Author Topic: Question on old breaktop  (Read 709 times)

Offline timber1952

• Trade Count: (0)
Question on old breaktop
« on: April 09, 2010, 07:33:52 AM »
Anyone cane help on a H and R , has to be a 38 cal. Only markings are  Harrington and Richardson Arms Company  Worcester, mass, USA pat. oct .4,87 May 14& Aug 6,89 April 2, 95 April 7 1898. Father-in Law got it and wonder what he has. been in the family as long as he can remenber. He is 86 and a better shot then I am.   38 long colt cartrige will fit in chamber but bullit sticks out of chamber by .25 inches and wont lock up. I dont have a 38 s & w to try. Any help out there?

Offline bubba.50

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (151)
Re: Question on old breaktop
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 08:16:40 AM »
the "blue book of gun values" shows models 4 and american in 38s&w from about the turn of the century. both are 5shot double action and depending on condition ranging in value from $30 to $95. there was also an automatic ejecting top-break model valued from $55 to $160 depending on condition and a hammerless break-open at $45 to$125. don't know if this helps but there ya are, bubba.
fetch the hammer maggie-they's a bee on the baby's head!

Offline timber1952

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 08:25:40 AM »
Bubba  Yes it a start . It is a 5 shot and when you open it it itr does push the shells out . I assume that this would be a black powder 38 S&W   shell   THANK YOU !!!  for your come back

Offline dogngun

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 04:41:13 AM »
It is a .38 S&W caliber - the only .38 they made in a top break. If the caliber is stamped on the left side of the barrel, it is a modern - smokeless powder gun made after 1910 or so. The SN will be either on the bottom of the trigger guard or under the left grip on the grip strap.
I have one of the hammerless versions in my pocket right now, made in 1915, and it shoots very well for what it was designed to do.

Magtech makes the least expensive and still good quality .38 S&W ammo, and even the old black powder guns can take a ver occasional use with it - the will stretch and get loose with use, though.

To me, they are very interesting old guns, widely used self defense guns for working people of a past era...

mark