Author Topic: Carriage building sequence ??  (Read 492 times)

Offline cjensen

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
Carriage building sequence ??
« on: April 02, 2010, 07:33:05 AM »
What would be the recommended sequence in building a field carriage?
My goal in life is to have a carbon footprint the size of Al Gore's. I can be living the good life and know I am not causing global warming. Make Al your carbon standard.

Offline Zulu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
Re: Carriage building sequence ??
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 07:38:36 AM »
cjensen,
I think you will have to have your wheels first.  Then you can figure out an axle and then design an axle housing.  Everything else sits on top of that.
Building your own wheels is a challenge or there are sponsors who can provide them.
What is the scale you are considering?
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline cjensen

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 07:46:30 AM »
Zulu, 2/3 scale. I was afraid the wheels would be first.
I will be buying the wheels. 38-40"
Is it possible to build the axle and hold it up on stands until I have the funds and room to get the wheels?
I am going to need to build a shed before I get that far along.
My goal in life is to have a carbon footprint the size of Al Gore's. I can be living the good life and know I am not causing global warming. Make Al your carbon standard.

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 08:55:22 AM »
How will you build the axle without the wheels?  are the hubs straight internally ? or tapered ?

if you know the height of the wheel from the center to the ground you can estimate the length of

trail and cut that to shape, and build the cheeks etc. but it would be helpful to have the wheels first.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 09:51:56 AM »
I have modified those tapered or cone shaped inserts inside the wheel hub to accept a round bar for an axle.  I did it on two pairs of 54" wheels for two limbers I was building.
Obviously you need the wheels.
I don't see how you do it without them.  What if you build something, then get your wheels, and there is some measurement different from what you thought. ???
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 10:01:34 AM »
If you are building from a set of plans and those wheels you are buying were built to the same set of plans you should only have some minor fitting to do.  No problem.

But if the wheels are only the same height as the wheels you need and not built to the same scale you will have problems.  Proportions, axle dimensions and axle attachments all will be issues.

You need to know as much as you can about the wheels you are buying regarding these areas before you build.

Proportions may or may not be real critical.  For example is the wheel a 54 inch wheel scaled down 2/3's or is it a 52 inch wheel cut down to 38 to 40 inches. That would be ugly. 

Also, do you need 38 inch wheels or 40 inch wheels?  2 inches different is a significant difference and will change angle of trail, which can affect barrel clearance on the trail  between cheek and length of elevator screw.  This also will change the angle of thrust for the trunnions transmitted to cheeks and cap squares during recoil.   The gun could jump instead of roll, and loosen everything up.

Offline guardsgunner

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 11:32:52 AM »
we made and mated our box's and axle stub's and gave them to the wheelwright first then worked trunnion straps and the nuts bolts ect.