Author Topic: Do you have a spending limit that you are willing to pay for a scope?  (Read 2109 times)

Offline shot1

• Trade Count: (0)
When it comes to scopes you really get what you pay for. I have been fooling with scopes for over 40 years and I have learned this truth. The most costly scope that I have ever bought is a Zeiss Diavari 3-12X56. I ordered a Zeiss Conquest 3-12X56 from a place on line when they first came out a few years ago for $800. When the scope came it was a Diavari. They took my credit card for $800 and I never complained. If they wanted to send me a $1500.00 scope for $800 I took it. The best scope for the money that I have bought in a long time is the Meopta Meostar 3-12X56 that I got for $699 last year. In a side by side comparison from early morning to past dark I can see no difference in glass quality between it and my Zeiss Diavari. Both scopes will track perfectly. I have two old Leupold VXII 3-9X50 that I had Premier Reticle put a heavy #4 reticle in and put target turrets with clicks in them. They track perfectly and are pretty good glass. The cheapest very good quality scope that I have is an OLD Tasco Euro-Class 30mm tube 3-12X56or58 I really think this scope was made for Tasco by somebody like Kalies (SP?) because it looks just like one and the glass is just as good. These scopes are on my serious hunting rifles. For pistol scopes I love the Weaver 2.5-8X28 I have three of them and they are great. I have a couple Bushnell 3200 scopes and I think for the money they are hard to beat. They are every bit as good as my Leupold VXII scopes and maybe a little bit better.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
isnt so differnt where i hunt. We have antler restictions and our shots dont come much past 200 yards either and most are around 50. It may cost me a few deer but ive allways been one that glasses with binoculars not a scope and the scope doesnt usually come up unless i allready know its a shootable buck. Ive been glassed myself a couple times by idiots using there rifle scope to see what was moving in the brush. Not a very smart way to hunt and it can get dammed dangerous if you do it around me!
Lloyd, you'll get no agrument from me that they are pricey  :'( Only the 6x42 was brought new and I got that trade as a favor from a friend. Now I wonder how much the import duties and importers put up the prices. For those willing to go through the hassle of getting export permits it's still cheaper to buy a Leupold from the US .................................. that is IF ........................... If you can find someone willing to jump through the hoops  ::).

Part of the optics thing is the different way in which the hunting is conducted in America and Europe. It's vastly different between Mainland Europe and the UK for instance and between the UK and America is also very different. Unless you get to a few places in the UK hunting deer is a short range proposition with 200 yards being a long shot. Mostly it's at 40-130 yards. My last one was at 125 yards a few weeks ago and if I can wangle the finance I will going again in June. In the UK were have deer hunting all year round with Six huntable species in the wild now this has it's drawbacks as you have to be able to clearly and positivley identify the deer not only by species but sex as Roe Bucks are in season right now but Roe Does are not. Clarity in optics becomes vital then such as those American hunters now saddled with Antler restriction liek the number of points. I have friends in Missouri who come under this ruling and they have found that to be safe and sure they have had to upgrade their scopes. Steve used to use a couple of Redfields but has now replaced them he had a Weaver Grandslam on one rifle for a while until a slight mishap saw him, his rifle and his stand come down  :o the rifle of course landed on the scope and it wa rather badly damaged Steve got away with a couple of cracked ribs and a lot of bruising. The heavy rain that year had softened the ground his stand was on and it slipped out from under him and he came down the 15 foot.
blue lives matter

Offline Brithunter

Lloyd, I lost what would have been my first 6 point roe Buck three years ago beacuse I was using my Binos to gove him the once over. I should have instead just listened to my stalker and shot the Buck as he had already glessed it with his binos. But no I wanted a look see  ::). I finally shot a 6 point Roe Buck last month on the 15th at 07:30Oh and nothing to do with optics but whilst eating a nice bit of backstrap I bit down on soemthing hard. On close inspection it turned out to be a .22 Air Rifle Pellet that was well imbedded in the poor little blighters back.

No the problem with not so clear scopes is when you on the Roe Does and you shooting one or more from a combined sex group. In their winter coats it's fairly easy to get a young button buck and should you shoot one your in trouble with the law.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
Very interesting thread...I never thought that it would go on as long as it has.

Most of the discussion so far has been about optical quality.  Do any of you consider, or have experience with, the repeatibility of the scopes internal workings?

The reason I ask is because I read a magizine article years ago (Precision Shooting I think) about a custom rifle maker who guaranteed his rifles accuracy.  The only stipulation was that the groups be shot with a high end Leupold scope, VariX III if I remember (that might have been top of the line back then?).  His reason was that he thought that other cheaper scopes weren't as stable internally and therefore could affect the group size.  Ever since then I've opted for decent quality scopes on any rifle I've really cared about accuracy wise.

Jim 

Years ago this was true.  It no longer is.  In fact I believe the Leupolds have taken a back seat.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline diggler1833

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
I don't think that Leupolds are bad optics at all.  I do think though that at one time many years ago they were at the pinnacle of optical quality, and have now been surpassed by many manufacturers.

I've owned two Leupold MK 4s, which I would argue are better than any of their Vari-X lines.  Optically they had nice glass (although glass clarity is VERY subjective).  I would though, rate both of my Sightron SIIIs as having slightly better glass, and my US Optics has definitely having an edge in glass, although they aren't night and day apart.

Functionally, the Leupolds never gave me any issues.  The Adjustments were on and repeatable, and I loved the TMR reticle that the scopes had (1/2 mil marks).  I did not like that Leupold used a milradian based reticle though, while still keeping MOA adjustments (might have even been IPHY, but I can't remember).  I finally gave up the Leupys in order to get a scope that gave me the same adjustments as the reticle read (i.e. mil/mil, MOA/MOA).  I still own one scope with a mil reticle and MOA adjustments, it is a Sightron SIII 6-24.

My first entry into the "tacticool" scope market was a Burris XTR 3-12x50mm with mildot.  For what it ran me, it was a good optic for the duration that I owned it.  Never had any problems.

I've heard that Bushnell is coming out with a 3200 10x with mildot and mil adjustments for around $250.  For a fixed power scope it might be worth me looking into.

Offline Drilling Man

I'd much rather have half as many rifles with very good scopes, than twice as many with less quality scopes.

My upper limit that i will pay, is around $400 bucks, but i just look for better USED scopes, and buy them.  That way i'm getting better scopes, for a lesser price.

I read that Zeiss just lowered their 3x9x40 to $399.99 and it's an EXCELENT scope...  For my older eyes, it's better than any Leupold i've looked through so far, and that's what i have on my "go to" rifle...

DM

Offline Bighorn75

My spending limit is around $500.00 but I've not paid that yet.  I really balk at going lower than $300.00 but there are some very good optics under that price.  My oldest scope is a Leupold Vari-X II that is about 40 years old.  Its on a Model 760 in 6mm Remington.  Never a problem with that one.  Doubt I'd buy one of the new Leupolds because there are better choices today for the money.  My next scope will be a Bushnell Elite 4200 in 2.5-10 x 40.  Cabela's has these for 430.00.  I prefer to buy my optics from Cabela's because their return policy is very generous.

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
I've got about a 100 rounds of Ruger #1 loads through a 22" handi 45/70 with a new Redfield 3 9 40.  The scope is fine so far, but  I trashed a scope mount.  I have two more of these new scopes on 30-06s.  Keeping track of the round count and type of round.  Will hopefully have a bit of durability test on these scope completed by the end of the year. 

Side note, IMO the sweet spot in the eye relief for the 3 9 40 New Redfield is much bigger than the 4 12 40. 

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline anweis

• A Real Regular
  I'd much rather have half as many rifles with very good scopes, than twice as many with less quality scopes.

My upper limit that i will pay, is around $400 bucks, but i just look for better USED scopes, and buy them.  That way i'm getting better scopes, for a lesser price.

I read that Zeiss just lowered their 3x9x40 to $399.99 and it's an EXCELENT scope...  For my older eyes, it's better than any Leupold i've looked through so far, and that's what i have on my "go to" rifle...

DM

Yes, yes, yes. To everything you wrote.
The Conquest 3-9x40 is excellent. The Conquest 2.5-8x32 is also excellent, but i could not find one anymore.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Generally I'd pay as much for a scope as I would for a rifle.  The quality of neither is more important to me.

When I pull a rifle for a day's hunt, I always make my selection according to the scope and not the rifle.  If I plan to hunt in the woods, a shorter rifle and appropriate scope are picked, vs a rifle-scope combo for a field stand.  As my years increase and my stamina declines, I favor lighter selections.

Offline DalesCarpentry

• I would rather be shooting!!
I think the most I have ever paid for a scope was about $229.99. I am about to spend more than I ever have for a Vortex Viper 6.5x20x44 scope this week. ;) ;D This is the scope I am buying.
http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/vortex.pl?page=vortexviper6-20x44
I have done a lot of reading up on them and read many reviews on them and am convinced it will be money well spent. They have a warenty that is out of this world. If I ever have a problem with this scope weather I broke or it failed on it's own they will fix it or replace it free of charge. You could run it over with your truck and they will replace it. :o ;D Now that is a warenty. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline joshua 35 whelen

I bought a sako 75 stainless with a hardwood stock topped with a Zeiss Diavari C 5-15x42 for 1,200 total off gunbroker.  I guess it was a buy a Zeiss get a sako 75 for free day?  I recently purchased a Swarovski AV rail 3-10x42 for 799.99 from Natchezs shooter supply, it was on sale and sold out the next day.  Should have bought two because it is an awesome scope and set up.  Mounted it on a Custom, tricked out T/C with a 24 inch fox ridge in 460 smith.  They take mounts that cost 99.00 bucks but it is neat and leads into the next purchase which was the mounts for 80.00 bucks in E+ used condition and a Swarovski Z6i 2-12x50 rail for 2115.95 all from Adorama camera.  The scope normally sold for 2,889 but it was the last one and for some reason didn't catch on well in the states and now the rail (SR) series has been discontinued.  This scope is for a Mcwhorter .270 win which in itself is a small fortune.  Bottom line is I sold a lot of lower grade scopes and firearms I didn't use to get these two that are flat out dreams.  My 460 S&W will be used as a primitive weapon in Mississippi and a back up for the Mcwhorter.  Only two rifles that I own and will really use.  I still have the Zeiss and it with the Swarovski's are the best I have seen.  I have owned Leupold Vari III's and they are nice but I didn't see much of a difference between them and the Vari II's.  I had a bushnell firefly that was a neat concept and a good scope also.  So the lowest I have spent is free if you count me buying the sako and getting the Zeiss for free with the latest Z6i rail being the most.  I already hear that I paid too much and the win model 94 with a tasco is as good as my setups so please save yourself the trouble if you are going to write something foul about them.  I don't make millions, I am a Chief in the US Navy and sold/saved to get the stuff I would want to keep instead of buying lots of guns I wouldn't shoot or use.

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
New or used Leupold's Vari-X II, VX-II or VX-III, I have never paid more than $250 new and a lot less used.

Leupold have stellar quality, customer service, and of course untouchable warranty.

yooper77

Offline DalesCarpentry

New or used Leupold's Vari-X II, VX-II or VX-III, I have never paid more than $250 new and a lot less used.

Leupold have stellar quality, customer service, and of course untouchable warranty.

yooper77

How is their warranty if you happen to run over your gun and scope with your truck? Will they replace the scope? I am asking because I don't know Leupold's warranty. Thanks Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

Offline joshua 35 whelen

Why would you run over your gun and scope in your truck?  How would you explain that to anyone and keep a straight face?

Offline DalesCarpentry

Why would you run over your gun and scope in your truck?  How would you explain that to anyone and keep a straight face?
I personaly would probably never do it but crap happens!! :oDale

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
Dale look at my post on the first page of this post.
blue lives matter

Offline Brithunter

Hmmmm I am fairly sure that should something dire like that happen that I am covered by insurance through a membership I have to a shooting countryside organisation here.

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)

yooper77

How is their warranty if you happen to run over your gun and scope with your truck? Will they replace the scope? I am asking because I don't know Leupold's warranty. Thanks Dale

Nope! That would be abuse or improper use of the scope.

If any Leupold Golden Ring® product is found to have defects in materials or workmanship, we will, at our option, repair or replace it. FREE. Even if you are not the original owner. No warranty card is required. No time limit applies.
http://www.leupold.com/lightbox/features/leupold-full-lifetime-guarantee/

yooper77