Author Topic: Pistol grip shaped stock versus straight stock?  (Read 1701 times)

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
Pistol grip shaped stock versus straight stock?
« on: April 07, 2010, 07:51:20 AM »
Until the late 1800's rifle/musket stocks were straight, then they started getting pistol shaped, and now all serious shooters use a pistol shaped stock.  I have owned a bunch of Mosin Nagant rifles and a muzzle loader that had straight stocks, seems to add more angle to the trigger finger and wrist, but I managed to shoot them just fine.

What is the difference in advantage between the 2 types of stocks, and what does it do to the trigger finger/hand efficiency?  I figure somebody here has discussed this with competitive rifleman/hunters.  I have seen some plains rifles with brass ornaments that gave the hand some pistol like holding angle, so there were shooters who figured the shape would have some advantage even back in the old days.

Thanks.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
Re: Pistol grip shaped stock versus straight stock?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 08:30:13 AM »
The pistol grip is much more natural and ergonomic.  It allows a better trigger pull.  It allows you to pull the rifle back into your shoulder.  The straight grip look more nostalgic and is lighter.  It's is inferior in all other respects.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 08:36:37 AM »
I have shotguns and rifles with both.
I guess it is a matter of estetics.  I do not seem to shoot any better with the Lever guns, bolt rifles, or shotguns that have a pistol grip over the ones that do not.

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 09:20:25 AM »
A stright stock on a rifle allows many to use the stock in comfort . A pistol grip pretty much establishes hand location and not much adjustment on reaching the trigger . To name but a couple .
 On a shotgun a stright stock is used when 2 triggers are used so the hand can slide back on the second trigger . Yes many guns have been made that differ but that was the reason along with a stright stock allows hand position in a more stright line.
 The idea of pulling the gun back with your trigger hand goes aginst all ideas of trigger control . The off hand should control both rifle and shotgun . The trigger hand should not be under stress and used to get a movement free trigger pull.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 09:26:00 AM »
Not what the USAF Shooting Team taught us.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 09:39:04 AM »
I was taught to lean into the stock not pull it to me , different schools i guess , then also i learned on sporting rifles not assult rifles  :D

Offline PA-Joe

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 09:47:03 AM »
How they also make thumbhole stocks and verticle pistol hold stocks.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 09:53:40 AM »
I have tried many thumb hole stocks and never found one i liked . One thing is shooting from a bench target and field shooting is another . A pistol grip stock may work on a turkey gun but not a quail gun.

Offline spruce

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 01:49:34 PM »
For wingshooting I don't think it makes much difference, because your forward hand is the "controlling" hand.  Your trigger hand is mainly there to pull the trigger when your forward hand gets the barrel in the right spot.
For me the most comfortable grip for wingshooting is a somewhat "open" pistol - similar to the old Browning round knob configuration.

For rifle shooting a pistol grip type of stock is preferable as your trigger hand contributes more to gun control than in shotgun shooting.

To me a straight stock feels uncomfortable even for wingshooting, but some like the way it feels.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 01:25:19 AM »
ive allways liked straight stocks. In hard kicking rounds its no doubt the pistol grip is more comfortable though.
blue lives matter

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 03:14:33 AM »
Seems like most the accurate rifles that I have shot had clean, simple, lines...Hence-the straight stock.

When the pistol grips showed up (the Monte Carlo style) the public along with myself loved them. The bedding is comparable to the straight stock and the lines are still clean with the piece being easy to shoulder again, making them a very accurate rifle to shoot.