Author Topic: I think I made a good deal... gonna fill up the safe!  (Read 753 times)

Offline no guns here

• Trade Count: (1)
I think I made a good deal... gonna fill up the safe!
« on: April 15, 2010, 10:07:28 PM »
So the SIL called and needs to sell some guns to pay for a divorce.

I picked up a Henry .22 (the Golden Boy?), a synthetic Rem 870, a wood Rem 870 and a "Browning shotgun with a scope on it".  The scope is a Nikon of some sort.  I gave her $1200 for the lot.  I know the BIL took pretty good care of his stuff and didn't really use it much.  A dealer offered her $1000 for the lot.  So I figure I helped her out and got a decent deal.  The Browning is the kicker.  Depending upon what it and the scope are, I could have made a really good deal.  Will probably sell off one of the 870's.  Now I'm up to 7 new guns that I own that I've never even seen or shot...  I'll probably have to reorg the safe when I get there in July.

NGH
"I feared for my life!"

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
Re: I think I made a good deal... gonna fill up the safe!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 02:21:25 AM »
Hmmmmmmm....SIL divorcing BIL?!?   To which one are you related?  Your Sis I hope.  

So BIL lost possession of his stash of guns?  Reading between the lines, this seems to be a developing situation.  I think the court will grant him possession of his guns.  You could be out $1,200 and accessory to "Adverse Possession" quite possibly having to pay to replace his guns.  I hope I am wrong about this.

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 02:58:09 AM »
Land_Owner, maybe his wife's sister or brother?
Steve
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA
AF&AM #294
LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years/now retired!

Offline no guns here

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 09:01:20 PM »
Wife's sis...  common property the way it's told to us.  She already sold off a few to pay for other bills.  Sold her rings too.  I think it'll al be clear.  Fair price... not one of those $1 sales.  he wasn't suppporting her and kids so...  no judge in southern Oklahoma would go for that.

NGH
"I feared for my life!"

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 11:39:38 PM »
Thanks guys.  I don't know where my head was when I posted that.  I think you got a sweet deal!

I got divorced - once.  

I did my best to take the kids with me, but when the Court said no, I did my very best to remain their father with full financial and in-person support in the face of the first 5 years of unwavering vitriol from the Ex.  She's better today knowing she could have gotten a Dead Beat with no place to direct all of that anger.  My kids know it too and wish today the Court had been kinder to them at the time.  Real Fathers have Rights too.  It took time for her grow up.

Offline no guns here

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 05:33:50 AM »
Okay so I got some pics in the email...

The Henry has a large loop lever, not sure if that matters or not.

The synthetic 870 is a super mag... doesn't mean anything to mean I don't have a need for 3.5 inch shells.  I guess that just means the action is bigger and heavier.  I'll probably sell this one.

The wood 870 looks to be a standard 870.  The pictures (with a camera phone) show what looks like decent wood.  I'd be surprised at that but am hopefull.  Might keep this one for the kids or maybe make it "tactical" for fun.

The "browning shotgun with a scope" is actually a Browning A-bolt in .325 WSM.  It's stainless and synthetic in the pics... could I get really lucky and get the more valuable "Ti"?  I'll have to wait and see...  It does have what appears to be a 3-9x40 Nikon on it.  Can't think of anything I "NEED" this on for.  I have .308's and .30-'06's, and .45-70's.  I have a .376 Steyr too but am trying to sell it before I move back stateside this summer.  Might sell it, might keep it... ain't much that it will kill that an '06 won't.  But then again I do have some empty space in my safe...

NGH

All in all I think I ended up with about $2000 worth of guns, maybe a bit more.
"I feared for my life!"

Offline dukkillr

• Trade Count: (0)
    • The Daily Limit
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 04:45:56 AM »
I probably should already know this but, where are you from?  Was the figure you paid in US$?

Offline no guns here

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 05:29:32 AM »
Dukkillr,

why should you know???

Anyway...

in reverse chronological order...

Germany
Maryland
Belgium
Alabama
Virginia
Mississippii
Oklahoma

So, I'm in Germany now.  I'm only here for another 10 weeks or so.  Then it's off to Texas for a year or so.  Yep the $$$ were in US currency.

Later y'all,
NGH
"I feared for my life!"

Offline dukkillr

• Trade Count: (0)
    • The Daily Limit
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 05:47:48 AM »
I just wondered because i know gun values vary greatly in different countries.  No offense intended.