Author Topic: First time reloader with questions.  (Read 383 times)

Offline Govt Mule

• Trade Count: (0)
First time reloader with questions.
« on: March 29, 2010, 06:07:35 PM »
I'm about to load some ammo but need some help with load data.

1.  I have rainier coated 9mm 115gr rn bullets and unique powder that I would like to use together.  I have seen no lead data for this combo, but have data for 115gr fmj.  Can I safely use fmj data, for copper coated if the weight is the same, and use the starting loads?

2.  I have 38spl, 125gr lead flat point [cone shape] bullets.  Can I use load data for a 125gr lead round nose flat point?

3.  I have 38spl, 148gr double ended bb wc, that have crimping groves. About 1/16" will be exposed out of the case.  Can I use data for 148gr hollow base wc?

I'm new to this and just want to be safe with what I load. Sorry if any of the above questions are dumb or common knowledge, and Thanks in advance for any replies.   

Offline bronco73401

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
Re: First time reloader with questions.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 06:32:13 PM »
On your first two questions I would say yes you can. On your third, no. If you are going to use unique with your 148 gr.bb-hs start with 4.5 grains and no more than 5.1. That load is according to my speer #12.

BTW no such thing as a stupid question. If you dont know ask. I load a lot of 9mm and 38's.

Lance
NRA Member
USAF Desert Storm Veteran

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 06:40:58 PM »
?1:  If you go to Berry's (plated bullets site) I believe they do not recommend full power loads developed for normal jacketed bullets.  Better to use cast lead levels. I've seen plated bullets where the plating comes off and accuracy goes to pot.
Here's a link to Berry's FAQ on loading plated
http://www.berrysmfg.com/faq.aspx?q=9&c=1

?2: Yes you should be fine as long as you aren't pushing max loads and the bullets aren't dramatically different in shape or diameter.

?3: I'd look at a manual that lists double end WC and not hollow base WC as the powder space could be considerably different.

There's lots of data for 9mm and 38 so no reason to take short cuts. Check out the powder companie's web sites.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline P.A. Myers

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 02:19:32 AM »
Try this;

http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp

38s are very easy to load for. Safety is no problem with any reasonable loads.  Accuracy will be the main concern. Unique has been around a long time for good reason.  Depending on your volume of shooting, you will find it best to buy a large quantity of bullets.  It could easily require several hundred bullets to find your favorite combination. Then you can go into production. I will run through 400 rounds for a typical session. I learned not to do large runs of loads that are untested.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty -
never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense”
 Winston Churchill