Author Topic: Almost ready for turkeys, finished my turkey gun. "READY"  (Read 1129 times)

Offline gjdykeman

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
Almost ready for turkeys, finished my turkey gun. "READY"
« on: April 07, 2010, 01:23:11 PM »
I finished my turkey barrel last night. 12g modified choke. I believe the loads are the key. Hand load 2-3/4" shells. Steel shot wads, unslit. 23g Unique and 1-1/4oz #6 lead shot. I have patterned these at 30y, about 12" spread. Sights a must. The goal is a killing pattern at 60y. We will see.
SFC US Army 32y 8m 13d RET

Offline Kal52

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Contributor
Re: Almost ready for turkeys, finished my turkey gun.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 02:47:23 PM »
thats a pretty cool set up you have there!

Good luck to ya!

Dave

Offline dave29

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (93)
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 03:07:00 PM »
That's a heck of a pattern from a  Modified choke.  :)

What slip on recoil pad do you have on that Survivor stock?

Offline gjdykeman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 03:28:58 PM »
That's a heck of a pattern from a  Modified choke.  :)

What slip on recoil pad do you have on that Survivor stock?
I fired this last weekend with factory loads and it made my shoulder purple. i had almost 2 lbs of lead shot in the stock. Too heavy and wrong. On the way home went to Gander Mountain. A Limb saver. Large. I think it looks good. Removed the lead and it is nice and light and fairly balanced. I will be shooting the hand loads this weekend for pattern and recoil. Again, We will see. The pattern is the steel shot wads. I used them in a muzzleloader, as recommended and they shot great.

Offline Daman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
  • Me and Papa's first double!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 04:00:03 PM »
Good luck with the 60 yard gun. I had a Mossberg 835 that I had over 500 in just in chokes scope and mounts. It never got over 50 yards. It is no longer located at the same address as me!!!!!!!!!! My stepdad bought it from me and loves it.

I do believe you are correct that the shells are key. I have seen this proved true in every shotgun that I have ever shot save one --- Browning Sweet 16 18.25" barrel. It eats anything!

Daman
Live simple. Hunt Hard. Love Life.

I thank God everyday for my loving wife and all the fond memories of hunting with my Papa from a child until now.

Please take time to take a kid hunting, it will be a life long memory and blessing for both of you!

Offline john-78

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 02:41:21 PM »
i just bought a nwxxxxxx 12 with full choke, along with a box of 3" fed mag turkey 1 7/8 #6.   8" circle at 35 yds. but oh crap, that thing nearly took my arm off.  first project tonight, take off the plastic butt plate and fit a spare recoil pad.  good luck with the short barrel.  8)

Offline gjdykeman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 04:06:50 PM »
i just bought a nwxxxxxx 12 with full choke, along with a box of 3" fed mag turkey 1 7/8 #6.   8" circle at 35 yds. but oh crap, that thing nearly took my arm off.  first project tonight, take off the plastic butt plate and fit a spare recoil pad.  good luck with the short barrel.  8)

shot 25r of the reloads today. The recoil pad worked ok, tolerable. The loads although were not what I expected. shot like a rifle. There was no spread. One ragged hole at 50y. I did manage to hit a clay, on the ground, after adjusting the sights. Maybe alright. but I want a spread. I will try cutting some slits in the wad. A good project, the gun is good. front sight way too high but compensated works well.

Offline Daman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
  • Me and Papa's first double!!!
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 04:38:31 AM »

shot 25r of the reloads today. The recoil pad worked ok, tolerable. The loads although were not what I expected. shot like a rifle. There was no spread. One ragged hole at 50y. I did manage to hit a clay, on the ground, after adjusting the sights. Maybe alright. but I want a spread. I will try cutting some slits in the wad. A good project, the gun is good. front sight way too high but compensated works well.

Impressive. I need to buy a 20 gauge reloader and get some of those wads. I bought gave up on the 12's, but still use them for driving deer.

Daman
Live simple. Hunt Hard. Love Life.

I thank God everyday for my loving wife and all the fond memories of hunting with my Papa from a child until now.

Please take time to take a kid hunting, it will be a life long memory and blessing for both of you!

Offline cantankerous

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 10:51:11 AM »
Tell us about the sights. Make? Model? Source? How mounted?

This is not idle curiosity. I'm envious!

Offline gjdykeman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 12:34:08 PM »
Tell us about the sights. Make? Model? Source? How mounted?

This is not idle curiosity. I'm envious!

They are Hi Vis muzzleloader sights. 10.00 at Gander. Bargain table. They are steel. The contour on the front site was perfect. The rear was a little steep. I ground it on small wheel in my drill so it seated. Cut off about 5/8" of the barrel to eliminate the bead hole, and re-crowned. Epoxied them front and back to hold and get it as strait as I could. Drilled and tapped using 6x48 thread, through the barrel and chamber. Used longer screws, protruding. Re=attached with screws and epoxy to fill any gaps. Ground off the excess with a long shank dremmel stone. Polished the bore and chamber with very fine, used emery cloth and then with lapping compound. Can't even see the screws. Fired many rounds, light and magnums. No issues. I have about 52.00 into this including the cost of the barrel. I am very amateur at this but learning. I put the two rear lights even with the front ramp and the front light on the target, dead on at 50y.

Offline cantankerous

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 12:04:31 PM »
Wow!!!!!!!!! Envious indeed.

Thank you.

Offline gjdykeman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2010, 05:40:14 AM »
Wow!!!!!!!!! Envious indeed.

Thank you.
Fired the adjusted loads today. 20g Unique, paper, over the powder wad, steel shot wad, #6 lead shot, feathered at the end about 1/8th" slits about 1/8th" apart. At 45-50y, 8" to 18" pattern. Hit a one gallon jug every time. Bounced it all over the range, 20 rounds. Recoil was great. Comfortable. I figure with factory loads a good turkey gun. With the hand loads a great turkey gun. Sights a must. DONE. PS A guy was watching me and asked " What kind of choke do I have" He was impressed.