Author Topic: help with .32 s&w short reloading  (Read 480 times)

Offline shannonavah

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (4)
help with .32 s&w short reloading
« on: March 29, 2010, 04:03:36 PM »
I have a antique Hopkins and Allen 32 revolver coming in a couple day's. I would like to know what powder I should use and bullet type. I will be using Lee dippers to measure this so any, and all help will be greatly apreciated. Thanks GBO members for everything.
A NICELY PLACED SHOT, IS THE BEST LOOKING THING THROUGH A HIGH POWERED SCOPE

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
Re: help with .32 s&w short reloading
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 04:34:31 PM »
If you actually like the revolver and would like to treat it with loving care (rather than abuse) use only Black Powder (or the substitutes, but BP is best), 2F or 3F is fine. Use a Round ball that fits the fully chamber formed case mouth. Std. Small Pistol primers are fine, too.
Dies arent needed. Deprime with any rifle or pistol die with a bigger dia. body than the .32S&W. BTW. the more common .32S&W Long case may fit if it doesnt extend past the cylinder chamber mouth.
Fill with enough BP to still allow you to thumb press the right firm, but not tight, fitting dia. ball flush into the case mouth. Then smear a softish lube across the front (Crisco works but any BP lube will do better because they are stiffer and wont melt as fast in the heat of the day), then go and shoot.
These guns WILL shoot loose with smokeless loads, please dont be tempted to do so.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 05:27:38 PM »
How about using a Black Powder substitute, like Triple Seven?  I too will be loading the same cartridge soon.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 04:44:15 AM »
Ive never used it or really followed it's claims, though I have heard of it. Is it listed as a BP 'substitute' like Pyrodex, or is it a smokeless that is 'supposed' to operate at BP pressures? Do you throw charges by volume as with BP, or by a reduced weighed charge?
Unless it is an actual BP substitute, you, as always, are on your own. Just remember,'beyond this place, there be dragons'.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974