awhile now the bugs have been worked out of them. Guess not ::)
You would think that a company like S&W would take more pride in the product they produce. With the economy the way it is most people don't have a lot of extra cash for a top dollar gun. Even non gun people know the name Smith and Wesson and would buy a S&W over the KEL TEC just because of name recognition. Certain name brands imply quality and when it's not there it really jerks my chain >:( Especially when your life DEPENDS on it!

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 01:59:37 AM »
I believe the Sigma was developed by the S&W that was owned by the Brits as part of the agreement with clinton's HUD mogul, andrew the kwomo, and it was manufactured as a cheap piece to be available to law enforcement.  Fortunately for all of us now, the british firm that owned S&W at that time was driven out of business by American consumers who boycotted the company.  The current S&W owners make much better pistols now and the M&P is one of them, but the Sigma isn't.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 02:17:26 AM »
Was not the Sigma series and effort to duplicate some of the values of the Glock and to avoid patent/duplication concerns.
The Sigma series has NEVER lived up to hype---from what I read and never owning one.
I also have never owned a Glu-er-Glock.
I like mine made of steel for <S>  :-*.
You do it your way---but don't buy a Sigma.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Noreaster

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 03:36:50 AM »
They were issued to the MA EPO (game wardens,) and were well liked. I understand Glock sued and as a part of the settlement S&W changed something, then the problems started. Since then the patten or lawsuit or whatever expired and they went back to the original design. This is what I've been told, no first hand knowledge except that the EPOs liked them. I do know that S&W stands behind their guns and will always fix anything that needs it. Right now at 4 Seasons firearms they are going for $299.00.

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 02:36:44 PM »
It seems to be a popular item.  I think the relatively low price for a S&W auto is its best selling point.

Offline WD45

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010, 01:27:37 PM »
Well Mike in VA, Thats what caught my eye was the lower price and wondered how it comapred to the KELTEC. Seems I have heard more good than bad about KEL TEC and more bad than good about the Sigma.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2010, 03:16:40 AM »
Comparing the Kel-Tec and SIGMA is kind of like comparing apples to oranges.   The SIGMA, to the best of my recollection, is a boxy service sized pistol w/ 4" barrel and 16 round capacity in 9mm (14 rounds in .40).  The Kel-Tecs whether your referring to the P-11 or newer pf9 are very small (for 9mm) concealed carry weapons with 11 and 8 rounds respectively w/ standard magazines.
I have a P-11 that I like very well for it's intended purpose.  I have no first hand shooting experience with the newer SIGMAs but I hear that they have been greatly improved since their introduction.  Earlier reliability issues have been addressed but the heavy DA trigger remains.  The SIGMA was designed as a military/police service pistol hence the reason for the heavy trigger. As long as you are not expecting a target pistol and practice with the SIGMA to get used to the trigger I think it would be a good option as a home/vehicle  defense weapon for someone on a budget. 
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Mtn Jack

• Trade Count: (1)
  • western Pa patriot
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2010, 07:00:17 AM »
Sigma is a junk copy of the glock, get the real thing even if you have to buy used. Service is good if you would ever need it, and parts are only dollars. Get the best combat handgun made. Get a glock 19 and you wont look back. You can always make more mone,y you only have one life. Stay safe an informed.  Mtn Jack
Friends may enter, others not, friends will be fed and others shot.