Author Topic: 44 Mag Hunting Bullet for Rem 788 and Ruger 77  (Read 825 times)

Offline pennsyltuckymoose

• Trade Count: (0)
44 Mag Hunting Bullet for Rem 788 and Ruger 77
« on: April 07, 2010, 11:16:14 AM »
Veral,

I'm fortunate to be able to deer hunt in Indiana with two 44 Magnum rifles,  a vintage Remington 788 and a Ruger 77... in addition to a Ruger Redhawk all in 44 magnum....  I have had great success with the rifles with Nosler 240 JHP's, but I would really like to cast my own bullets... my concern is that both rifles have clips that will limit the OAL of the cartridge as well as smooth feeding into the action...  I was thinking of something in the 250-300 grain range in weight with a flat nose design for power...Should they be gas check, or plain base?   I doubt that I would shoot anything larger than a whitetail... can you help me on this?  I looked over your website and online catalog, but the clips seem to be the main issue that I'm trying to overcome(they may not be a problem at all, but I can't really to afford a new mold that won't produce a bullet that I can use}.

Thanks for your help,

The Moose

Offline Veral

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Lead Bullet Technology
Re: 44 Mag Hunting Bullet for Rem 788 and Ruger 77
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 09:07:32 PM »
  I just deleted an interloper who answered before me.  That's a no no on this forum, and your answer better be solid scientific fact if you put one in after I give my answer.  Please read the name of this forum, it says it all.
  I recommend a 280 gr LFN, and it will need to be gas checked to get good speed with top accuracy.  Best to slug the chambers/barrels of both guns so we know exactly what you need.  That's the only way you can be sure the first mold you buy will be the perfect performer.  You are absolutely right in not wanting to buy several experimental molds.  If finances are the only reason you made that decision, you are fortunate to be forced, because experimenting with a bunch of molds, not knowing if one is right, is the most expensive and discouraging waste of time a bullet caster can get into.

Take your time and do the measuring, and I'll cut a mold that will outshoot anything you can lay hands on by experimenting. 

As for feeding out of the clips, the only way to be sure is to have me send you a couple sample bullets.  You load a dummy round with the bullet seated so it feeds smoothly in both rifles and I'll cut your mold with a crimp to match.  You can't get more custom than that, and performance will show with the first rounds you load.
Veral Smith

Offline pennsyltuckymoose

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: 44 Mag Hunting Bullet for Rem 788 and Ruger 77
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 12:45:21 AM »
Veral,

Thanks for the quick respone.   One rifle has been loaned, but it is on the way back from Indiana this weekend... I will reread your instructions on measuring on your website and hopefully can get the info out to you by the first of next week.  I appreciate you sending me some test bullets for completing the customizing... I look forward to doing business with you.

Kindest regards,

TheMoose