Author Topic: New reloading stuff from Mid South  (Read 1638 times)

Offline 1 farmer

• Trade Count: (2)
New reloading stuff from Mid South
« on: March 31, 2010, 08:45:09 AM »
I just got my new Mid South Shooters catalog the other day. I noticed they have some more stuff under the Smart Reloader brand. They now have a single stage press for $29.90!. I had to call and see if it was a typo and they said no thats the real price but it is back ordered.I also see a electronic powder dispencer and scale combo and a few tumblers and a bench rest powder measure. I thought Lee stuff was low priced but that press made me wonder about the quality of it. Has anyone got one yet? The other items are a little more in line on price compared to other brands. Just the press was  crazy low priced.I wonder who is making this stuff or if its from a few different companies with Smart Reloader name on it?

Offline huntducks

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Re: New reloading stuff from Mid South
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 10:41:43 AM »
I'm sure the press is made in China.

What's that saying about getting what you pay for.
Remember it's where the first bullet goes out of a cold barrel that counts most.

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 05:54:07 PM »
i don't know where the stuff is made but it looked to me like clones of different companies' stuff. i think the press is lee and the tumbler is Lyman...

if that's the case then it's great stuff for the price.
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 01:24:07 AM »
I read a write up of it on another forum and the owner thought it was junk.
blue lives matter

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 07:46:19 AM »
i don't know where the stuff is made but it looked to me like clones of different companies' stuff. i think the press is lee and the tumbler is Lyman...

if that's the case then it's great stuff for the price.
Yep, looks like that, and their powder trickler looks like a Redding (maybe repainted rejects/seconds from other mfgs.). I read about the press on antother site. the guy that bought it said it didn't meet his expectations, even for a low bottom priced press. I believe he said there was .015" slop in the ram...

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 01:55:15 PM »
I bought a cheap Lee press to punch out primers with and occasionally pull bullets, but not for any thing else. Buy a quality cast iron press to do your serious reloading with - it WILL last your life time so choose wisely.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline powdersmoke

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 12:23:39 AM »
      I got an ad recently from Midsouth on the Smartreloader products and it says Swiss Engineered and Italian Designed. They have a website www.smartreloadermfg.com that has a list of they're products. It says that they're powder trickler which looks like Redding is steel and weighs 2 pounds. They have some things that look pretty good, but time will tell how good.   Stan

Offline jlchucker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 04:17:29 AM »
I've been a working man nearly all of my life.  I can't afford to buy cheap tools.

Offline DEACONLLB

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 12:54:23 PM »
That press looks just like the new Lee classic cast press only a different color same type handle but mounted a little different with the lee you can change left to right and also the stroke angle frame shape and mounting angle seem to be the same.

Deaconllb
Korean war vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing K14 Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defense Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the  CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.

Offline bajabill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 10:58:22 AM »
I just ordered the tumbler from them, we will see how it holds up.  I dont expect to be running it a lot so for $30, I think it is worth a try. 

Like always, if you are not going to use something much, or that hard, and you dont expect a high quality piece of machinery, cheaper is better than a high dollar dust collector.

Offline mr.frosty

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 04:04:43 PM »
I been wondering about the press and the accessories.
Saw them at the local outfitters and they have/had the press and reloading kit.
IIRC the kit came with press, priming tool and trickler. Gonna check on it next day I'm off.
" People should say what they mean and mean what they say. Life is too short to be lead down the wrong path."

Offline bajabill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 04:48:11 AM »
Tumbler worked fine - at least once  :(   says made in china.

I also picked up a midsouth brand sifter box.  This is huge, much bigger in person than I expected.  In the end, I believe it was not needed and I could have saved 20 bucks but I was on a roll while shopping. 

All said and done, I spent $75 to clean brass, maybe I should have spent the money on new brass ???.  But, I have been fighting powder smoked brass on my 357max and 445sm lately so this did the trick.  I have many rounds of standard rifle brass that have never seen or need a cleaning.