Author Topic: night hunting/Flares  (Read 800 times)

Offline jamaldog87

• Trade Count: (0)
night hunting/Flares
« on: April 09, 2010, 11:58:01 AM »
When i use to go rat hunting at night i aways used to make a little camp fire 50 yards from were i was and leave the bait close to the light so i could see my sights.  well has anyone ever used  NVGs,Night Vision Sights or Flares( ground pyrotechnics, projectile pyrotechnics or parachute-suspended)  were lawful for night hunting.

At night i thought about war moives were that shot off a flare to provide maximum illumination over a large area. like the Green or white ones. How well would that work?
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
Re: night hunting/Flares
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 12:55:52 PM »
Some times you scare me.
If you pop a flare off the animals will hear it hiss and sputter not to mention the bright light and will take off running long efore any light gets to them.
Your best bet is a red lens flash light or high intensity light mounted to the gun.  Aim gun hit bright light to align sights and shoot.  It is not going to stand still long.
Also how are you going to use two hands to pop the flare and then shoot?  Not to mention these things are heavy and expensive.
And most of the ones you refer to in the movies are fired by some form of artillary.  There are some hand held ones used as signal flares for distress in boats but shooting off a red flare will signal everyone around you there is a problem and if you are out hunting they will send search parties and rescue people.  Worked in a boat store and people would bring back the out of date flares and one of my cashiers that was in High school took a few of the hand held parashoot flares out camping with him and shot them off as a short fireworks display.  Had 1/2 of the Va state police looking for him for a few hours in the Pungo Swamp.  They were really unhappy when they found him.  I think he is still paying the fine.
Now you have the problem of this hot flare comming down and landing in the vegitation and you can add arson to any faulty distress charges.
I think this is one of the ideas like a Flame thrower for home defense and best left to the X Box.

Offline dukkillr

• The Daily Limit
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 12:57:41 PM »
Some times you scare me.
Then you are taking him far too seriously.

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 08:17:31 AM »
Some times you scare me.
If you pop a flare off the animals will hear it hiss and sputter not to mention the bright light and will take off running long efore any light gets to them.
Your best bet is a red lens flash light or high intensity light mounted to the gun.  Aim gun hit bright light to align sights and shoot.  It is not going to stand still long.
Also how are you going to use two hands to pop the flare and then shoot?  Not to mention these things are heavy and expensive.
And most of the ones you refer to in the movies are fired by some form of artillary.  There are some hand held ones used as signal flares for distress in boats but shooting off a red flare will signal everyone around you there is a problem and if you are out hunting they will send search parties and rescue people.  Worked in a boat store and people would bring back the out of date flares and one of my cashiers that was in High school took a few of the hand held parashoot flares out camping with him and shot them off as a short fireworks display.  Had 1/2 of the Va state police looking for him for a few hours in the Pungo Swamp.  They were really unhappy when they found him.  I think he is still paying the fine.
Now you have the problem of this hot flare comming down and landing in the vegitation and you can add arson to any faulty distress charges.
I think this is one of the ideas like a Flame thrower for home defense and best left to the X Box.

i see, i have never seen one fire from anything besides 155 mm howitzer or something along those line. www.lasergenetics.com has the ND3 Laser Designator  for  359$ and with that you can see out to 300yards with it. Outdoor life has a story about it. If it was now i would buy it for my night hunting.

My little camp fire used to work ok, i would leave the bait near the light of the fire and see what came to get it. Sometimes rats would make a run for it other times that stayed away.
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 08:35:51 AM »
When rat hunting, I like to use very high magnification and pretend they are lions and tigers.  Ever field dressed one?

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 02:48:50 AM »
not to be telling you what to say or do as this is america id like to address one thing. I know alot of your post you are just trying to be comical and entertain but you need to keep in mind that alot of antis are cruising these gun forums and key in on the more radical posts and use them against us pro gun guys. They can twist things around and make you look like a nut case. What is taken as comical here my be interpited by someone else as comming from a nut case. Be careful what you post. It effects all of us in the long run. 
When i use to go rat hunting at night i aways used to make a little camp fire 50 yards from were i was and leave the bait close to the light so i could see my sights.  well has anyone ever used  NVGs,Night Vision Sights or Flares( ground pyrotechnics, projectile pyrotechnics or parachute-suspended)  were lawful for night hunting.

At night i thought about war moives were that shot off a flare to provide maximum illumination over a large area. like the Green or white ones. How well would that work?

blue lives matter

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 09:36:48 AM »
When rat hunting, I like to use very high magnification and pretend they are lions and tigers.  Ever field dressed one?
I read in one of the Capstick Books an Article " Back Yard Safari"
And yes.  Sometimes vermin and other small game become mental big game hunts.

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 09:54:16 AM »
Jdog I think you should try baiting in the anti's with micro brews, weed and tofu. Then pop a flare over then and hunt. Would make for interesting news.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 11:27:36 AM »
for me rat hunting(i had pet rats up to 11/09) was like Skeet shooting. I would be there waiting and something small and fast would run at the bait.  Most times they lived and i got nothing.

as for anti's there everwhere around me and there from both side of the partys.  Your always a nut no matter what you say or do. People aways take things how they want.  Last St.patty day they were playing irish songs at the city park and they played the song Go on home british soldiers,come out ya black an tans , and other song like that.  No one said a thing and one the cop that was there was sing the songs too. So, really anything can look what someone want it to look.  Just look how things are done on the news.

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 12:06:15 PM »
if you really wanted to see some radical posts  and antis ammo go to zombiehunters.org which i am a member of.

"Zombie Squad is an elite zombie suppression task force ready to defend your neighborhood from the shambling hordes of the walking dead. We provide trained, motivated, skilled zombie extermination professionals and zombie survival consultants. Our people and our training are the best in the industry" that what it saids. The FBI, ATF and other are on there becuase some of the members were part of a Christian militia groups and Hutaree group. The zombiehunters was called a militia group.

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 12:07:11 PM »
  Last St.patty day they were playing irish songs at the city park and they played the song Go on home british soldiers,come out ya black an tans , and other song like that. .
Black and Tans were the Uniform of the Irish.   It has nothing to do with skin color.

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 12:39:57 PM »
The Black and Tans (Irish: Dúchrónaigh) was one of two newly recruited bodies, composed largely of World War I veterans, employed by the Royal Irish Constabulary from 1920 to 1921 to suppress revolution in Ireland. Although it was established to target the Irish Republican Army, it became notorious through its numerous attacks on the Irish civilian population.

It's a song of war.  Those songs were IRA songs which the IRA is know in some places as a terrorist organization. Singing songs about Terrorism , which many are about killing cops is something some might have a problem.