Author Topic: Want to buy linotype or harder metal  (Read 1236 times)

Offline Questor

• Trade Count: (0)
Want to buy linotype or harder metal
« on: November 17, 2003, 07:52:27 AM »
I want to buy 5,000 pounds of Linotype or harder bullet metal.  Is it still available? How do I get it?
Safety first

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2003, 09:05:56 AM »
WOW!  :eek:  Rudy. Ya think that will last ya the rest of this year?  :-D

There are several sellers of Linotype metal. They advertise in most of the shooting related magazines like Rifle and Hand Loader Magazine. I don't have one handy right now but if you don't come up with it soon just drop me an e-mail and I'll look up 2-3 of them for you. I used to recommend The Antimony Man but no longer do. Had some real sour dealings with him and just no longer recommend him. Personally I think he has gotten too old and should retire. Just my opinion.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline richp41

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2003, 09:54:29 AM »
See if you have a Federated Metals plant anywhere around you. They are a smelting company that specializes in lead alloys. More year ago than I care to mention I bought linotype from them. They had a plant in the Chicago area at that time but I think it moved. You might also check with some of the cast bullet makers and ask them who their suppliers are. Some of those folks are pretty nice and will help you when they realize you aren't a competitor..

Offline The Cast Bullet Kid

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2003, 04:30:36 PM »
Why not heat treat wheel weight?
I get it hard as lino.
Cheers

Jeff

Offline Leftoverdj

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2003, 02:47:09 AM »
Questor, there are still comercial suppliers in those quantities. I kept running into them when I was running internet searches for someone to sell me a couple of hundred pounds. They don't sell in my kinda quantities so they were just a nuisance to me. At 5000 pounds, they would be glad to sell to you.

Just run a Google search on linotype suppliers in your state and maybe a couple of adjoining states and be prepared to have to go pick it up.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline Turk

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2003, 06:25:33 AM »
For the quanities you're wanting you should try a foundry.  Here's a company that processess lead and lead alloy.  send them an e-mail as to what you want.  www.maycoindustries.com/

Turk
In God I trust all others bring data.
If you know you're going to a gunfight take a rifle.
Life Member 1/50th Infantry Association (Vietnam)
Member of the 173rd Airborne Association
Life member NRA & ORPA

Offline bfoster

• http://www.cardingtonmachine.com
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2003, 04:48:45 PM »
Here's another link: Victory White Metal.

Bob

Offline Louis Farrugia

• http://www.dolphinforge.com
BULLET CASTING MIX
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2004, 06:42:12 AM »
HI GRAYBEARD

CAN YOU HELP ME WHIT THE PERCENTAGE OF LEAD AND LINOTYPE FOR AUTO PISTOLS AND REVOLVERS. I JUST BOUGHT A MAGMA CASTER SO I WONT TO mix BIG LOT . BY THE WAY I SWAGE TOO ,SO FAR WHIT MY 9mm using A BASE DISC AS GASCHECK NO LEADING UP TO 1000 FPS.

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK .

BEST REGARDS

LOUIS

Quote from: Graybeard
WOW!  :eek:  Rudy. Ya think that will last ya the rest of this year?  :-D

There are several sellers of Linotype metal. They advertise in most of the shooting related magazines like Rifle and Hand Loader Magazine. I don't have one handy right now but if you don't come up with it soon just drop me an e-mail and I'll look up 2-3 of them for you. I used to recommend The Antimony Man but no longer do. Had some real sour dealings with him and just no longer recommend him. Personally I think he has gotten too old and should retire. Just my opinion.

GB