Author Topic: Choate Pistol Grip  (Read 886 times)

Offline TYM2MOTR

• Trade Count: (0)
Choate Pistol Grip
« on: April 09, 2010, 11:02:23 AM »
I am considering a Choate Pistol Grip for a newly acquired 22" 28 ga.  I see a review comment on Midway USA that the grip gives, quote...an "extremely awkward angle"...and "looks like its designed for something else."  I did a search here, not much info but I did find a photo posted on a 04 FEB 08 thread that shows it mounted on a 12ga, being grip held @ arms length.  It looks to me that perhaps the "awkward" angle may be somewhat functional in supporting the weight of the shotgun.  I have never handled a shotgun with a pistol grip before, and am basically looking more towards the convenience of a short carry than anything else, but I don't want to set up a shotgun that isn't functional.  Any one have experience with this grip...?...thoughts / advice appreciated.

Offline Daman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
  • Me and Papa's first double!!!
Re: Choate Pistol Grip
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 11:08:14 AM »
I have a just over the legal length Mossberg entry shotgun that is pump and it is good for what it's purpose is. I would not put one on a gun intended to be hunted with.

Daman
Live simple. Hunt Hard. Love Life.

I thank God everyday for my loving wife and all the fond memories of hunting with my Papa from a child until now.

Please take time to take a kid hunting, it will be a life long memory and blessing for both of you!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 03:38:36 PM »
I have one, it is not for hunting but makes a great short defense gun....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 01:37:42 PM »
My club won't let you shoot trap with them.  :'( Worth a try on a 28 gauge IMHO. Recoil should be manageable.

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 02:43:19 PM »
Just make sure your OAL is 26" or longer...Keep it legal.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 07:20:49 AM »
The pic might be me. I posted one a while back.  To me the pistol grip is a toy. A good toy because it's fun to play with and own but I can't imagine choosing it for permanent duty on any regular use guns.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 07:23:25 AM »
It has to have at least a 22" barrel to keep it legal. That actually printed on the grip.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline sachel.45

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 06:09:07 PM »
id like to have an AOW (any other weapon) and build it off of a H&R shotgun with this grip and like a 10" barrel in a 28 gauge or possibly a .410 id have to get it threaded for choke tube i think it would be a preety cool little shotgun
common sense is slowly becoming uncommon

Offline Daman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
  • Me and Papa's first double!!!
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 04:34:29 AM »
id like to have an AOW (any other weapon) and build it off of a H&R shotgun with this grip and like a 10" barrel in a 28 gauge or possibly a .410 id have to get it threaded for choke tube i think it would be a preety cool little shotgun

You won't if you don't want to see the BATF.

Daman
Live simple. Hunt Hard. Love Life.

I thank God everyday for my loving wife and all the fond memories of hunting with my Papa from a child until now.

Please take time to take a kid hunting, it will be a life long memory and blessing for both of you!

Offline sachel.45

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 05:00:37 PM »
i guess i meant id like to build one legally
common sense is slowly becoming uncommon