Author Topic: multiple ball or shot loads for 45 Colt?  (Read 494 times)

Offline hansg/Ups

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
multiple ball or shot loads for 45 Colt?
« on: March 31, 2010, 09:03:16 AM »
Anyone have experience with multiple ball or shot loads in 45 Colt[45lc]?
I'll be loading for a Ruger Redhawk 5.5".
I had considered a Taurus Judge,but it sounds like there are durability/
quality issues with Taurus;I can use my Contender if I only want to use 410 shells.
The Redhawk is plenty strong and my first choice for general carry.
I have occasional varmint problems while in the garden and orchard.
Thanks.

Offline spinafish

• Trade Count: (24)
Re: multiple ball or shot loads for 45 Colt?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 11:55:19 AM »
I have made two ball loads for my Bisley in 45 LC.  I used pure lead balls of .454 diameter and weighed them to match the powder charge with bullet(s) weight.  I flared the case and used my seating die to insert the first ball then just followed the 1st with the 2nd.  I used Red Dot I believe.  I used to it for fun when teaching someone to shoot revolvers. Very light recoil and the two holes in the target really messes with their mind!  fairly accurate out to about 20 yds.  I used the lowest charge..just wanted to balls to clear the barrel..not a load for use on animals.
the most heartwreching words any man will ever hear
"depart from me, I never knew you"  Jesus
We may ignore, but we can nowhere evade the presence of God. The world is crowded with Him. He walks everywhere incognito.” C.S. Lewis

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 11:58:06 AM »
Small dose of bullseye, gas check, shot, gas check, roll crimp.  My info came out of "Sixguns by Keith".  You can also find it here:
http://www.gunweek.com/2005/feature1001.html
   and here
http://www.castbullet.com/reload/44shot.htm

Steve :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 02:43:05 AM »
 I'm doing 45 colt shotshells right now. I took the easy way & have 50 of the empty Speer capsuls from Midway. I cut open a few older shotshells to get some #8 shot. Speer includes data with the capsuls. I plan to use 5.7 grains of Titegroup & the COL as listed. I have the cases primed,capsuls filled & ready to charge & do the rest. It's been so nice though I've been outside most of yesterday & maybe today too. I have a 4 5/8" Blackhawk & the buddy has a Judge. I'd take the Ruger over a Judge any day.

I've even read about a guy taking a 410 shell, cutting it shorter, taking 1/2 the powder out & shooting it in a 45 colt chamber. You would have to reseal it of course. No I'm not recommending doing it, I'll stick to 45 colt shotshells.
NRA, Veteran