Author Topic: 38 S&W  (Read 493 times)

Offline tonygrz

• Trade Count: (1)
38 S&W
« on: April 13, 2010, 07:44:06 AM »
I recently purchased a used S&W I frame revolver with a 2" barrel.  It's the forrunner of the J frame.  I think I've read that the 38 S&W has about the same "stopping power" as the 380.  Is that correct???  Also, I've been looking for some 38 S&W HBWC ammo but can not find any.  Does anyone know where I can purchased some or if that ammo is even made.  If it's not made, I would like to find an RCBS die to load this round.

BTW, I carry a .32 Kel-Tec now but want to carry this 38 S&W because I would feel more comfortable carrying a revolver than an auto and I don't have the money for a new airweight.

Tony
Life is great, don't screw it up with WORK !!!

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: 38 S&W
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 08:06:13 AM »
Given the two I would prefer the 38 Smith and Wesson in defense as it is a 38 caliber or 361 groove diameter, while the 380 is nothing more than a 9mm short. As far as ammo availability I will say there is some but, I would look at getting into reloading.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 08:56:53 AM »
I have a .38 S&W.
most ammo I can find for it are either the 148 grain lead round nose stuff or
the old british 200 grain man stopper load.  This was the british military load of WWII and a short while after.
Not a lot of speed but a huge soft hunk of lead.
I think either are about the same in Horse power and speed.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 11:58:57 AM »
Hey Fellas:  drop on down 10 topics on this forum for a very well detailed discussion on the 38 Smith and Wesson.