Author Topic: Tasco Varmint/Tactical 2.5-10x42mm  (Read 834 times)

Offline carpediem

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Tasco Varmint/Tactical 2.5-10x42mm
« on: November 16, 2003, 07:02:05 PM »
I need some information regarding the affor-mentioned scope.

I recently purchased, ($140.00 Canadian dollars each), two of these scopes to replace a pair of Bushnell Scope Chiefs; a fixed 4x50mm and a 3-9x50mm.  The Bushnells were well over twenty years old.

The new scopes were mounted on my 30-06 and my wife's 6.5x55.  Deer are shot at an average range of 200 yards, usually at dawn or dusk.

THE QUESTION:  How does the new Tasco Varmint/Tactical scope match up to the old Bushnell scopes?  What can you tell me about the quality of Tasco scopes?  How does the Tasco compare to the Bushnell 3200 Elite?

Any other info you care to contribute would be greatly appreciated.

Kindest regards,
Carpediem

Offline plateshooter

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2003, 08:31:08 AM »
I sure can't answer all of your questions, but I too have purchased 2 of the scopes you are taking about.  The older one has finer cross hairs, but they both work fine.  I have them mounted on rimfire rifles, so I can't give you any recoil durability, but overall I am quite happy with them for what I do with them.
one shot, one plate

Offline C.J

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2004, 10:27:52 AM »
i was looking at this scope for my savage 22 bolt action its perfect for shooting plates at long distance and is exactly what im looking for in a scope but im wondering what thier quality is like and if tascos warranty still holds up cause i hear they went out of buisiness any info on them would be great thanks

Offline Bushnell Boy

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.hotspothunting.com/common/showsite.asp?dovend=0&id=29555
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2004, 12:37:55 PM »
I'm not sure of the quality of the older scopechiefs but the last series of these that were made had japanese fully multi coated optics that were very bright. I have a 4-14x50 and a 6-20x40 scopechief and like them both. Durability has been very good with both scopes.

The tasco 2.5-10x40 is not a bad scope but will not have the clarity and brightness of the scopechief. I have looked at this scope which is now manufactured by bushnell and it is a very good buy for the money. Tasco now makes a scope called the Titan which is much closer in quality to the scopechief than the target varmint series.

Elite 3200's are an even higher quality over the scopechief. Although they are only multi coated lenses the do have better light transmission. These scopes have somewhere around 92-93% transmision at 550nm. Also they are made from a titanium alow which makes them about 30% stronger than standard aircraft grade aluminum scopes. The best part about any elite is that they have the Bushnell raingaurd coating on the lens which allows you to see through it even when fogged over or when it is wet. No other scope on the market offers that.
To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk.
Thomas A. Edison (1847 - 1931)

Two roads diverged in a wood, and --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost