Author Topic: putting down others' styles of hunting  (Read 4106 times)

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: putting down others' styles of hunting
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2010, 10:23:02 AM »
I'm with you L O on this one . I have hunted both deer and turkey with a 30 cal. carbine and know it will work at 50 and under yards . Like you offer with the hog it takes a good shot and the target has to be positioned right but it works . Why use it - light and most shots were 30 or less yards . Closest shot 6-4 inches from muzzle longest maybe 40 yards . Is it a good choice for field hunting NOPE ! Running deer ? Nope ! As for 223's try a 22 cheeta ( 308 necked down to 22 going over 4000 fps ) . Alot of old timers took deer with 25-20's .
 It has nothing to do with legal cal. it has to do with shooters ablity to make the shot at a distance the bullet will do its job.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline snapcrackpop

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
  • Baloo - blue weim
« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2010, 11:57:26 AM »
The closest I get to crossing this line is when it comes to crossbows. 

I don't mind people using crossbows during gun season or in the archery season if you have a disability, but I don't think it's fair to call a crossbow a "bow" for archery season.  If it's legal in your state, fine, but I would prefer that they repeal that one. 
Hate to start a debate, but I think it's a good discussion to have... problem is I don't think anybody's going to change their mind at the end of the day anyways.
Got:
Handi VP 22/410, 410, 20, 17M2, .223, 357MAX, 50cal ML SS w/MU plug

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2010, 12:05:15 PM »
I don't think a compound bow is good either if you want a trad. hunt. Or an inline .
Long bows and side locks only !  ;D
To be honest I could care less how you harvest a deer . Dead is dead , just be quick about it .

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2010, 12:09:35 PM »
Closest shot 6-4 inches from muzzle...

Holy Cow!  That's CLOSE!  Too close.  What's the "Rest of the Story" behind that?

I will probably never bend to bow hunting (don't get me wrong - I like it).  I started hunting too late for "this old dog" to transition or change.  To do it right, it takes strength, practice, patience, and it's expensive - like guns!  

I like to "reach out and touch" the target or game animal - maybe justify why I don't sit too still or bath in the latest scent eliminating technology.  But I would someday like the opportunity to get into the woods with a cross bow.  I could do that.  It's about as close as I am going to get to "bow hunting".  

Being a meat hunter, I am not going to abandon modern gun for "bringing home the bacon."  I would like the opportunity, as I get older, to take a deer with a cross bow.  I could do that.  Maybe provide a Senior Citizen opportunity.

Offline snapcrackpop

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Baloo - blue weim
« Reply #64 on: June 15, 2010, 03:47:05 AM »
And that would be fine with me under the "disability permit".  If you can't draw a 40 or 50 pound bow due to age, weakness, loss of limb, whatever, fine.

MN is trying to pass an "over 50" crossbow exemption.  Sorry, but lots of 50+ year olds can comfortably draw 50 pounds.  If they would go for "65" wouldn't be as opposed to it.

I'm not against someone using a crossbow, just not during "bow season".  The skill it takes to use a "bow" and the act of drawing when close to a deer is difficult....don't dilute the bow season.
Got:

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #65 on: June 15, 2010, 04:19:45 AM »
I agree. No cross bows, and no compound bows. If your not strong enough to pull a 40 or 50# bow back then you shouldn't be bow hunting. A cross bow is a MECHANICAL DEVICE used to launch an arrow (or bolt) but, is not an actual bow. It requires little strength, and far less skill than a tradional, AND ACTUAL BOW. A compound bow is a MECHANICAL DEVICE and like the cross bow, even less a bow than the cross bow. It relies on pulleys and cables to give the hunter an unfair advantage over those traditional bow hunters where skill, and strength is required, instead of MECHAINCAL DEVICES such as cables and pulleys and string releases, and peep sights, and fiber optic sights that have nothing to do with a bow and arrow, and require less skill, and strength, in many cases even less than than the cross bow.
Both should be outlawed except during centerfire rifle season as these two DEVICES are more MECHANICAL than many centerfire rifles. They should not even be allowed during black powder season.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #66 on: June 15, 2010, 05:51:38 AM »
Land owner , the rest of the story - Ok when we could hunt in full camo in Va. I had stopped on a dike of sorts . Water on both sides with briers etc . I was sitting back to a tree , in full camo and enough doe in heat on my boots to cover any other smell for a mile and the carbine resting on my knee turkey hunting style. The dogs are running and comming my way . The guy who ownes the land is bird hunting with a setter that has a bell on her collar. The guy can't get to me with out getting real wet but the dog comes by to check me out . I sit real still. He calles and calles . The dog goes with him after what seemed like hours. He keeps talking / fussing at the dog as they leave. I suspect he turnes the deer who circles around him and comes down the dike . The deer freezes with its head 4-6 inches in front of the muzzle of the carbine . By now the guy is 75-100 yards away and the deer is looking his way . I couldn't resist .  ;D

Offline R.W.Dale

• Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #67 on: June 15, 2010, 06:18:45 AM »
How predictable! ::)

It took less than three full pages before the principals set fourth in the OP were comletely abandoned.

In case you guys can't tell. Railing about how someones legal hunting methiod should be illegal because you don't approve IS putting down someones style of hunting.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2010, 07:05:35 AM »
Think SATIRE  ;)

Offline R.W.Dale

« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2010, 07:27:44 AM »
Think SATIRE  ;)

::)

Don't try to blow it off just cause you're embarrassed about being called out

Discussions that get into proposals for changing disability permits and discussing mechanical releases are not "just ribbing"

Just man up and admit you're all a bunch of hypocrites who weren't even self disciplined enough to not completely contradict yourselves in the same thread

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #70 on: June 15, 2010, 08:06:05 AM »
Krochus BS , I bow hunted with recurve and 2 different compounds , with a cross bow , inlines and side locks with and with out scopes . If it were up to me you would get your lic and tags then hunt and kill your legal take any way you wanted . I wouldn't care if ya jumped out a tree and bit um on the neck. Heck I even trap. And really don't care if someone baits .

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #71 on: June 15, 2010, 08:14:49 AM »
Here in southern Minnesota we can kill one deer. I could care less how someone else kills there's. Don't ally yourselves with the anti's.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline R.W.Dale

« Reply #72 on: June 15, 2010, 08:20:29 AM »
Krochus BS , I bow hunted with recurve and 2 different compounds , with a cross bow , inlines and side locks with and with out scopes . If it were up to me you would get your lic and tags then hunt and kill your legal take any way you wanted . I wouldn't care if ya jumped out a tree and bit um on the neck. Heck I even trap. And really don't care if someone baits .

I don't care if if you've hunted with a tootbrush or what kind of sportsman street cred you think you have. That's not the point of this thread.

This thread is about NOT disrespecting others method of hunting

Something that's really not happening here on page three.

Now I can agree that an open season with only with set dates and a bag limit would be ideal. But I can say that without dissing someones gear choice. Even in a satirical context

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #73 on: June 15, 2010, 08:20:45 AM »
Hunting is finding the critter the tool you use to kill it is just that killing it.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #74 on: June 15, 2010, 08:24:32 AM »
never tried a tooth brush ,
Not respecting your hunt would be trying to stop it , to offer an opinion in opposition is American . To agree if you didn't would be PC.

Offline R.W.Dale

« Reply #75 on: June 15, 2010, 09:48:12 AM »
Not respecting your hunt would be trying to stop it , to offer an opinion in opposition is American . To agree if you didn't would be PC.

Nice excuse for basically admitting you have no intention  whatsoever to NOT as the OP asked "putting down others' styles of hunting "

Round this corner of the interweb we call that TROLLING

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #76 on: June 15, 2010, 09:55:58 AM »
Read my post on page 1 , 2 and three it addresses the orig. posters post. No excuse or trolling involved . So far your post make little sense with accusing me of blowing it off , trolling or excuses . Have you read anything ? you seem to troll looking to start a fight ?

Offline R.W.Dale

« Reply #77 on: June 15, 2010, 10:04:57 AM »
Read my post on page 1 , 2 and three it addresses the orig. posters post. No excuse or trolling involved . So far your post make little sense with accusing me of blowing it off , trolling or excuses . Have you read anything ? you seem to troll looking to start a fight ?

Yes I did read your earlier posts.......which you completely contradict when you join in with the other hypocrites railing against certain string propelled weapons.

That's my point

(paraphrased)

"How a person hunts if legal is fine by me" page 1 and 2

vs

"Crossbows and compound aren't real hunting and should be banned" page 3

One poster even says if you can't draw a bow you shouldn't hunt

Now if you can't see the double speak and hypocrisy in this you shouldn't be allowed to read.

Offline snapcrackpop

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Baloo - blue weim
« Reply #78 on: June 15, 2010, 10:05:41 AM »
I agree with SHOOTALL's definition of "disrespecting" and "PC".

And just to make myself clear, I'm opposed to crossbows and the laws that allow them during archery season.  But if I met someone on a trail, I'd smile and wish them good luck. (provided they were following the laws)
Got:

Offline R.W.Dale

« Reply #79 on: June 15, 2010, 10:09:38 AM »
 But if I met someone on a trail, I'd smile and wish them good luck. (provided they were following the laws)

Then why for the love of god won't you extend that same curtosey here? You shouldn't be willing to say anything here you wouldn't say to someone you met on the trail

Offline snapcrackpop

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Baloo - blue weim
« Reply #80 on: June 15, 2010, 10:27:59 AM »
I do praise anyone on a good shot with any legal weapon.  Maybe I'm posting in the wrong topic.

I don't feel I'm crossing the "disrespecting" line here.    To me a crossbow is more like a gun and shouldn't be in the archery season.  That's all.  I have a problem with the LAWS that allow that, not the HUNTER following the law...  thus this "discussion".

I just feel that compounds shouldn't be allowed under the "archery season" without a disability permit.

The problem with one all inclusive season is safety.  Yes everyone should identify their target, but a camoflaged bow hunter walking to the stand would be at risk in the same woods with a rifle hunter.  We have to have sepperate seasons for different styles of hunting.  Gun season, bow season, muzzle loader season, primative hunting season, ... where would it stop?
Got:

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #81 on: June 15, 2010, 10:28:37 AM »
the guy on the trail didn't ask an opinion maybe ?

Offline R.W.Dale

« Reply #82 on: June 15, 2010, 10:53:25 AM »
The problem with one all inclusive season is safety.  Yes everyone should identify their target, but a camoflaged bow hunter walking to the stand would be at risk in the same woods with a rifle hunter.

True

But it could also be argued that camouflage while deer hunting is unnecessary and orange or chartreuse certianlly won't hurt especally if all round safety is improved.   Remember during small game season which overlaps bow you have folks with rifles in the woods already. IME about the only critters that requires camo are predators and Turkey, deer could care less even if you were dressed like Bozo the clown.

All in all I think an open but bag limited season would be a good thing with the positive far ought weighing the negative. But you're right EVERYONE would have to wear orange.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #83 on: June 15, 2010, 11:05:36 AM »
A bow hunter could wear orange to the stand as many turkey hunters do. To be fair bow hunters even crossbow hunters ambush and once the woods are full of gun shots and in some places dogs that approch is handicaped . And while talking bows a crossbow has less power than a compound or even some long bows . For one the bolt is lighter with less retained energy . The limbs are shorter with less stored energy . Yes pull weight is higher but with shorter limbs and bolts less energy is transferred to the target . And range is about the same or sometimes less. The strong point is aiming and not having to hold.

Offline john keyes

• A Real Regular
« Reply #84 on: June 15, 2010, 11:08:08 AM »
c'mon guys, if we don't hang together we hang separately.

I admit since I started this thread I've looked down on all kinds of stuff I've read since then with a holier than thou attitude.  so I'm probably the biggest hypocrite of all.   ;D

sometimes you have to laugh at yourself to keep it real.  we take ourselves waaaaay too seriously sometimes.   :o

I would imagine that the people who post here at GBO  have fired more rounds, killed more game and had more guns (and bows) and spent more time outdoors that we are (to steal the term from the bikers) 1%ers.

as much as I hate laws I really would like to see a requirement for binoculars to keep people from glassing (people) with their scopes.  but how many people get killed because a gun went off while somebody was using their scope to look at someone?  hell I don't know.   ;D
Though taken from established manufacturers' sources and presumed to be safe please do not use any load that I have posted. Please reference Hogdon, Lyman, Speer and others as a source of data for your own use.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #85 on: June 15, 2010, 11:10:10 AM »
If you send a round their way the most always leave .

Offline john keyes

• A Real Regular
« Reply #86 on: June 15, 2010, 11:14:04 AM »
I would love a heated stand , wouldn't mind a beautiful lady cooking breakfast in it either . It ain't got to be sport to be fun or hunting/shooting .

[
I've seen the same shows. It makes me laugh. My "heated stand" is usually sittin' my butt on a stone wall or a stump and waitin' for the sun to come up.
Spanky

ha ha you guys are a riot  LMAO
Though taken from established manufacturers' sources and presumed to be safe please do not use any load that I have posted. Please reference Hogdon, Lyman, Speer and others as a source of data for your own use.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #87 on: June 15, 2010, 11:17:17 AM »
Who's kidding ?

Offline john keyes

• A Real Regular
« Reply #88 on: June 15, 2010, 11:18:56 AM »
Who's kidding ?

well, I could go into some of my "hunting" experiences but this is a family site   ;D

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #89 on: June 15, 2010, 11:39:39 AM »
 :D