Author Topic: WGRS size selection questions  (Read 610 times)

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
WGRS size selection questions
« on: March 31, 2010, 02:22:38 PM »
Have 20g pardner.  H&R has no rear sights in stock.  Midway sells one (#698217) for 'Topper" H&R rifles with 1/2" radius breech.  Pardner barrel breech measures 1 1/8"- diameter (9/16" radius).  Is this the right sight, or is there another more correct model?

Seems I would have to put sandpaper between sight and breech and reshape it to fit flush.  Will this work?

Seems I will also have to do this with the shorty ramp front to get it flush with the muzzle end.

Advise please.
Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: WGRS size selection questions
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 02:53:35 PM »
H&R barrels are 1.1XX" in diameter at the chamber, the WGRS-H&R will fit fine, that's what it's made for.  ;)

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,64605.msg391505.html#msg391505
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 03:39:22 PM »
I just got a WGRS in the mail today from another member on a parts trade and mounted it on one of my H&R's about an hour ago. It fit perfectly....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 04:40:43 PM »
Thank you.  That's what I need to know.

Be Well.

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 08:25:45 AM »
Last query on this I hope.  (Too long probably) I can do sight height calculation OK...

Already measured the 20ga, breech is 1.1 and shortened barrel @ muzzle is 0.817, math: (1.1-0.815=0.285/2=0.1425 difference (9/64th)).  Ready to input sight heights...

What's the height range of the Williams WGRS or where can I find it, so I can calculate how high a Williams shorty ramp and front sight? The Williams company site and a Google search didn't turn up any dimensions for the WGRS height I can use in the height calculations. 

Tim, The example links give show ramp and front sight are dimensioned, but the WGRS has no height dimensions for calculations.

"MSP Ret", you said you'd just installed one.  Got any height info I can use please?  Anyone else?  Just sick and tired of ordering something, and having to play the return for swap because it doesn't fit game.

Oh, Natchez website lists the WGRS for $29.30 & the Shorty ramp for $17.92. 

Thanks all...

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 08:44:46 AM »
Sorry, no info yet buddy, installed the sight on a .50 Cal Huntsman barrel (the breech diameters are the same as other Handi barrels). Many of the .50 Huntsman barrel came with the poor excuse plastic sights and I have not shot it with the stock front sight yet....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 09:06:45 AM »
OK buddy, I just went out back and boresighted the ML with the recently intalled WGRS. With the rear peep right where it was when I put it on, just below center of the scale on the ramp, it is perfectly centered at 50 yards. The front sight is the original plastic ML "Firesight" with the red insert. The front sight measures approximately .560 from the top of the ML barrel and is right at 1.006" from the center of the bore. The barrrel diameter at the muzzle is .893".
I hope this helps....<><....:)  

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 02:38:14 PM »
Awesome help you've given me.  Thank you all, especially MSP Ret. 
I really appreciate the extra work you all have done to help me out here.
When the gun is done I'll post pictures.
Happy Easter to all of you and yours if that's appropriate.

Be Well...

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 04:56:01 PM »
It's appropriate buddy and thanks. A very Happy Easter to you and yours as well. I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures and all the best to you...<><....:)