Author Topic: police sharp shooters scope  (Read 435 times)

Offline Redneckguy77

• Trade Count: (0)
  • punchin 10's all day
police sharp shooters scope
« on: April 03, 2010, 05:42:04 PM »
does any one know the range of power on a scope the police sharp shooters use. thanks for your replies

Offline sgtt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
Re: police sharp shooters scope
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 03:10:49 AM »
There is no specified power.  I would guess 95% use what comes on the "package" that the dept. ordered.  Back in the day we had Leupold Vari X II. 3 X 9 because that is what Remington was putting on they police package at the time.
"Freedom, for some, is problematic.  It does not grant emancipation from responsibility."

Offline diggler1833

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Re: police sharp shooters scope
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 04:39:19 PM »
Like stated above, it depends on the department.  Some departments have the money and willingness to provide the absolute best, others either can't or think that an inadequate product is adequate.

Most shots are going to be close range for a police dept.  There have been many times where 51yds has been thrown out in print for the average engagement range, and shots over 100yds are almost unheard of for a dept.  I don't think that there really is a statistic, but would be willing to bet that most shots are inside or around 50yds.

I personally don't think that anything more than 10x would be necessary for a police unit.  Then again, I don't get paid to make those decisions either.  YMMV.