Author Topic: .45 Colt as deer cartridge  (Read 729 times)

Offline Raza

• Trade Count: (0)
.45 Colt as deer cartridge
« on: November 16, 2003, 03:33:23 AM »
Hi All--

I'm a Cowboy Action Shooter.  I already use my coach gun to hunt upland birds, especially quail, with very good success.  I have been thinking of using a lever action CAS rifle, probably a Rossi '92 or similar make, for deer hunting (Eastern Whitetails in mixed cover--second growth woodlot and farm field edges).  It would be chambered for .45 long Colt.  Please note: I would think of this as similar to hunting with shotgun slugs and would keep the shots easy (broadside or quartering, not moving) and also within a limited distance, say about 75-80 yards with iron sights.  I'm an experienced deer hunter and I never ever take chancy shots.  Hence my question to you--What's your opinion of the .45 LC as a deer cartridge under these conditions?  

Also, given that you all think this is a legitimate deer hunting practice (I actually think it is but I want to run it by others) what factory loads would you use for the hunt?  I do reload, but I am cautious and tend to prefer factory ammo for hunting conditions unless I have a very good reason to do otherwise.

EDIT:  Thank you Huntsman for your advice!  I thought I would edit just to clarify a point--if all factory loads for .45 Colt are not created equal, is there one factory load that would perform best on deer?  While I do reload, I usually use the factory ammo when hunting.  It's a peace-of- mind thing.  My experience is that factory ammo made in the U.S. is uniformly built to rigorous ballistic standards and always goes off.  Though I take care with my reloads, I do not want to risk losing or wounding a beautiful deer because I was momentarily slightly off in my measuring, or because I did not seat a primer or treat a case quite correctly.  Thanks!

Thanks,

Raza

Offline huntsman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2003, 03:57:05 AM »
Welcome Raza!

It sounds as though you are not only a thoughtful and conscientious hunter, but you also know the capabilities and limitations of your weapons as well. We need more of your kind in the woods.

You are correct in your analysis of the .45 Colt as a limited, but capable, deer cartridge. Be prepared for some tracking of wounded animals with little or no blood trail, as the .45 probably won't blow through and leave an exit hole on most shots. It does, however, have the necessary energy to effectively kill whitetails at the ranges you are limiting yourself to with careful shot placement.

Since I don't reload, I don't have any advice about handloads you might try. You will need velocities on the upper end of the .45 spectrum for deer.

Good luck and happy hunting!  8)
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.

Offline Raza

Edit BTT
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2003, 04:46:08 AM »
After reading Huntsman's very kind post, I've edited my original a bit.  All opinions, questions, and comments welcome; even hostile ones!  I don't want to try this unless it makes good sense.

Best,

Raza

Offline GBO MGMT

• Administrator
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2003, 06:02:12 AM »
The .45 Colt is an excellent deer round. Fully the equal if not superior to the .44 Magnum. BUT not with CAS loads or most factory loads. It will do OK even with those but is far less than the .44 Mag when using them. Bullet Bore makes some super loads for the .45 Colt and might be the best of them. I think COR-BON also does. Personally I'd use one of those if I were stuck with factory ammo. But being a reloader I'd reload for it. I am and I do.

Use the Hornady 250 XTP or any 250-275 grain cast bullet and you'll have an excellent deer killer.

GB

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2003, 01:44:57 PM »
what he said.   just dont use cowboy loads; make sure you get some +p loads.  you will pay a bit more for them; but it is money well spent.   if i were you i would just make some reloads.   seeing as you do already you could select your bullet and power level.   i trust my reloads more than i do factory ammo.   i have never had one of mine misfire; velocities are more consistant, and the exact components i want are being used.   if i couldnt trust them, i wouldnt bother with reloading at all.

Offline Raza

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2003, 02:40:39 PM »
Ah, well said-- a good point.  I was taught by an old timer who said always to use factory loads.  But perhaps that time is past.

Raza

Offline magyars4

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2003, 11:13:12 AM »
I have taken 2 small bucks and 1 turkey with my Winchester 45 colt trapper.
ALL bullets have penetrated completely, all were broadside shots, both bucks covered 50-75 ft before they dropped!
I use 11.2 gr of AA#5 AND A 250 hornady XTP bullet
I have recently been informed that this load is produciing 1100FPS at the muzzle, not much faster than a CAS load.
FWIW

Offline 454Puma

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2003, 06:28:08 AM »
Raza
 Depends on the size of your deer- 250 -260 gr for lighter deer.If your deer are big or Muley's 300-325 gr bullets are better. Loaded heavy they can and will kill deer out to 200 yds with complete pass through! Don't want to chase  a deer drill him through the shoulders with a cast bullet he will not go anywhere. The 45 LC is just as good if not better then the 44 mag in a rifle. Hell I'd even use mine on elk -100 yd max though great timber cartridge!! :grin:
One shot , One Kill