Author Topic: Drill & Tap 20ga Pardner For Scope Mount  (Read 978 times)

Offline powermad

• Trade Count: (0)
Drill & Tap 20ga Pardner For Scope Mount
« on: March 31, 2010, 08:39:19 AM »
I cut the barrel down on my 20ga Pardner for a shorty slug gun. Need to mount a scope on this sucker. Is anyone here setup to drill and tap a Pardner barrel for a scope mount? I'm trying to get it tapped for a 4 hole Encore mount but local smiths are quoting me more than the gun is worth. May try to do it myself but I'm not sure how much metal is acceptable to leave at the chamber. What would be the minimum allowable thickness for the chamber wall? I measured the chamber on my 12ga at .150. Using that as a guide, only gives me a hole depth of .60". I wouldn't mind sending this out to be done if I could find someone to do it at a reasonable price.

Offline Kal52

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Contributor
Re: Drill & Tap 20ga Pardner For Scope Mount
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 01:12:22 PM »
wow, nice job on the recrown!

Not sure but some folks have used jb weld etc, it should be in the FAQ

Good luck

Dave

Offline gjdykeman

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 01:17:23 PM »
I cut the barrel down on my 20ga Pardner for a shorty slug gun. Need to mount a scope on this sucker. Is anyone here setup to drill and tap a Pardner barrel for a scope mount? I'm trying to get it tapped for a 4 hole Encore mount but local smiths are quoting me more than the gun is worth. May try to do it myself but I'm not sure how much metal is acceptable to leave at the chamber. What would be the minimum allowable thickness for the chamber wall? I measured the chamber on my 12ga at .150. Using that as a guide, only gives me a hole depth of .60". I wouldn't mind sending this out to be done if I could find someone to do it at a reasonable price.

410 Tamer Barrel, 55.00 including rail for mounting. 10.00 a hole plus rail and screws, mounted. Seems to be standard price, local gunsmith/shop. My Rossi 20g chamber thickness is .220, screw depth is .160, epoxied, I can't get it off. Same deal.
SFC US Army 32y 8m 13d RET

Offline powermad

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 02:09:07 PM »
Thanks Dave. I couldn't find a decent bit to cut the crown, so I ended up using the round end of a carriage bolt chucked in a cordless drill on low speed. Wrapped around some 100 grit and taped it on to cut the crown. Finished it up by doing the same with 320 grit. Turned out a heck of a lot nicer than I expected. Just waiting for some cold blue to come in to finish it up. If I could find someone to drill/tap it for $10 a hole I'd go for it. I've been getting prices like $25/hole. $100 is alot more than I paid for the gun.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 02:43:00 PM »
Shipping two ways = $30.00, $10.00 each for 4 holes = $40.00, seems even at that $70.00 is a lot for mounting a scope base.  I would say that .035 to .050 would be plenty of thickness I have seen shotguns that have drill through holes in the chamber that still function just fine.  Why would you want to use a Thompson mount?  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline powermad

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 02:51:34 PM »
Thompson mount is the perfect contour,  has 4 mounting holes for a bit of overkill, and most importantly, I have one.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 03:24:30 PM »
For the extra 25 dollar hole it has you could buy two H&R mounts.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline powermad

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 04:41:48 PM »
Now that...is true. I think I'll probably go ahead and tap this myself. Sounds like I have plenty of meat to work with on this chamber. I think I'd be more comfortable tapping the barrel than I would be using epoxy.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 05:10:13 PM »
The way I do it is to place the barrel on the kitchen counter muzzel towards the back splash.  put the scope base on the barrel in position, lay somehting long and straight like a pencil across the base and level it by sighting across it looking at the top of the backsplash.  When it is level and in the right position, drip a drop of super glue in a couple of holes and let it set.  Then you can select a drill that just clears the hole in the base, use it to mark the spot a few thousanths deep, tap off the base and drill with your tap size drill.  Good luck.  Larry