Author Topic: Gun protection in rainy weather  (Read 747 times)

Offline lilabner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Gun protection in rainy weather
« on: November 17, 2003, 04:54:48 AM »
I have a fine old Springfield sporter with a nicely figured walnut stock. Where I live, it rains a lot during hunting season. The best solution would probably be a stainless rifle with synthetic stock, but if possible I would prefer weatherizing the Springfield so daylong rain won't make a mess of it. What could I do to protect it (am willing to refinish the stock, which now has Tru Oil finish)

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Gun protection
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2003, 09:49:11 AM »
lilabner:  use an automotive paste wax to protect the steel on that rifle of yours.  If the stock is sealed on the outside so moisture doesn't get in from that end, look at the inside of the stock (action well and barrel channel) to see if they are sealed and if not, use a tongue oil to seal them and you should be fine.  BTW, make certain you wax all the metal, including those parts covered by the stock.  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2003, 03:16:25 PM »
The only thing I can add to Mikey's post is seal the entire inside of the stock with the action out. (barrel channel, mag well, etc.) The 'smith that bedded my stock coated the barrel channel with accuraglass along the entire channel. He painted it on with a small brush. A few coats of paste wax for wood on the outside of the stock helps. Dave
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2004, 06:40:34 PM »
I always have to do it the hard way.
Have a few nice pieces, some with american walnut.
What I like to do is to hand rub linseed oil in to the stock & forearm one drop at a time. (six drops for the entire stock) rubbed in till I cant feel it any more.
After this is done I buff the whole stock with a soft clean cloth.
The Hard part is I will do this indefinatly after each cleaning. Start to get a good glass type finish after six months.
Have been doing this to one rifle in particular for 23 yrs. Looks great, repels water, and a small scratch can usually be buffed out. I do pay attention to the barrel channel as said already.