Author Topic: new bronze  (Read 48231 times)

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: new bronze
« Reply #150 on: May 07, 2010, 03:08:08 PM »
What are it's dimensions?  What size slowmatch will fit in it securely?  Possible to design it so it can be used with a range of diameter matchcord?

As I told you before you unleashed this to the world, I like the concept, but knowing something else about it, I have to ask about it's flexibility for various people's use. <hint-hint...no machining...hint>

Speaking of no machining, wouldn't this design need to be bored out for the shaft?  Perhaps if it were deigned with a rectangular base and a flange on each side there would really be no machining needed.  Just fit a rectangular piece of wood to it and put a couple of through bolts through the flanges to secure it.  Maybe that would be more involved than boring it for a round shaft...Idunno.  

It would be nice to pair this with a pointed butt cap that could stick in the ground.

Edit:  I just looked a little more closely, and give then fact that it's a slot for the slowmatch, it should accomodate a variety of sizes, as larger diameters will just squeeze in, or the owner could take a needle file and open it up if it's too small.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #151 on: May 07, 2010, 05:02:32 PM »
I like it.  Functional with attitude.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #152 on: May 07, 2010, 11:32:40 PM »
if the wax is hollowed out as much as possible it doesnt need to be so very heavy and you got the hole for the shaft directly in the casting
no machine job needed at all

its a very lovely design

just remember to do all the finishing work on the wax gary
this was the 93 time   ;D
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #153 on: May 08, 2010, 02:32:39 AM »
Nice design, but you need a much longer shaft on the socket -

one stroke with a broad sword and your holding a long stick looking silly.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #154 on: May 08, 2010, 05:06:29 AM »
The long stick of a pole arm is the weapon - all pole arms are designed to be used as staffs first - the tip is just a bonus.

Thanks Dan - I was looking at it trying to figure out how it would be cast with a hollow bottom, and with a minimum of sprue.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #155 on: May 08, 2010, 05:27:52 AM »

It has a full socket ,no machining . ;D

there will be a matching butt piece .

good idea Kabar , I 'll just have to make a serris of them to explore the possibilities  ;)

I can decorate these things so each one is differant .....no sure yet ,but keep those suggestions coming . 8)
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #156 on: May 08, 2010, 05:51:48 AM »
tell him nothing , damn rodent......should be doing cannons.
Scottish by birth and by heart.

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #157 on: May 08, 2010, 06:57:03 AM »
Outstanding work!!
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #158 on: May 08, 2010, 07:29:08 AM »
Thanks guys ,except for a certain woodsmackin termite .

If you ever git your self over here rosebud we'll get you decked out in some boots ,a quickdraw rig , nice vest and pour your 2 gallon head into a 10 gallon hat sit you on a horse and call you Sawdust

"Sawdust Tommy Mcglynn" ;D  sounds good dont it .

If Id have done what you suggested with it I woulda got it snagged on a kidney stem or something .

The point that holds the match is just a simple groove .

Sawdust Tommy' ..... I hope it sticks  ;) What else would you call a man from England ?

I'm smilin Tom  ;D and ready to duck .

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #159 on: May 08, 2010, 07:44:42 AM »
I can handle all the rest......but please , I'm asking nicely...no more of the English talk...even the dragon doesn't go there. Rusty Claymores can prove difficult in emergency extraction.
Scottish by birth and by heart.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #160 on: May 08, 2010, 12:01:53 PM »
You know if you bored a hole in the side of the upturned arm so the hole came out the edge you could
run a piece of slow match through it and have a useful artillery implement......
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #161 on: May 08, 2010, 12:54:51 PM »
I can handle all the rest......but please , I'm asking nicely...no more of the English talk...even the dragon doesn't go there. Rusty Claymores can prove difficult in emergency extraction.

It bothers you to be called English ?  :P   I won't do it anymore then , I must not understand the Scotts /English thing .

I knew you guys kinda took this thing seriously , but maybe we over here just dont understand .... :-\

we are not a bad lot , and we have had abit of negitive press latley , but as you've taken a fancy to us , come on over . Dont forget to bring your friggin passport !  ;)

The Scotsmen I've met all had this same them and us thing going . You shouldnt be so hard on yourself though in my humble opinion I'm sure you could be an Englishmen ....couldnt you ?

I my own self am also a Scotsman , it's true ! I became one in 7th grade . Once a Scottsman ALWAYS a Scotsman

"Fight on you fighting Scots we're going to win,win,win , today !! Fight on you fighting Scots.......so on and so on

So dont lord this I'm too senstive stuff on me .... Vato ! Yes I'm an amigo too baby  ;D. Didnt you see the Montana photos ?
Youatola me my insultafu was getting soft .

In 10th grade I became a Eagle too ;D  Then a Marine .

Smilin Tommy I'm a smilin ...... :D and so ready to duck  8)

Dont make me go Hawwian on you ! I got the shirts too prove that blood too baby .

ETA I forgot to post half my post  ;D

And You Kabar this pic is for you ......

You could add a hole but I thought pinching it might work too . I dont know what thickness slo match usually comes in if a hole would make a differance i sure can add one .

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #162 on: May 08, 2010, 01:21:36 PM »
well you know gary , those crazy ENGLISHMEN  from up there in the north they are a little odd .
they dress in womens clothes and cant even make a good quality vodka , they make some brown stuff that they learned from the irish . its not even a good copy .
do you remember the photo of that englisman sitting beside the queen , he didnt even have any underwears
cant understand how the rest of the englishmen can tolerate such an behavior

soon I guess its time to duck , the haggis is soon comming bombarding sweden

best I go to bed now before our dear english friend reads this

goodnight     zzzzzzzzzzzzz
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #163 on: May 08, 2010, 01:31:18 PM »
If I have learned anything from the ways of a scotsman ? I would wonder if they may not haggis you while asleep ?  :D

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #164 on: May 08, 2010, 02:21:06 PM »
Slowmatch is usually made out of 1/4" or larger cotton or hemp cord/rope.  If you ensure the slot is no wider than say 3/16", just about any size should be able to be squeezed in the slot, and held tightly.  

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #165 on: May 08, 2010, 02:51:29 PM »
Gary,  A linstock will look good in bronze.  

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #166 on: May 12, 2010, 02:56:19 PM »
how about this one ?

inspiration is from a sickle sword a a stick ! the teeth looking things are reinforcments because of bronze is soft .

Gary

Offline smokemjoe

• Avid Poster
« Reply #167 on: May 12, 2010, 03:44:27 PM »
I like your shop but the floor is to low or the ceiling is to high, I have half my stuff on nails on the ceiling, You got a nice looking linstock head, Take it to a pattern shop and they can make copy off it and you could have it casted in brass or whatever you wished, Nice looking cannon, I one time went to Mich. to get my hard maple for my gunstocks, Nice to meet a craftmen, Great guys here on board,Welcome aboard. Joe

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #168 on: May 12, 2010, 04:06:34 PM »
Joe - Gary is one of those who can cast the things he designs - no need to go to a shop.

I agree that the linstock looks good, though I don't know exactly what the new design is for.  It looks painful, though.  I'd prefer to stick with steel blades, but possibly combined with a bronze head, perhaps incorporating a handgonne, like some of the originals with axes or other pole arms combined with gonne.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #169 on: May 12, 2010, 04:26:13 PM »
sorry joe that is not my shop ,that is the international headquarters of "Seacoast Artillery" !

My shop is a stove top and a coffee table . sad but true  ;D

Gary

the fellow in blue is the Heart of th e Fai  l sa ffe sSystem .He insuures NOtHing cAn g    ....  . ......    ;D

Offline Spuddy

• Contributor
« Reply #170 on: May 12, 2010, 04:31:28 PM »

It has a full socket ,no machining . ;D

there will be a matching butt piece .

good idea Kabar , I 'll just have to make a serris of them to explore the possibilities  ;)

I can decorate these things so each one is differant .....no sure yet ,but keep those suggestions coming . 8)
Gary,
I would love to have one of these with the butt piece that I could drive into the ground.  I cound then use it as a flag pole and attach a 20th Maine flag to it and stick it in the ground next to my Parrott.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #171 on: May 12, 2010, 04:31:58 PM »
I agree that the linstock looks good, though I don't know exactly what the new design is for. 

a) to light cannons
b) to defend one's self at last resort
c) to uphold one's masculine image with an artistic piece of  hardware that is also functional.
d) all of the above
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #172 on: May 12, 2010, 04:36:24 PM »

hows this ?

eta D

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #173 on: May 12, 2010, 06:09:11 PM »
Thanks GulfCoast !

As some of you know my cammera stopped working awhile ago , ..."Zoom Error" .... I actually fixed it eventualy .

In the meantime Andy offered a much better deal than the price we agreeed on for Morko . WAY !

Thank You Andy I will put it to good use !

A brand new Canon G10 , OH happy Happy joy joy !

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #174 on: May 12, 2010, 07:39:13 PM »
That's good news on the camera you'll be posting more photo's now.......

ok I can stands it no more....... Gary please give that poor table cloth a wash

it;s been on there since you started casting bronze month's ago  and there

were gravy stains on it in the photo (or were they Haggis?) with the class book.......

Allen <><

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #175 on: May 13, 2010, 02:04:02 PM »
I agree that the linstock looks good, though I don't know exactly what the new design is for.  

a) to light cannons
b) to defend one's self at last resort
c) to uphold one's masculine image with an artistic piece of  hardware that is also functional.
d) all of the above
I don't see a way to hold the matchcord in that design - it looks like a pole head only.

Gary,

I like that new one.  It looks very similar to some antiques I've run across.  Of course, I'd insist on using a really long ramrod for that to ensure my hand never got in the way of that blade.  :o

I wouldn't try to incorporate a linstock into this one - a linstock head with a gonne built in is just bad juju.

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #176 on: May 13, 2010, 02:07:59 PM »
That's good news on the camera you'll be posting more photo's now.......
Ah...part of the reason for my renegotiation is revealed.

Really, I should have sold that camera a while ago, but giving it to Gary should be much better than any cash I could have got for it.  I look forward to seeing many more pics!

+1 on the poor table cloth.  Please clean it Gary!

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #177 on: May 13, 2010, 02:20:06 PM »
Andy there is a groove inthe upswept blade thingamorroo .

how about this one ?

Note to Kbar , tomorrow is payday and I will fix the unsightly table cloth 8) , what color do you like ? hummm? :D

the UGLY truth is since dan has been teaching me to make a 50 dollar cannon , my kitchen , my dinning room table and its undernieth where a bunch O boxes for casting  live that have amassed by themselfs and now I am helpless B4 them .  

This bronze has smitten me and my dinning room table and new stove had had to pay .

Thanks Dan

Gary

eta Andy on the first one ,the groove for slo match isnt really shown too good ,but it is on the upswept S blade

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #178 on: May 13, 2010, 02:48:07 PM »
what , who , meeeeee ??

ooooohhh  noooo

ok , maybe   ;D

your welcome

but I bet you had a few hours of fun also  ::)
I love the new camera gary , now you dont have any excuses any more  ;D

btw gary , you misspelled the word cannon , its 3 n in it   ;D
oooohh you talked about the camera , sorry  ;)
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #179 on: May 13, 2010, 03:22:15 PM »
a cannon for a canon . win win .