Author Topic: new hornet barrel  (Read 408 times)

Offline dangerranger

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
new hornet barrel
« on: April 16, 2010, 08:36:25 PM »
 I got a new hornet barrel from Trapper Ray today. mounted a scope on it, and did the usual detailing before shooting. I noticed a couple of things right away. this is much heavier than my old hornet,  and its a 1-9" twist . 
my old one is a 1-16". question is with the faster twist will I be able to shoot heavier bullits, say 55gr? It would be nice to be able to share bullits with the 223. DR

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
Re: new hornet barrel
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 03:14:57 AM »
Yes, it will be a whole new world of .22 Hornet for you. For too long the Hornet was hobbled by that 1:16 as most wouldnt stabalize more than a 45, some few a 50gr bullet. Not so now. Load some and tell us how its working.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline manatee1947

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 03:38:38 AM »
my guess would be that it would shoot pretty well with bullets up to say the 60 gr v-max, 64 gr winchester, maybe even the 69 gr sierra match, but that does not leave much powder space. I need to check my barrel to see what it is, I have not yet.
remember the starfish

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 04:01:34 AM »
If you want to shoot the heavy bullets check the max coal on a chambered dummy round .If it is short  have it throated out for the longer bullets.In a single shot the COAL is not limited by anything but the throat.   70 gr in a hornet  almost a Whisper , nice idea ;D
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 04:21:39 AM »
Just keep in mind the heavier boolits will not have very good terminal ballistics as they will not expand at the lower velocities that you will be working with. So for hunting you will need the lighter boolits. JMHO

Mc ;)

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 04:35:32 AM »
Which is to say, the heavier, thus slower bullets may not expand as they would from a cartridge that can drive them faster. It is rather relative though, since distance and retained velocity play into it. With the Hornet you may limit you shots to 150, maybe 200yd? Trajectory may be your real limiting factor, and how most distance shots are missed. The heavier bullet will also have more beans if you want to knock about some silouettes, etc., or the game you are after doesnt need more than a punch though. As said, it will almost be a Whisper and they do have a reputation.   
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline dangerranger

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 03:24:07 PM »
 I dont need heavier bullits as much as I need longer. the 36gr barnes varmit grenades are about the same length as a 55gr lead bullit. most of the hunting I do is under 150yds anyway. that would be ground squirrels, for coyotes its pretty brushy so 100yds is a long shot.if it shoots well I may open this one up to a K Hornet and take full advantage of the faster twist. DR