Author Topic: Smoking Deal Dillon 550  (Read 965 times)

Offline huntducks

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Smoking Deal Dillon 550
« on: April 17, 2010, 06:48:23 AM »
Who says there are no deals out there bought this 550 used at a gun shop no less for $250, sign on box said as is no returns, some of the parts were lose in box so I spent 30min mounting it and puting it together, the kicker was it came with a nice set of Dillon Carbide 44 dies 3 die conversions 223, 25-06, 30 carbine extra powder measure tool head and stand it was missing  4 buttons total and the primer warning system has a crack it still works fine.

I ran off about 100 223 last night.
Remember it's where the first bullet goes out of a cold barrel that counts most.

Offline okielectrician

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Smoking Deal Dillon 550
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 07:11:59 AM »
Nice buy,wish I could find a sweet find like that.Still have the old single stage.But it gets me by. :D
Thank God for the woods and the critters that inhabit them

Offline james25889

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 01:55:25 PM »
Thats a great deal

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 02:19:08 PM »
thanks, it will keep my hopes and optimism up.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline huntducks

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 07:50:18 AM »
Sometimes I just wonder about the big picture of things I guess faith smiled down on me, two days before I saw a add on craigs list brand new 550 in box $250 I called the guy up and was the first one, he was about 60mi away from me and told him I wanted it and was leaving right now he said fine it's yours by the time I got there someone else bought it and left.

I just happened into this gun shop 25mi in the other direction to buy a 38 cal collet for my RCBS bullet puller and there was the 550 sitting on a table in a apple box with a bunch of loose parts another guy looking at it soon as he took his hands off of it and took a step or two away I grabbed the box and took it to the register it also had a RCBS hand primer unit with shell holders taken a part minius the primer tray now I got two hand primer units.

In this day an age with people gobbling up used reloading stuff at top $ I was surprised to see it there.

Dand just keep looking and don't think to long just pull the trigger when you see it.
Remember it's where the first bullet goes out of a cold barrel that counts most.

Offline OLDHandgunner

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 02:48:52 PM »
Great Find. It's a super press.

Offline cybin

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 06:49:11 AM »
Looks like your bench is getting full--your going to need another bench soon looks like.

cybin

Offline huntducks

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 09:22:41 AM »
My 10x20 reloading room is bulging here is what my other bench looks like + another mec 9000 squeezed in, I have a desk at the end that the tumblers are going to go on

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 12:46:19 AM »
Sometimes I just wonder about the big picture of things I guess faith smiled down on me...

You see?  Lightning DOES strike twice in the same place! 

Apparently you were destined to get that Dillon and a good deal too.  Don't you find it a bit "unusual" that it happened TWICE for you in short order?  Now that's not coincidence...or is it?

Offline huntducks

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 06:54:32 AM »
Sometimes I just wonder about the big picture of things I guess faith smiled down on me...

You see?  Lightning DOES strike twice in the same place! 

Apparently you were destined to get that Dillon and a good deal too.  Don't you find it a bit "unusual" that it happened TWICE for you in short order?  Now that's not coincidence...or is it?

Land Owner

I agree it's not the first time something like that has happened some years back I went into a pawn shop they had a md 42 Win. for $325 a great deal, I always wanted one, the guy would not take a check I said I'll be back i'm going to the bank set the gun aside for me he no need I have had it for 3mo I got back maybe 5-6 hours later as I was working and had to go by a job, gun sold when, maybe a week or so later I stopped in another pawn shop guy was trying to sell a md 42 skeet gun the shop offered him $175 about $600 under value I listened and when the pawn shop worker got on the phone I offered him $300 we went outside and made the deal.

Boy I just wonder when someone is smiling down.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 01:18:21 PM »
Do you play the "Lottery"?  I would like to purchase tickets just ahead of you and spot you for the ticket purchase(s) that you make.

Good post.  Interesting deja vu.  I have had a few too, on a differnet front.  I told wifey while walking through a  forest we frequent only at Thanksgiving that I could "call" a deer to see.  She poo-pooed the idea.  I told her to watch and commenced to mentally ask for the presence and viewing of my furry friends.  Not three minutes later, a 6-point buck stood up within 50 yards in plain view and walked away.  Her mouth was wide open.  I have done that on multiple occasions on my own while deer hunting.  I don't do it for money and I generally keep it to myself as it could just as likely NOT happen.  But I sure like it when it does.  May be a latent sixth sense when in their hidden presence.  May be just coincidence and high deer density.  One never knows.

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 02:32:44 PM »
The worst was what used to happen to me when I was in my 20s and 30s and raising a family.  I'd run across a smokin' deal just about the time I barely had two nickels to rub together because of a refrigerator going out or car repairs or some such.

Lately things are better though.  My best most recent deal was also on a Dillon 550b and a ton of accessories.  The seller had put all of the stuff on a "wish list" on the web just to get a total if bought retail and the Dillon and all the accessories, dies and change parts were about $2100.  He told me he'd let it all go for $500 and in addition had a list of guns he wanted to sell.  I showed up at his house to look at the Dillon stuff but took a wad of cash just in case there were other deals to be had.  I left there with the Dillon stuff, a Garand hand picked from CMP, 675 rounds of surplus 30-06, a Springfield 1911 "loaded" model, a Ruger 10/22 and a Ruger Mk III 22/45 with a red dot sight.  I counted out 19 Ben Franklins to him and left there a very happy camper!!

Curtis
Lord, please help me to be half the man my dogs think I am.

Contender in 17 Rem, 22lr, 22k Hornet, 223 Rem, 256 WM, 6TCU, 7TCU, 7-30, 30 Herrett, 300 Whisper, 30-30 AI, 357 mag, 357 Herrett, 375 JDJ, 44 mag, 45/410..... so far.

Offline huntducks

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 10:42:50 AM »
landowner & Curtis

played the lotto ZERO,

Boy that's nice when you make a score like that.

I was involed in a minor way, I was in a good friends Bus. one day when he had a guy who did a lot of remodel work for him on his home show up with his passed away dad's Colt collection my buddy bought $7000 worth of single action colts for $500ea most where Gen 3 but a few where 1&2 all came in there box's with paper work some unfired and the few that were in like 99%, my friend knew nothing about handguns let lone SA Colts he is a shotgun shooter only, I did get in on the action a little bought a 1911 in 38 super a Ser. 70 gold cup for $500ea.

After the guy left my buddy said so how bad did I do i'll I could do was grin and shake my head and drool all over his guns.

When I was in the hay day of my plumbing Bus. mid 80's I would spend hours sitting in my open top CJ7 going over blue prints outside several pawnshops waiting for guys selling guns let me tell you I got some real scores a few I kept many I traded or sold.