Author Topic: No Fancy Bullets or Powders Here! Just a Good Honest Group & an Old Rifle  (Read 3556 times)

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
Guys this is my do everything load, that I have been loading since 1970 or 71. A Remington round nose 150 grainer, at 2400 fps. I shot this as my first group about an hour ago, and it is the first 100 yard group I've fired from the bench since I replaced my long used Lyman 66 Receiver Sight, with the Marbles Tang Sight. My eyes could no longer focus on the front sight with the receiver sight due to age. MY AGE! ;D
The three shot group measures just a tad under 1 7/8 inch, center to center, with the flyer being just above the first two, and the zero is for 175 yards. That way I don't have to fool with hold over out to 200 yards, as there is just a 2 inch variance out to there. Then only 9 inches at 250 yards.
For you guys that don't know, I have been shootin this same rifle since it was bought new in 1958, so a 60 year old fart, shootin a 52 year old Winchester 94. No too bad.
You can double click the photo to enlarge.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Rangr44

• Trade Count: (6)
There's not many deer, that'll argue with that!   ;D   ;D

There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
Geeeze Dan!   :o  My '94 won't do that at 50 yards!  Or maybe I can't do that at 50 yards...  :-[  I can't see the target at 100...  :'(

Mighty fine shootin!  By both of ya!   ;D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Dee

Geeeze Dan!   :o  My '94 won't do that at 50 yards!  Or maybe I can't do that at 50 yards...  :-[  I can't see the target at 100...  :'(

Mighty fine shootin!  By both of ya!   ;D

Well Richard that last shot was a flyer (the high one) or it would have been a lot smaller, but Murphy was at work on me I guess. Either way I'm satisfied.

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
Yea I think any of those would do just fine.
Why mess with a good thing?
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
I would make a Wise butt comment but with shooting like that I think you could hit me from there.  ;D
Good Job Dee.

Offline Dee

I would make a Wise butt comment but with shooting like that I think you could hit me from there.  ;D
Good Job Dee.

Well, I don't shoot at friends Mr. Duck, so never fear. :D

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
Good job, Dee.

Sometimes we forget that we really can do these things without all the aids and accessories of our more 'modern' weaponry - thanks for the reminder!! and did I say good job!!? :) :)
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline dpe.ahoy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
Nice shootin', Dee.  I just picked up a 94 in 7-30 Waters I'm gonna play with first, then see about upgrading the sights.  DP
RIP Oct 27, 2017

Handi's:22Shot, 22LR, 2-22Mag, 22Hornet, 5-223, 2-357Max, 44 mag, 2-45LC, 7-30 Waters, 7mm-08, 280, 25-06, 30-30, 30-30AI, 444Marlin, 45-70, AND 2-38-55s, 158 Topper 22 Hornet/20ga. combo;  Levers-Marlins:Two 357's, 44 mag, 4-30-30s, RC-Glenfields 36G-30A & XLR, 3-35 Rem, M-375, 2-444P's, 444SS, 308 MX, 338Marlin MXLR, 38-55 CB, 45-70 GS, XS7 22-250 and 7mm08;  BLR's:7mm08, 358Win;  Rossi: 3-357mag, 44mag, 2-454 Casull; Winchesters: 7-30 Waters, 45Colt Trapper; Bolt actions, too many;  22's, way too many.  Who says it's an addiction?

Offline streak

• GBO Supporter
Good shooting Dee!
Can one still buy the 150 grain Rem roundnose today??
NRA Life time Member
North American Hunting Club
Second Amendment Foundation
Gun Owners of America
Handgun Hunters International

Offline Dee

Yea, I bought a enough in bulk a few years ago to last me the rest of my life, ever how long that's gonna be. I've been shootin'em for over 45 years, and they'll do anything I need to do. Here a while back I bought my favorite powder for that load, and when I get time I'll load some more but, in the mean time am in no danger of runnin out of rounds.
Day before yesterday I decided to shoot a little, and took a milk jug full of water out for some "field shootin". I lay the jugs on their side and shoot at only the bottom, as that's a good depiction of the size of what I consider a kill zone, (about 6 1/2 inches). I don't use a rest, I either shoot off hand, sitting down, a tree, or sometimes prone. That day I decided on a sitting position. I hit the jug bottom about an inch and three quarter from center at two hundred yards, on the first shot, so I was happy.
I long ago quit reading gun rags.Their just there to sell paper and guns, for personal gain, and although there are few facts scattered thru the pages, it's mostly market propaganda that has very little to do with the real world of hunting.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
Good shooting Dee!
Can one still buy the 150 grain Rem roundnose today??

If this is the one in question, you can.
It sure doesn't look like a RN to me, more like a semi-spitzer. It has lots of exposed lead only the very tip is rounded.The bag is marked for 30-30.
Hopefully I manage to attach a pix to this post :-\
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline streak

• GBO Supporter
Thanks BBF,
I checked on the Cabela`s website and they still sell the 150 gr. softpoint Rem in bulk packages!
NRA Life time Member
Gun Owners of America

Offline Dee

Yea streak, the one BBF has in the pic is the one I have been shootin for years, and is the same one in the group I posted. I haven't cleaned the bore on my rifle in a coon's age, so it might, and then again might not shoot a tighter group, but then again at age 60, I have good days and bad days shootin.

Offline streak

• GBO Supporter
Dee,
I have the 30-30 in three different configurations, Marlin 336, Savage mod 24 30-30-/12ga, and Thompson Contender 14". So will try to come up with a load that hopefully will perform in all three satisfactorily.Also will be using this 150 gr for loading up 2500-2600 fps rounds for .308 win. in the Handi configuration.
NRA Life time Member
Gun Owners of America

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
I've been downloading for the 30-06 ever since I ended up on the East Coast since I don't need a full power load for the Bambi's here. I haven't tried the Rems, so far the Hornady and Sierra 150 gr. RN work well in all of the 06's we got. Even the Rem 742 fully cycles ammo that produces around 2400 fps according to the book. Don't have a Chrony so I don't know what the real MV is. With 18 1/2 inch barrels it might be even less.

Offline Dee

Dee,
I have the 30-30 in three different configurations, Marlin 336, Savage mod 24 30-30-/12ga, and Thompson Contender 14". So will try to come up with a load that hopefully will perform in all three satisfactorily.Also will be using this 150 gr for loading up 2500-2600 fps rounds for .308 win. in the Handi configuration.

The bullet has been a good performer for me for almost 50 years, so it should work for you. I have owned and shot about every deer cartridge there is that is moderately popular including a couple model 70s in 3006. After all these years I am pretty much back where I Started. I kept going back to my Model 94, and several years ago sold about all of my rifles except a couple of 22s, and a 223. I downsized WAY DOWN on inventory, and have found that I don't conflict with myself on what I carry, like I did when I had more guns that I ever needed. When I would grab one and start out the door, my WHAT IF warning meter would go off. Not now. I know my rifle better than ever, and my abilities with it.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
The downsizing started today with two ads in one of the Barter Rags here. I can't do more then two at a time,  my left hand is slapping my right hand away from the keyboard. :D

Offline Dee

BBF, I am much happier since I went almost totally back to the basics. I know what I have, and what it, and I can do, and it put the fun back in hunting and shooting. I did the same thing with my fishing, by going back to what I loved in the first place, which was a canoe, and the same with camping. Sold the motor home and went back to tent.
Even camping had become a mental competition with "something a little better" than what I had.
I now load 3030, 223, and 38/357, and that's it. I don't worry about boat motors, boat registrations, trailer registrations, or insurance for both, or the motor home. Life is much more simple.

Offline zoner

• Trade Count: (53)
darn good shootin with iron sights, Dee. I was working on shootin with a peep last year. Kind of gave up on it....but after reading your post i'm going back to it. My eyesight ain't as good as it once was,but the reason i wasn't shooting as well as i wanted is I'm just too lazy to put the effort into focusing on and indexing that front sight and matching it up with a good trigger squeeze,period. But you have inspired me, i'll go back to work on it......Mike

Offline Dee

Well zoner, I have shot a receiver sight on this ole rifle for for about 40 years, but my eye sight ain't what it once was, and I got the idea of a tang sight closer to my eye, from someone on this sight, but I don't remember who. I'm about back to where I was 40 years ago with that new sight. Closer is better for old eyes when it comes to apertures.

Offline Dee

It's rained here for two days and I got the itch to shoot. I took a milk jug momma saved and filled it with water and off I went. I could only shoot at 130 yards because of the mud but, did my usual with is lay the jug on it's side, and shoot at either the bottom or the top as it makes for a smaller target which is a 6" square. This time I laid it with the lid side facing me, and hit the red cap itself, first shot at 130 yards and the jug went to pieces from, the dead center hit. That tang sight put new life in me and that old Winchester.

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

>:( Dee, I can't down size, too many things to try, but I am going to load a bunch of 150's for my model 94 .30-30...I like my Marlin a bit better due to being able to scope it, and at 60 plus that helps my shooting...in your data, you mentioned 150 rem. bullets, but no powder...since I just want a plinking load, what powder do you use...don't need the grains as it must be warm at 2400fps..but need a starting powder...have an old old Lyman that suggests IMR 3031...what is your favorite...??????

Offline Dee

I have used 3031 over the years but, mostly for 170 grain bullets, and it doesn't work that smoothly in a powder drop. For 150s I use 748. 38 grains of 748 is not a max load for the 150 grainers, and will get you 2400fps and good accuracy.
However, I also prefer 748 for the 170 grainers too, as you can get over 2100fps without loading max powder charges.
For a plinkin load or small game I used to load a 170 grain CAST with Unique, but now a days I just use my Model 92 Winchester and load it with real light 38 special casts.

;D Thanks, I don't think I have any 748, did at one time but shot it away..anyway, I will look over what I have...thanks...

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
...150's for my model 94 .30-30...you mentioned 150 rem. bullets, but no powder...what powder do you use...at 2400fps...a starting powder...what is your favorite...??????

I tell ya boys, great minds think alike.   :D  I been wantin to ask Dan this very thing for I don't know how long!   :o  Just never got around to it.  Why it was only yesterday I was thinkin about PM'ing him with this exact question!   :o

I got to admit that I've really only played with BLC-2 in my 94 and I haven't been real impressed with it so far.   :(  Marginal accuracy at 2200 with a load half a grain shy of max.   :(

Don't have any 748 though...  :-\  Matter of fact, I don't have any Winchester Powders.    :-\  Got nuthin against them, it's just that haven't tried all the Reloader, IMR or H's yet...  :-[

Is there anything that's the same as 748 but wearing an IMR, Rel or H label out there?  If so I've probably got some of it.   :)  But I don't got none of them hard to pronounce fer-rin powders!   ::)  Although I always had a soft spot for Norma MRP, when I could get it...  :-\  But then I come to find out it was the same as a good ol' American powder so I stopped looking...  :-\

Which got nuthin to do with Dan's 30-30 load but just shows ta go ya there might be somethin that is 748 that ain't marked 748, but if I don't have any of whatever that may be I might just as well buy some 748!   ???  Wait, is that right?   :-\  Dan?   ???

Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
It would have been easier if you said what powders you have and what sort of V's you want. ;)

For the150 gr stuff RL-7 gives you good V's  Start at 25 gr and stop at 28 gr
                              AA2230                                     30.0                   31.7   not much room to play on that one !!
                              Varget                                        31.0                  34.5
                              H-4895                                       30.5                  34.0

If you got any old Norma around the No 200 is good for 20.0 gr all the way to 26.2
                                                            201                  30.8                        35.5

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
................I don't worry about boat motors, boat registrations, trailer registrations, or insurance for both, or the motor home. Life is much more simple.

Mine just got more complicated with the Missus getting an RV(used thank God) and I couldn't resist a new Jon boat with trailer all for "down South"

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
Richard - I believe H335 is very close to W748 - check that out but there is lots of load data for it and i've used it with 170gr Hornady and 182gr cast with good luck - nothing magic about the loads and never did Chrony any - just got my first 30-30 and have been having too much fun with it (and looking for a job) to Chrony anything.
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

;) Yesterday, I looked over my powder...no 748, but re 7, then I checked the Alliant loading booklet...Re 15 seemed to provide the vel. Dee gets with 748....RE 7was slower....since I have a couple pounds of 7 I will probably load that....haven't loaded .30-30's for several years maybe even 5 or 6..have some 130's loaded for the Marlin...when I hunt I usually use 150 WW Silver tips or Hollow Points...