Author Topic: Shotgun barrel fitting  (Read 1099 times)

Offline tiger yat

• Trade Count: (1)
Shotgun barrel fitting
« on: April 05, 2010, 09:58:52 AM »
I just received the 12 gauge barrel with sights and screw-in choke that I bought on the H&R classifieds. (Thanks wallacem.)  It came with an improved cylinder choke, and it should be a primeaux turkey gun once I put a full choke on it.   

It basicly fits.  But it feels tighter than the original 44Mag barrel, requiring a solid push to fully close.  The latch does wiggle when it locks up.  The 44 barrel just drops when the release is pushed; the shotgun barrel must be pushed open and nudged further to get the ejector to pop.  Also there is a small gap at the breach face, bigger near the top than lower down, that light will shine through. 

Based on my read of the barrel fitting, I'm thinking I need to file a little on the pivot point of the barrel to allow the barrel to swing up closed a little more.  Do the shotguns have to fit as perfectly as a rifle?  I am a rookie at barrel fitting.

Offline gjdykeman

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Shotgun barrel fitting
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 11:47:29 AM »
I just received the 12 gauge barrel with sights and screw-in choke that I bought on the H&R classifieds. (Thanks wallacem.)  It came with an improved cylinder choke, and it should be a primeaux turkey gun once I put a full choke on it.   

It basicly fits.  But it feels tighter than the original 44Mag barrel, requiring a solid push to fully close.  The latch does wiggle when it locks up.  The 44 barrel just drops when the release is pushed; the shotgun barrel must be pushed open and nudged further to get the ejector to pop.  Also there is a small gap at the breach face, bigger near the top than lower down, that light will shine through. 

Based on my read of the barrel fitting, I'm thinking I need to file a little on the pivot point of the barrel to allow the barrel to swing up closed a little more.  Do the shotguns have to fit as perfectly as a rifle?  I am a rookie at barrel fitting.

I bought a 12g 27-1/2" Pardner barrel off of Gunbrokers. Modified Choke. It fit on my NY SB2 frame well. No sideways play but a little rattle up and down. The release was a little loose when closed. I shimmed with a coke can shim and it was just as yours and would not latch.  Tight. I made a smaller shim and hammered it thinner. Works like new. I fired 25 rounds this weekend, high brass, low brass, and slugs. My purple shoulder made me stop. Brutal. No space between breach and barrel. I am satisfied it fits. Drill and tap for High Vis Muzzleloader sights this evening. PS I reload my own shells with heavy steel shot wads, un-slit and #6 lead shot. I have a Lee classic hand loader. Pattern at about 12" at 30y.
SFC US Army 32y 8m 13d RET

Offline tiger yat

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 12:26:48 PM »
"My purple shoulder made me stop. Brutal."  .... I was afraid of that myself, that's why it will be mainly for turkeys; I will not have to shoot too many times except for the initial patterning. 

Since it has sights, I have the option to go with the extra-full choke so I can use some of the lighter turkey/pheasant loads.

I hope to shoot it next weekend after I file it down a little.

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 01:45:04 PM »
Turkey time. A PAST SUPER ULTRA EXTRA PLUS MAGNUM pad and shooting gloves help a lot with the purple.

Offline tiger yat

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 04:33:54 PM »
I also tried the new 12GA barrel on my son's 45-70.  On that rifle it fits very tight (just like his 45-70 barrel), but it closes completely and there are no gaps at all. 
The forestock is also much tighter on his gun with either barell, than my forestock is.  I think that barrel may be for his gun since it fits just like his original rifle barrel. 

I may hunt for another barrel for me now. 

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 05:31:40 PM »
 Took me about 15 minutes to fit my first barrel it was a 22" 20ga mod barrel and I had a stone from a dremel tool that I put in my cordless drill, it fit the pivot point perfectly. I would stone some off and then try it. Once it locked up I shot it, it pooped open so I stoned it some more and shot it again. kept doing this until it didn't pop open any more. it's being drilled and tapped for a scope mount, and is going to be my smooth bore slugger.
 The Tracker II 12ga I bought here locked right up on the SB1 frame I got from another member here, like it was made for it.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga