Author Topic: Homemade or Store Bought Shooting Bench configuration  (Read 3127 times)

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
Homemade or Store Bought Shooting Bench configuration
« on: April 16, 2010, 02:10:20 AM »
LaOtto222 gave me an idea for this topic.  He is thinking about putting wheels on his bench.  So I though I would tell you a little about mine and see what everyone uses for theirs.

I rough cut, into two halves, a piece of 4' x 8' x 3/4" plywood.  I glued and screwed the two halves together, one on top of the other.  I cut off one of the rear corners into a half "Y" shape.  This shape will accommodate either left or right hand shooters, depending on which corner you cut.  Lop off both corners for both handed shooters.

Using a band sander, I champfer all corners to remove hard edges.  I do not seal the surface.  Probably should since I leave it outside year round and it is starting to delaminate after 2 years.

For legs, I use Home Depot or Lowes plumbing Department 6" diameter PVC pipe, 3 each 6" x 4" DWV Closet Flange Spigot, 6" x 22.5 degree bend, and galvanized lag screws.  Screw the DWV Spigot in three places with the lag screws, glue the bend to the spigot, cut the legs to suit.

I only use three legs on my bench.  Two up front for stability and one in the rear.  A tripod type leg arrangement with the 22.5 degree bend turned outward from the bench - not directly ahead or directly to the side, but on the diagonal, except for the rear which is directly to the rear.  It is very stable and handles the dirt road well.  You can also trim off the edge of the PVC legs "points" too.

Of course, use of an 11.25 degree bend, if they have them, would be fine.  Probably preferred.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: Homemade or Store Bought Shooting Bench configuration
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 02:50:59 AM »
Heres a link to the one I made for my first P-dog shoot , tried to copy / paste but the pics would not come through .

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,86128.0.html

Set up takes about 5 min or less and weighs about 25 pounds with sand bags , it makes for a nice stable platform provided the wind is not blowing too bad .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 03:48:02 AM »
   The one i made looks just like the one stimpy made. It works great.
               bobg

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 05:44:08 AM »
I use an Aero Aces pattern table, have two of them, it's simple to make, light, easy to set up and self leveling.  ;)

Tim

http://www.aeroaces.com/bench1.htm

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 10:02:43 AM »
And that's what you get those sub-moa groups from, Tim?
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 12:27:09 PM »
Store Bought...when not shooting at my public range

This one here..

B&D Workmate 31 1/4 W x 32 1/4 H x 28 1/4 D

This one is prettier cause it's new..

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 01:20:23 PM »
And that's what you get those sub-moa groups from, Tim?

It's very possible on a good day, this range trip was shot on the portable tables.  ;D

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,176647.msg1098841196.html#msg1098841196

So was this one, that's at 131yds.

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,204494.msg1099067847.html#msg1099067847

Tim

Offline Ten Ring

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 01:27:10 PM »
If you find a old folding ironing board you can make a geat height adjustable shooting bench out of it.
Jim
223,22-250,280,270,357m,2-35 whelen,2-444 marlin,3-45/70,45LC,45/70BC.,500SW,35rem,300aac,44mag

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 01:29:04 PM »
Mine is a three legged design too. 1 1/2" thick top (2 - 3/4" plywood) with 1" pipe legs mounted to the top with flanges that are through bolted. I put an extra board on the side with 3 half circle cut-outs to rest guns against. It works great, it makes a real solid rest, but is heavy. I took on the PD shoot last year and I do not want to carry it very far. That is why I am thinking about putting wheels on two of the legs. Then I can put a shelf under it and store/carry bags with it.

Just to give everyone a laugh. I put 5" extensions on the original legs, because it was a little too low for my chronograph/tripod. I put a bullet right through the dang Chrony ::) I do not have that problem now.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 03:39:05 PM »
mine is an old cypress picnic table my boy made 20 years ago.
dowled and glued and just as sturdy as the bench my dad and i made
from concrete in the first test cell back 40+ years ago...
wish i had a nickle for ever shoot'n iron thats been touched off on'um  ;D
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline Lucky Joe

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2010, 05:37:28 PM »
This is mine, the legs fold in under the bench and it can be laid in a car trunk if necessary. The right rear leg is adjustable side to side for uneven ground. It is very portable and solid.

Lucky Joe

"There's always a way."

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2010, 06:30:38 PM »
2x4 sheet of 3/4 ply , get folding table legs from harbor freight, lowes and home depot carries them too they just charge more.glue and screw a 3/4 piece across one end then put one set of legs on it (spacer so it can collapse flat) attach other set to other end of the plywood. i use a router to round over the edges. cut notches in one side for rifle rest for guns not in use.I cut one end about in half for a foot and then cut to the edge either for left or right handed shooter.   Drill two one inch holes near edge 5-6 in apart then join them with a saber saw and you have a handle to carry the table.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2010, 02:22:05 AM »
   Looks a little short to me Mac. I want mine at least 40 inches long. 48 is better yet. ;D
          bobg

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2010, 05:07:16 AM »
If you find a old folding ironing board you can make a geat height adjustable shooting bench out of it.
Jim
That seem like it would be kind of unstable side to side, but it's a good idea as far as being able to adjust the hieght.
I too a piece of 3/4" ply about 20"wX36"l built a 2X4 frame and legs under it and attachet it to the rail of my back deck. not very portable but is good and solid. As far as portable I'm 6"4" and with a caldwell bag the roof of my volvo makes a very steady rest. Gotta love a car with powder burns on the roof.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2010, 05:20:42 AM »
Gotta love a car that will take a 6'4" guy!
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Ten Ring

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2010, 06:26:14 AM »
Spikehorn, You use the frame of the ironing board, replace the top with plywood and you can widen the feet for stability.
Jim
223,22-250,280,270,357m,2-35 whelen,2-444 marlin,3-45/70,45LC,45/70BC.,500SW,35rem,300aac,44mag

Offline noyb72

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2010, 08:48:18 AM »
I have several "benches" I shoot off of. My favorite uses a piece of maple butcher block as a top. Salvaged from an old table, 1.25 inches thick. I used threaded legs brackets like the ones above and used black pipe for the legs (4 total, two at the diagonal up front and two straight out back.) I rigged a shelf between the left front and both back legs that is deep enough to hold extra sandbags and other odds and ends. I use this when I'm working up loads and adjusting optics. Other than that I'm usually shooting from an unassisted position, you don't kill things or win matches off a bench.

Ron

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2010, 10:45:34 AM »
Other than that I'm usually shooting from an unassisted position, you don't kill things or win matches off a bench.

Well, that's not necessarily true, I think anyone that shoots prairie dogs would disagree.  ;)

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,120491.msg1098403848.html#msg1098403848

Offline Slowhanddd

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (43)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2010, 10:51:54 AM »

Here's mine.Made out of 6x6 cedar posts and doubled 3/4"plywood.Bought the umbrella at a garage sale.Can shoot from either side.Real stable,but not too portable.Slow
Life is not about how fast you run, or how high you climb, but how well
you bounce

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2010, 12:30:52 PM »
   Looks a little short to me Mac. I want mine at least 40 inches long. 48 is better yet. ;D
          bobg

Depends..With my rest set up on in..it works very nice..plenty enough room for my ammo and such sitting on top..plus I have a nice built in vice to utilize too..so it is very versitle ;)

Mac

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2010, 12:57:29 PM »
   Mac. Could you show me a pic of how you set up on it?  My Workmate sure would be easier to carry around than the bench i made.

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2010, 12:59:53 PM »
It would be easy enough to made a top-piece to clamp into the Workmate for a bench suface to meet your individual requirements.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2010, 01:45:43 PM »
This is the only picture I have right now of a rifle sitting on the top..It's not really a true set up pic..but will give you a idea of how much room you can actually have with it. I shoot all of my rifles off the side..as this gives the most amount of room..Pistol shooting is done the other way from the front side. I am in the process of rebuilding the top 3 sections for it..using all the hard ware from the original one.The MDF isn't real good any more since we went through 3 floods here..I am making a plywood pistol perch for it as well..one that will fit in my reloading box..as well as other clamp on brackets for my reloading equipment..and a retainer for my digital display for my chronograph..

As gcrank1 said..with the clamping capability of this unit..you can have multiple surfaces simply by adding them and clamping them down..It works great as it is for shooting on a dry surface..but you will need to take 2 small sections of wood along for the feet to rest on if it's muddy..to keep it from sinking..or to level it.It's very compact when folded down as you know.

This is a 26" Handi barrel..and I shoot mostly from a high upright position with all of my Handi's..It allows the rifle recoil to push me backwards easily and tames the pain when shooting any bruiser loads..I'll post more pictures when I have finished the tops for it along with my range box..

Mac

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2010, 02:04:58 PM »
  Thanks Mac. Now i see what you are doing. Your Workmate must be longer than mine. Never thought of adding a piece to the center. The older i get the dumber i get. :       
                bobg

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2010, 04:39:56 PM »
  Thanks Mac. Now i see what you are doing. Your Workmate must be longer than mine. Never thought of adding a piece to the center. The older i get the dumber i get. :       
                bobg

Mine actually came that way..It allows all 3 pieces to be moved around for different uses..It's pretty cool

Mac

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2010, 05:30:41 PM »
I have one of them game carts that I got from GM on closeout for like $49 and I have walked cicles around it about a billion times trying to get ideas on how to convert it to a wheeled portable cart  and bench combo. That way there you could haul a couple of guns your cooler, rests , spotting scope ,chair, ammo. May be handy up in SD this yr as I think the new laws says you must stay on the 2 track or the road so there is supposed to be no more drivin up to the town as it has been in past yrs. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2010, 07:21:17 AM »
2x4 sheet of 3/4 ply , get folding table legs from harbor freight,...

That is exactly how I made mine many years ago.  Finished the plywood with spar varnish.  My hunting buddy still uses it on the farm.
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club