Author Topic: older barnes X bullets?  (Read 341 times)

Offline strut64

• Trade Count: (0)
older barnes X bullets?
« on: March 28, 2010, 11:22:27 AM »
I have been given some older Barnes X bullets.  130 gr and 140 gr 0.277 dia.  I plan on using them in a 270 win.  I can't find reloading info on these bullets.  I know that they have to be used with caution because of the tendency to have higher chamber pressure.  They have been discontinued and the Barnes site doesn't info on the older X bullets.
Can anyone here give me any info?  Thanks in advance for your help.

Offline Savage_99

• Contributor
Re: older barnes X bullets?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 11:33:10 AM »
Ive got some too.  I will never shoot mine.  They foul the bore
and don't always open up due to the tiny hollow point getting
closed some.

If I find mine I am going to throw them in the brass scrap box.

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 11:56:05 AM »
In my first hand experience with Barnes .257 caliber 100 grain X-bullets out of a Ruger M77 MKII in 25-06 Remington and they were a complete failure.

My top 3 reasons for failure!

1)   Very high chamber pressures

2)   Lots of fouling.

3)   Fail to expand on game.

No one could run fast enough to give them to me for free.

yooper77

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 11:41:43 PM »
From those who know, were the Barnes X with the Blue coating bad too?  I have had some great results on paper with them, possibly the uncoated too (can't remember) but have never taken them hunting. I do have a Barnes loading manual for them and they often specify less powder than for standard manufacture bullets.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 12:12:11 AM »
Strut -after a panic look for my Barnes manuals, I finally located them. I have # 1 and 3.  Did you check the in the bullet boxes?  Some used to come with a little loading sheet in the box.  PM me with the exact bullet and maybe the powders you have and I can provide what the #3 manual lists for loads. I think I got rid of the #2 manual as it was pretty controversial if I recall. Even in # 3 I see I have a bunch of corrections listed for the 300 win mag and 180 XLC FB and XLC BT.

Or I bet you could email Barnes direct and they should provide loads.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline strut64

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 07:31:09 AM »
Sent you a PM this AM.  The powders I prefer are H 4350 or H4831.  I also haver others like IMR 4064 and 4895.  I think 4350 is pretty good for most 270 win work.  I also did Email Barnes.

Thanks,