Author Topic: musket caps for a cabelas .50 cal rifle  (Read 1323 times)

Offline tyra

• Trade Count: (4)
musket caps for a cabelas .50 cal rifle
« on: April 13, 2010, 05:26:15 PM »
I'm just getting into blackpowder. I have a cabelas .50 cal with the double triggers. I read about changing out the #11 nipple for a musket nipple. I did change to a musket nipple. My question is what # cap should I be looking for? I don't seem to find any musket caps to fit.

Offline uncas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • The Right To Keep And Bare Arms
Re: musket caps for a cabelas .50 cal rifle
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 06:13:45 PM »
I'm not sayn' I'm a pro, but what kind of rifle do you have? Where I come from, Black powder is a gun thats either a flintlock or a cap and ball, that requires black powder. A muzzle loader is an inline, or other, that can use a black powder substitute, like Triple 7, with a 209 shotgun primer.  Older guns, and even some newer guns, use the small copper cap, small and hard to put on (cap), thats why most switched to 209 primers, plus 209 burns hotter, and more reliable.
Land of the Free...Because of the Armed...  I Carry And Protect!!

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 06:49:38 PM »
As far as I know there are no different sizes of musket caps. A musket cap is a musket cap.You should be able to buy them where you buy your other ML stuff. I changed out my #11 nipple for a musket nipple too, hoping for more reliable ignition, but I moved back to Wyoming shortly thereafter and haven't shot the gun since.

Musket caps are much bigger than #11, and have wings on them, I suppose to make them easier for soldiers to handle.

Offline tyra

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 07:19:29 AM »
Thanks for the info. the rifle is not an inline. i've been into the contenders and the prohunter rifle. i have'nt bought a t/c blackpowder yet; i lean toward traditional and thought i would get my feet wet with this muzzleloader. terry

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 07:30:43 AM »
There are at least two types of musket caps, flanged and flangeless, RWS makes both, flangeless look like big #11 caps, and are easy to waterproof on the nipple with a short length of surgical tubing.  ;)

Tim

http://www.smoke-thunder.com/tricks/hangfire.html
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain