Author Topic: Source of punches for cutting felt wads, etc.  (Read 2345 times)

Offline bedbugbilly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Source of punches for cutting felt wads, etc.
« on: March 28, 2010, 10:24:01 AM »
Gatofeo just posted an excellent thread on felt for wads, lub, etc. - again, thank you Gatefeo very much!

For those that are looking for punches for making wads at a reasonable price - try the following source.  I just shoot .36 caliber so the 3/8" punch/cutters work fine for me but you might want to look up the site and take a gander and see if they'd work for your requirements.  I just bought a set of the ones that go in to the drill press as well as those used with a mallet.  In addition to using the 3/8" to cut my wads, I'll use the others in my leatherwork.

Google  "Harbor Freight"

In the search - either put in "punches" in the description box or enter the part number in that box

Drill Press Punch Cutters - Part # 67030-0VGA - hex shank for drill press use - sizes 3/16. 4/4, 5/16. 3/8, 7/16, 1/2 - 6 piece set - price $9.99

Drive Punch Cutters - Part # 3838-1VGA - for use with mallet - sizes 3/32, 1/8, 5/32, 3/16, 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 7/16, 1/2 - 9 piece set - price $5.99

As I say, I only shoot .36 so the 3/8" punches are what I need and the others will work for my leatherwork.  However, the price is right and the quality of them seems fairly good - they'll work fine for what I need them for.  Even if you only use the 3/8" for .36 caliver, the price is right.

Thanks!   :)
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single one on my right hip is good enough for me.  Besides, I'm probably only half as good as he was anyway . . . . now . . . how do I load this confounded contraption?

Hiram's Rangers - Badge #63

Offline Gatofeo

• Contributor
Re: Source of punches for cutting felt wads, etc.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 04:53:28 PM »
Thanks for the kudos about my post concerning felt wads.

Yep, I too use a 3/8" wad punch to make .36 caliber wads. Should also work fine for any .37-caliber rifles (.38-55, .375 H&H, .378 Weatherby, etc.).

The 7/16th punch is too small for the .44 cap and balls, which are actually closer to .45 caliber. However, it creates a wad just right for the .44/40, .44 Special, .444 Marlin, .44 Magnum, etc.
I had to break down and buy a true .45-caliber wad cutter from Buffalo Arms. Cost $18 at the time (now it's about $20) but considering that the darn thing never wears out if properly treated, it pays for itself over the cost of buying premade wads.
The 1/2 punch is just right for .50 caliber. I use it for wads in my .50 Hawken.
I use the end of a 12-inch log, about 8 inches in diameter. Found it at the thrift store, with some cutesy-poo bear decorated on it, for $1. No pine trees here in the desert, Actually, the end of a piece of 4X4 would have worked as well to punch against.
I improved my short log by epoxying a layer of that hard, plastic cutting material on the end. It's used on cutting, sewing and framing tables, wherever there's a lot of cutting. A plastic cutting board for kichen use should be work too, glued to the end of your log or 4X4.
Cut the plastic to fit just to the edge of the wood. Glue it, so your wad cutter get dull hitting nails or tacks.
"A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44."

Offline Sir Charles deMoutonBlack

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 05:09:01 PM »
For a .45 punch, I cut off a belted magnum case at the shoulder, chamfer,  and drill out the primer pocket.  They are cheap (free!) and fit all my .44 C&Bs, 45 revolvers, and .458 bore rifles.

Offline Gatofeo

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 05:51:37 PM »
Ah yes, Sir Charles, forgot about using a sharpened cartridge case.
Did that years ago when I had my first .44, a cheap brass-framed Navy 1851.
It works. And the brass is certainly cheap. I just got weary of resharpening it, or making a new one once in a while.
But if you're not going to punch out a slew of wads, like I do, it will certainly work.
Glad you brought that up. I'm sure many will profit from that tidbit.
"A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44."

Offline Sir Charles deMoutonBlack

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 04:00:59 PM »
More uses for belted maggie cases?  Yup!  A .300 Win Mag case cut off at the shoulder measures 80 grains of Goex FFg, great for shotgun game loads.  Cut off a 7mm RMag, .338 WMag, etc, gives you a 70 grain measure.  A .30-06 case as is, holds 57 grains of FFg.

I haven't worked with the short mags, but go try it.  You might like it!

Offline Doug B.

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
  • Still A Kid At Heart - 1971 Honda CT70H
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 12:52:42 AM »
Sharpen an end on a piece of black plumbing pipe the proper inside diameter. This will cut fine backed up with a block of hardwood and can be sharpened time after time. Best of all....it's cheap!
"Be A Good Listener. Your Ears Will Never Get You In Trouble"

Cadott/Chippewa Falls, WI

Offline bedbugbilly

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 08:03:59 AM »
Doug - any possibility that you can supply the size of pipe for .36 and .44 calibers?  Is 3/8" pipe really 3/8" I.D. or is it a "nominal" size?  Thanks.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single one on my right hip is good enough for me.  Besides, I'm probably only half as good as he was anyway . . . . now . . . how do I load this confounded contraption?

Offline Macphoto

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 09:00:11 AM »
Couldn't resist adding my 2 cents worth.  Many golf clubs with hollow shafts are stepped and made of metal.  Just cut it off at the step you need, size wise, and sharpen.

Offline Doug B.

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
  • Still A Kid At Heart - 1971 Honda CT70H
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 02:42:25 PM »
Doug - any possibility that you can supply the size of pipe for .36 and .44 calibers?  Is 3/8" pipe really 3/8" I.D. or is it a "nominal" size?  Thanks.

Billy,

Looked around for a piece of 3/8" black pipe.......didn't have any. I did mic a 1/4" nipple and that was at or about .248-.249. A piece of 1/2" rigid copper is at about .510. So....I would say "nominal size" probably is more accurate depending of course on manufacturer when you are talking plumbing specs. If you were to ream out a piece of 3/8" black iron pipe you could achieve .36 caliber. 3/8" is actually more like .380 .44 is more like 7/16". I can't think of anything in the plumbing world that would work for .44 unless somebody would really do some "snooping around".

"Be A Good Listener. Your Ears Will Never Get You In Trouble"

Cadott/Chippewa Falls, WI

Offline bedbugbilly

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 06:51:19 PM »
Thanks Doug - much appreciated!  I'm going to check around my shop when I get back to Michigan as I had a box of reamers I picked up at an auction years ago (just in case I ever needed them   ;D ).  I'm shooting .36 now (5 revolvers) but am looking at getting a .44.  I have the punch for the .36 but this will give me a "project".  I also have a hankering for a Baby Dragoon so can work on getting .31 punch made as well.  Many thanks again and safe shooting!  Sincerely,  bedbug    :)

Offline brpc

• http://www.rpcrange
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 09:43:30 AM »
All:

The self healing mats to put under your punch can be found at fabric stores.  They are used by quilters.  They last a long, long time.  You may find an old one that is still OK for our uses from someone that quilts.

Anyway, here it is on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00251I5P4/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&qid=1270146610&sr=1-19&condition=new

Offline Cornbelt

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 05:06:41 PM »
Picked up an arch punch at the local industrial supply that worked good, but spinning it in a drill and opening the hole w/a dremil made it work better. Now it is slightly larger, plus the inside of the hole is now bigger at the top, so the felt gets looser the fuller the punch gets. Made it a lot  easier to use.