Author Topic: SP 101 2" or 3"  (Read 602 times)

Offline jackruff

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
SP 101 2" or 3"
« on: April 11, 2010, 05:57:17 AM »
I have decided to purchase a Ruger SP 101 stainless 357 magnum, but am not sure if I want the short barrel or the longer one.  Use will primarily be in the woods - concealed or not - while also carrying a rifle (usually a Marlin).  I often take a GP 100 in the woods by itself, but it's too big and heavy to be secondary to a rifle.  What are the pros and cons of each of these barrels?

Offline the jigger

• Contributor
Re: SP 101 2" or 3"
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 06:27:16 AM »
If this is a "woods"piece rather than a "carry" piece I would go longer. I had a GP with a 4" barrel that was a great shooter. In fact out of the 4 Ruger revolvers I have owned, I have never had a bad one. My first was a Blackhawk in 44mag. It was "SUPER".
Back to your question, longer is better.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!
IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!!

Offline jackruff

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 08:26:08 AM »
Thanks, jigger.  That's why I chose the 6" GP 100 instead of the 4" even though I thought the 4" felt better in the store.  I am leaning toward the 3".  One of the uses for the SP will be to shoot shot shells.  They might work better out of the 2" barrel.  I hope to get still more opinions on this topic.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 10:09:29 AM »
The SP-101 is to heavy for me to carry in a pocket , I carry a J frame . I carry a 3 inch SP-101 hunting and fishing some on my belt . Had a shorter one but the 3 inch shot better or maybe i shot it better . So if you don't plan on pocket carry then go with the 3 inch gun IMHO.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Bubber

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 02:12:31 PM »
I carry a 3" SP. The only downside I have been able to find is good conceled holsters that fit it are harder to find. That extra inch of barrel makes it worth it to me though just in balance.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 02:04:17 AM »
El Paso saddlery makes good ones and some for  3 inck j frames seem to work
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 04:43:29 AM »
An SP101 is a belt carry gun either way to me so I'd go with the 3" barrel. Another thing to consider is that extra inch in barrel length makes a huge difference in velocity in .357 Magnum.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline jager

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 05:12:00 AM »
I carry the SP101 in the 2" and find it comfortable and "comforting" to carry. There are several holsters for it and it packs well in a "fanny pack". It is a "true" .357 frame, but is not really fun to shoot "full power" loads for any duration (muzzle blast and recoil). I considered getting the 3", and "frankly" it looks more "balanced" and has a longer "sight radius", but I couldn't find one at the time I purchased. I believe I carry the "smaller" version more often just because of its shorter length (like most small differences, it may be all in my mind ::)). Its interesting that less than an 1" difference in barrel length can change a pistols "character" so much and our opinion of their capabilities :)!

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 06:56:11 PM »
I have the 2.25 model and like it but I've shot a 3 inch and really liked it too. For woods carry I'd go for the 3" or, my personal favorite is a 4 inch security 6.  Never handled a GP100.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA