Author Topic: Dumbest behaviors you have seen at a range  (Read 653 times)

Offline guzzijohn

• Trade Count: (0)
Dumbest behaviors you have seen at a range
« on: April 12, 2010, 07:03:08 AM »
I did not witness this myself but it was in the paper and on the news at the time. At a public range (non-supervised) west of Wichita three gansta types showed up with a full auto Mac 10 and a full auto Uzi. Witnesses said that the three appeared to have no idea what they were doing as they were having difficulties loading and inserting the magazines. The first one of these Rhode Scholars fired the Mac 10 one handed in full auto which caused some of the rounds to go over the backstop and the rest were spraying all over. As you can imagine at that point there were a lot of cell phone fast draws calling 911. The three were arrested...
GuzziJohn

Offline jamaldog87

Re: Dumbest behaviors you have seen at a range
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 12:51:59 PM »
last time i was at the range they asked you what you were shooting and if it's a class 3 you better have your papers.

but the dumbest behaviors i have seen at a indoor range was someone letting loose with a 50BMG rilfe and not letting everyone know they were shoot that off.  The range was only a 20 or 30 yard range and my ear were ringing from that.
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline sachel.45

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 02:27:10 PM »
why is a range asking if your shooting a class 3 dumb? and if you are that you must provide papers? there covering their @$$'s
common sense is slowly becoming uncommon

Offline john keyes

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 02:53:33 PM »
there was a guy at my range all by himself that was a real dummy. he looked down the muzzle of his savage 99 to check the scope alignment before he realized he was staring down the barrel of a loaded gun with a round in the chamber and the safety off.

yep, that guy is a real dummy.

:-[
Though taken from established manufacturers' sources and presumed to be safe please do not use any load that I have posted. Please reference Hogdon, Lyman, Speer and others as a source of data for your own use.

Offline Hodr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
  • Blinded by law
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 03:20:10 PM »
This is not a dumb thing at a range, it is a genuine Darwin Award.  In 1967 I was at Sand Hill, Ft Benning, Georgia.  As cadre/armorer 3rd Army NCO Academy, I was down at the boot camp rifle range with some M14 A1's to test fire on auto.  We were waiting for trainees to head back to camp when a recruit in a concrete fox hole went nuts.  He had an M14 and turned around and shot his spotter and then grabbed a couple of stacks of loaded magazines.  The next rounds went out at anything that moved and then the range tower.  Range master baled out 20' off ground and made it into cover.  Over the next few minutes we all were heads down.  The trainees CO grabbed an M16 and a loaded mag.  Kid on the range was still firing but the Capt. made it to the tower and up without getting hit.  He tried to talk on the range PA but started taking fire from the trainee.  He stood up in the tower and put all 20 rds into the sewer pipe foxhole.  It was probaly one of those moments that he will think about forever.
Captain's court martial was a week later and he was found to have responded correctly.

blindhari

TANSTAAFL

Offline teamnelson

• Trade Count: (30)
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 03:51:05 PM »
... have unfortunately been done by paid range officers at a public facility. I've usually found the ranges I feel safest at are the ones ran by volunteer club or range safety officers.

At officer school in Newport they have an indoor 9mm range, and a group of doctors, lawyers, nurses (staff officers) went through the range. They told the leader to count the number in the stick, so she pointed her firearm first at herself, then at each of the other members of the stick and said aloud, "one, two, three ..." I think she made it to four before the RSO got to her. They actually let her fire a single round later, but she didn't make it to the second before an intervention probably spared the shooter on her right who was looking down her barrel when she turned to say, "look at that!" Yep, she's out there probably in Afghanistan somewhere with a hopefully empty 9mm in probably a geewhiz shoulder holster that points fore and aft.
held fast

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 04:43:51 PM »
Our local range has it's share of idiots, and a few knowledgeable men.  We have taken to acting like we are the range master when someone arrives who doesn't know the ropes.  It's better for someone to take over than someone to get hurt...........I've seen too much to even list here. ???
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 11:40:38 AM »
why is a range asking if your shooting a class 3 dumb? and if you are that you must provide papers? there covering their @$$'s

that the world we live in today. I was just at the range today and a man had a 10'' barrel colt m16 full auto gun and he had to show his paper, than the made him shoot by himself away from everyone else. But you and rent a uzi full auto and shoot with everyone. I fell safer with a guy that own his gun then someone renting a full auto.
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends