Author Topic: rendezvous  (Read 2474 times)

Offline mountainman09

• Trade Count: (0)
rendezvous
« on: April 05, 2010, 02:25:58 PM »
just wondering how many people here do the rondy and what era

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
Re: rendezvous
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 03:19:02 PM »
I take in four or five every year within a reasonable drive of home. Here in Colorado it is strictly Rocky Mountain fur trade era which is what "rendezvous" means to me. I shouldn't have said "strictly", there's nothing strict about them.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 03:28:34 PM »
I take in four or five every year

4 or 5 a year!?   :o  Why shoot boy!   ::)  When I was in my prime I been know to have 4 or 5 rendezvous A NITE!   8)  I recollect this one time... blond, brunette & redhead, all at...  :-\   Uh, ... Rocky Mountain you say? ...  Fur trade?   :-[  nevermind...
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline The Hermit

• A Real Regular
  • Security is the ability to take care of yourself.
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 05:28:50 PM »
I ''seed'' a real purdy one at a rondy once and was gonna take her back to the woods wid me, but I don think she can cook.   :D

The Hermit

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 05:42:59 PM »
4 or 5 a year!?   :o  Why shoot boy!   ::)  When I was in my prime I been know to have 4 or 5 rendezvous A NITE!   8)  I recollect this one time... blond, brunette & redhead, all at...  :-\   Uh, ... Rocky Mountain you say? ...  Fur trade?   :-[  nevermind...
  and i thought i was doing good with two brunettes.......  if'n that blonde, brunette, and redhead story is for reals, you are my hero. 

Offline coyotejoe

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 05:20:26 AM »
All I can say to you AtlLaw is--- "it ain't the whistle that pulls the train"! ::)
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 06:50:24 AM »
Yah? Well  >:(  Since we on trains, You can't drive a railroad spike with a tack hammer neither!  So there!   8)

Sorry mountainman09,  :-[  I get carried away onct in a while... didn't mean to hijack yo thread... <but them gals sho was purdy!>

If you promise to keep posting I'll promise never to do it again... um, I'll promise to try to never do it again!   ;D

I wonder if they have any a them ron-day-vous here in Jawja?   :-\  I've thought about them since I got interested in building BP rifles.  I actually prefer the French and Indian War period though.  Roger's Rangers!   ;D

That was Spencer Tracy's fault.  He played in "Northwest Passage."  Saw it when I was a kid and that was all it took...  Spent my childhood sneaking around the woods with a hatchet and knife...  :-\  'till I reached puberty anyway...

'course that didn't stop my sneakin around.   :(  A lot more dangerous then the woods too.   :o  Never did see an indian when I was sneakin around the woods but I sure ran into a bunch of irate daddy's sneakin around after that!   :P

But then I started watchin John Wayne war movies!  Say, did John Wayne ever go to a ron-day-vou?  I 'member a movie he played in with Oliver Hardy but they was Revolutionary war I think.   :-\

No matter, mountainman09 started this thread about rendezvous!  Y'all try to stay on topic will ya!   ::)
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 08:41:40 AM »
5 in one night , whew .
If i did that i would get nervous everytime a kid yelled daddy when i went past a play ground .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 08:47:21 AM »
5 in one night , whew .
If i did that i would get nervous everytime a kid yelled daddy when i went past a play ground .
lol!

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 06:08:41 PM »
Ya, we git to a few  ;)

found elsewhere

Offline mountainman09

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 02:10:17 PM »
thats okay altlaw i see you are a U S M V patch holder i started with them as a supporter then set up retired with patch that how i got into this rondy stuff and b/p plus it lets me spend more time with family but as for picking on my thread thats okay i see you like the f/i era thats mine also a good friend of mine kinda got me started in it and iam sure you heard of him Robert Griffing

Offline The Hermit

• A Real Regular
  • Security is the ability to take care of yourself.
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 06:29:16 PM »
I think that i would like to go to one before I croak. Are there any in the northeast?

Necchi, is that your outfit in the photo?

The Hermit

Offline coyotejoe

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 04:26:40 AM »
Yah? Well  >:(  Since we on trains, You can't drive a railroad spike with a tack hammer neither!  So there!   8)
Oh yes you CAN drive a railroad spike with a tack hammer, you just have to stay at it a lot longer! ;D
There are Rendezvous in every state but they are generally not well advertised, if you find one you will get info there on others. It's not that they are trying to keep it a secret, they just don't advertise.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 07:48:13 AM »
Like taking a row boat to England , does anyone really benifit from it ?
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 12:16:38 PM »
Are there any in the northeast?
Necchi, is that your outfit in the photo

Yup, that's one set-up, 9x12 wall, smokehole with a wood stove, 14x16 awning, it is a "home away from home" I bring that'n if it's the two of us. Got a 12X single pole I use fer myself, quicker/easier set-up.

What part of the northeast Hermit? Maybe I can find ya one near too ya. No matter where ya go, or what part of the country, walking into a vous' is like visiting family  ;D
found elsewhere

Offline mountainman09

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2010, 01:26:47 PM »
hey hermit there is a lot in the north east .just depends where you live

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2010, 04:57:06 PM »

Been known to do a few of them myself (have a powerful thirst for apple pie ya know).  ;)

Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline Ladobe

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2010, 04:57:53 PM »

Another one...

Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2010, 06:34:35 PM »
Gadd's!
 I'll bet that second one comes with a warning,,

"Bring your own water!"   :D

Tell me, From where ya took that first photo,,Did ya just sit and "Slide" down to camp?  :D :D
found elsewhere

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2010, 07:36:59 PM »
Here's the '93 Pacific Nat'l.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Ladobe

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2010, 08:37:22 AM »
Gadd's!
 I'll bet that second one comes with a warning,,

"Bring your own water!"   :D

Tell me, From where ya took that first photo,,Did ya just sit and "Slide" down to camp?  :D :D

When you live on the Mojave Desert you soon learn to have a large supply of water in all of your vehicles all of the time.  There is no water to speak of anywhere on the desert at any time of the year, so even driving between small towns can become an issue without water if you break down (temps can run from -30 to 130+).   This spot isn't all that far from Death Valley and is the winter camp site for a local free trapper groups bi-monthly weekend camps (and they used to hold one of their two annual week long rondy's here).   We've been snowed on out in Lovell Wash and near washed away by flash floods a few times.   Their summer camp is high in the mountains in the background at Blue Tree.

Naw, these are just little footyhills at about 4400' with the camp at about 4000' down in a wash.   Although when there's snow on the ground the road (bottom of photo) can be a bit of s "slide" from here down.   The mountain in the background climbs to just shy of 12,000' about 6-7 miles north of this camp.   Summer camp is near there at about 9,000'.

BTW, their other (now only) annual rondy is the top photos, and is just a few miles east on the other side of these footyhills.

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2010, 06:20:37 PM »
Second full weekend in June, Bemidji MN, (If you want the actual info P.M. me and I will send you for sure info.) good people, good time. And yes any rendezvous is like walking up to family. First one we went to we sat around a fire in the dark while a 14yr old played the theme from last of the mohikans on a fiddle -perfectly. It was as close to a perfect night as ever.
We got into it and hit it for many years, laid off now for a while but my son wants to start again. I was "flintman" when we were active at it. It was a great group of people to be around. Late 1700 furtrade voyager, Still have many of my friends who go all the time. Some downsized to trekking groups like the lac supiorior group, (VERY PERIOD CORRECT) but many are still just like we left them fun rendezvous-ers. :) Had a 15x one pole -wish I never sold it. Now I am down to 2 big awnings and a 7x7 with a bell.  Take care, Brent

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2010, 08:07:55 PM »
Second full weekend in June, Bemidji MN,

I'll be there! First time at that vous, gotta crank-up the 45-70  ;D , usually hit several others in Minn.
Isle, Forest city, Perham, White oaks, Harris, Owattana,
I still look kinda like that avatar,,You'll find me shootin'  ;)
found elsewhere

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2010, 05:29:29 PM »
Yeah they started the cartrige shoot in the back field back when I was there helping but I never did try shooting that far. My very favorite was putting on or participating in the trail walk.   We loved the dance at Perham.... The one out by kindred N.D. was always pretty. I guess several of them have quit, Warba, Park Rapids..... Sad but Just like I drifted off the clubs can't put on a rendy if the club size is too small.
If we go I will watch for the guy in a hat with a beard... Have you been to the Bemidji shoot before? It is a pretty camp. Throw in your primative bow if you have one, that is pretty popular at Bemidji as well. I will find your camp if you PM me right before and remind me to bring you some flint....I still have a bunch and I don't mind giving some to a buddy. ( I just can't afford to ship it, but since you will be in town   :)  ) Take care. Brent

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2010, 06:09:20 PM »
mite-a met ya already, your wife take first last year at Perham?
found elsewhere

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2010, 07:46:05 PM »
No although she can out shoot me anyday :)  We have been out of circulation for a few years. But I am sure we know many of the same people. One of my best friends is called Fawn killer. Another friend is copper, Shadow, Eli, Backstop, Bob & Wanda, I am not even sure of all their "names" and don't want to put all their real ones down.... But I will try to visit you if you pm me Would be fun to meet someone from Graybeards in the non virtual world. - Brent

Offline Rock Home Isle

• A Real Regular
  • This is Rock Home Isle
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2010, 02:14:22 PM »
just wondering how many people here do the rondy and what era

I started shooting blackpowder when I was in Junior High...back in the 70's.  :-[

I went to my 1st Rondi this last summer...Ft Bridger Wyoming....had a blast.

I've always enjoyed trekking in period garb...I've been doin that before it was callled "trekking". My historical time period is mid-1700's...F&I period. History is so cool.  8)
“Lost?? Hmmm... been fearsome confused for a month or two, but I ain't never been lost!”
Henry Frap the "Mountain Men"

“Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Mother Gue said to me; ‘Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men.’  "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline.”
Del Gue in "Jeremiah Johnson"

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2010, 03:14:38 PM »
That's kinda funny Rock,
 I fell into the same mode, started shooting ml's in the 80's,,made my own stuff, studied history, tried a bunch of the "old way's" of doing thing's,,didn't find or even known Rendezvous existed till the late 90's!
 It was almost like I was a "closet" buckskinner, even family thought I was nut's. Sure am happy I found a bunch of other like minded fruitcakes to hang out with, even if it's only a few weeks each year, it's lead too some close freindships that will last a lifetime.
found elsewhere

Offline Rock Home Isle

• A Real Regular
  • This is Rock Home Isle
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2010, 03:40:22 PM »
That's kinda funny Rock,
 I fell into the same mode, started shooting ml's in the 80's,,made my own stuff, studied history, tried a bunch of the "old way's" of doing thing's,,didn't find or even known Rendezvous existed till the late 90's!
 It was almost like I was a "closet" buckskinner, even family thought I was nut's. Sure am happy I found a bunch of other like minded fruitcakes to hang out with, even if it's only a few weeks each year, it's lead too some close freindships that will last a lifetime.

Hey Necchi,

Small world...and great minds.  8)

I took my wife with me, had a great  time. I went because I wanted to order a gun from TVM and they were at the "doins". I met some great people and they enjoy the same time periods and activities as I do...Wow how cool is that?  8)

I had such a good time that I took my science club students to the Ft Lupton rondi here in Colorado...

The kids had a blast, literally..they got to shoot a few times at the range. Blackpowder folks are the best...
“Lost?? Hmmm... been fearsome confused for a month or two, but I ain't never been lost!”
Henry Frap the "Mountain Men"

“Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Mother Gue said to me; ‘Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men.’  "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline.”
Del Gue in "Jeremiah Johnson"

Offline Dances with Geoducks

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2010, 07:11:52 PM »

Been known to do a few of them myself (have a powerful thirst for apple pie ya know).  ;)

The Mrs Apple Pie is saught out at every Rondy we go to.

Got to get gussied up to shoot, its the only civilized thing to do