Author Topic: Safe lighting of fuse on smaller cannons  (Read 749 times)

Offline daninwyoming

• Trade Count: (0)
Safe lighting of fuse on smaller cannons
« on: April 07, 2010, 03:41:40 PM »
I have seen many people lean over the vent to light the fuse on small cannons. This photo shows a cannon fuse lighter using very good technique in lighting his fuse. Notice that his body is to the side and rearward to stay away from a premature recoil. His face is away from the vent. He is using his other hand to steady the lighter in his right hand. His legs are flexed under his body to allow him to make a quick exit from the danger area. Now I realize that many of us older people may not have the dexterity to get in the same position, but a study of this photo is worthwhile.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Safe lighting of fuse on smaller cannons
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 03:52:42 PM »
With a fuse that short and lighter that close it wouldn't hurt if he were wearing gauntlets.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 03:57:27 PM »
The electric light propane torch is better than a lighter.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 04:14:38 PM »

I'm thinking the arms-bearer can light it.....   ;D
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 05:32:56 PM »
How about doing it better...use a linstock.

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 06:20:49 PM »
     Ah, my favorite subject, lighting fuses.  At the risk of belaboring the point, I will tell all of you that when Mike and I attended the Casper Cannon Shoot in 2006, almost all of the 20 to 30 contestants used what we use here on the windy Colorado prairie, a simple, elec. ignition, propane torch. 

I like the fellow's obviously cautious body position, but he is way too close to the vent, in our opinion.  The firing line looks just like that of the Casper Shoot, but when we were there we did not see ANY matches or ANY linstocks, for that matter.

Just our opinion,

Mike and Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Double D

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 06:29:46 PM »
Some places won't allow linstock  and quill firing.  That may be the case in Caspar, How about it Dan, is that the case?.

Offline daninwyoming

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 08:09:26 PM »
I threw that picture out to open the discussion on safety at the matches. Good discussion so far. I think the piezo triggered propane torch is the choice of most competitors. They work well in the wind and self extinguish when the trigger is released. We had a guy using a linstock one year that had trouble getting transfer to the fuse. We had a lot of safety problems with the linstock being carried around in places it shouldn't have been. (A supervision problem?). Many shoots have outlawed fuse altogether. Friction primers only. Great for heavy full scale guns, but the pull on a friction primer is to much for the scale guns. At about a buck apiece, they are as much cost as the powder.
     My point to make with the picture was to demonstrate the power coming out of the vent. There is a good picture in the calendar submittals that shows a good vent flame. You would not want your face in that flame.

Offline Double D

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 04:31:24 AM »
Linstock and quill work well, linstock and fuse no good.  

I don't like fuse except in very controlled circumstances. To much delay between lighting fuse and ignition of powder.  

Here is side by side linstock-quill vs propane torch-fuse.  Linstock is quicker.

click on picture

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 05:12:04 AM »
Being spoiled by my days of 18th C. re-enacting I like the linstock and loose powder rather than fuse.....
I have seen fuses go out and then the waiting game begins........ loose powder unless there is an obstruction
(which should not be since you used a priming wire on the cartridge) it goes boom no fuss no standing around
waiting......... the two cannon I am building will be percussion fired so again no waiting for a fuse to burn down.....
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline daninwyoming

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 03:28:42 PM »
The advantages to using fuse are:
     1. Cheap cost of fuse. Friction primers are $0.95 apiece. Percussion caps? Linstock?
     2. A fuse allows the person time to establish a safety distance between him (her) before the piece fires. I don't think that anyone can argue the point that the farther away from a explosion, the safer you are. I DD's video notice the propane torch lighter has a chance to move away ; while the linstock igniter is standing near the piece. As a #1 man at a Fort Sill shoot several years ago, I was instructed that my position was right outside the wheel leaning away from the muzzle with my hand over my ear. The gun was a 3" parrott rifle shooting a 16 ounce charge. I was crazy enough to stand there once. You won't stand there a second time.

The disadvantage to using fuse:
      Once a fuse is light and burns down into the vent, Ignition can not be stopped. If some condition changes on the range, the only thing that can be done is to re-direct the aim of the piece. A dangerous situation where things are happening very fast. Calling a "cease fire" won't help. Make sure things on the range are set before lighting the fuse.

Offline Double D

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 03:53:23 PM »
Friction primer is probably he best safest way...if your gun is big enough...but smaller guns, I will stick with my quill and linstock.  Cheaper also.

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2010, 04:52:31 PM »
what I have seen with your quills DD , is that they must be as quick as any other ignition
as they dont burn , they do actually explode
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry