Author Topic: new bronze  (Read 48276 times)

Offline dan610324

• Trade Count: (0)
  • bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
Re: new bronze
« Reply #210 on: May 15, 2010, 12:00:23 PM »
last 2 pic
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #211 on: May 15, 2010, 12:19:28 PM »
but as long as we dont produce anything by ourself that got the same or better quality than gary does I dont think we should try to tell him what to do  ::)  even if its tempting  ;D

ok the casting aint any problem , but the artistic skills he have is way out of my league

during the learning he showed me lots of sketches and clay masters he had made
they are marvelous

a very good example is that 1660 voc gun , and now its finished in bronze

I guess that it aint many of you guys who actually understand how many hours of work there is behind such an masterpiece , just look at the dolphins on that one and the achantus leafs for example .

Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #212 on: May 15, 2010, 01:48:05 PM »
Thank you for that Dan ,

I'm just back from the "Seacoast Cannon Factory and Towing Sevice World headquarters"  8)

Here are some photos of todays progress on the howie . Shes all bored and chambered With hemisphereical bore bottom . I did the drilling and boring but the hemisphere was all Mike

Mike did the hemi  ,I was the note taker . Many thanks Mike you are a Master of the machine ! Also see the pic of the X-Z axis movments .    I read off the numbers and checked them off one by one , 60 differant cutts to get it done .

This is a Fox Ball going in and out on a magnet .

Here is the print of Mikes calculations ,they were perfect .

This is how i left her . More tomorrow . It looks like she might shine up nice .

THANKS FOR THIS CAMERA ANDY  . these were real quick pics on Auto ....I gotta read the manual .
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #213 on: May 15, 2010, 02:18:59 PM »
Ho... Ho... Howie!!!  The Santa Howie is looking good! ;D

Yep - read the manual, and play around a bit.  Aperture priority would have allowed you to have the whole thing in focus in some of those shots, also raising the ISO may have helped.

Actually, looking at the larger pics, the machine is in focus, while the gun isn't.  Try holding the shutter button down about half way while the cannon (or subject) is in the center of the frame.  You should see it indicate focus through the viewfinder.  While holding the button at this position, you can move the camera to whatever framing you want, and the focus will still be on the subject, unless you zoom or move forward or back.

It may take a few tries, but you'll get the hang of it.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #214 on: May 15, 2010, 02:26:56 PM »
I havnt fgured out film speed yet as i was trying to stop it whils turning  . ???

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #215 on: May 15, 2010, 10:35:42 PM »
I dont think we should try to tell him what to do  ::)  even if its tempting  ;D

I agree. An artist is best left to create what he wants, not being influenced by what others want.

But what the hey, he's already expressed interest in making a certain piece so I guess we wouldn't be out of line to encourage him to continue, right?  ;D

Subliminal message to Gary....YOU WANT TO MAKE A LION MORTAR....LION MORTAR....LION MORTAR....
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #216 on: May 16, 2010, 02:32:16 AM »
Lot of detail on it Gary   still trawling Russkie sites for more info on it   this one from my Brit book   other two pics Russkie sites.
Scottish by birth and by heart.

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #217 on: May 16, 2010, 06:19:01 AM »
I havnt fgured out film speed yet as i was trying to stop it whils turning  . ???

Film speed is the ISO - lower the number here gives you more depth of color, while higher will allow you to shoot in lower light onditions, but at the cost of increased grain (and color depth).

If the gun was rotating and you were trying to "freeze" it in motion, you'd want a fast shutter speed.

Cameras produce photographs - i.e. drawings of light. 

The ISO is the sensitivity of the "film" to the light - more sensitive, less light is required, but more graininess.

Aperture is essentially the size of the hole in the lens that lets in the light - larger hole, more light - and this also changes depth of field (the distance ranges that are in focus gets smaller as the aperture gets larger).  If you look at a picture and the subject is in focus, but the background is all blurred, this was caused by a large aperture (unless it was edited that way).  If you want everything to be in focus, which gives a "flatter image," use a smaller aperture.  Larger apertures are smaller numbers.

Shutter speed is how long the shutter is open.  Longer give more light, but also means you've got to keep the camera still.  Also, if the subject is moving, it will blur in the image if the shutter speed is long.  This can be desired depending on what you're shooting - because it can give a feel of motion, but too much, and you can't even tell what the subject is. 

An exposure takes all of these into account.  For the same amount of exposure, you can vary any of these - If you want the same exposure, but the situation is low light, fast moving object, you'll likely need to shoot in high ISO to be able to use sufficiently fast shutter and a medium aperture.  This will result in a grainier shot, but it will give you the shot.  For the cannon on a lathe, I don't know how dark the workshot is, but your pictures were almost there.  If you bumped up the ISO maybe double what you were at, they probably would have turned out more in focus, because the aperture would have been smaller, allowing the machine and the gun to be in the focal range.

Hope some of that helps.  The main thing is just playing with it.  It'll click in your mind once you start tweaking settings.

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #218 on: May 16, 2010, 06:24:00 AM »
I dont think we should try to tell him what to do  ::)  even if its tempting  ;D

I agree. An artist is best left to create what he wants, not being influenced by what others want.

But what the hey, he's already expressed interest in making a certain piece so I guess we wouldn't be out of line to encourage him to continue, right?  ;D

Subliminal message to Gary....YOU WANT TO MAKE A LION MORTAR....LION MORTAR....LION MORTAR....
Nice subliminal message, though I don't know how I picked it up when it was intended for Gary. ;D

Make the mortar Gary...make the mortar.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #219 on: May 16, 2010, 07:06:36 AM »
Duh I meant shutter speed ,not asa film 'speed' sorry .

i keep geting a desire to make a lion mortar . It Is on the list ,but will be awhile .

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #220 on: May 17, 2010, 09:42:43 AM »
Pics of todays work .

smoke and flame soon ! gotta make a carriage now. I am thing of a Galloper of some sort .

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #221 on: May 17, 2010, 10:09:52 AM »
Very nice Gary.  

I wonder how burnishing would work to clean up and polish bronze.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #222 on: May 17, 2010, 10:15:28 AM »

Here a vidio . There are 2 sweet frames right at halfway . I need to figure out the one with the big long flash frame .

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #223 on: May 17, 2010, 10:21:44 AM »
you got a lot of wood working to do now gary  ;D
all those pieces
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #224 on: May 17, 2010, 10:22:14 AM »
Gary,

Send me a copy of the video and I will take snapshot for you.  Or look at your video editing software for snap shot or frame capture.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #225 on: May 23, 2010, 12:17:23 PM »
Ive been working on the carriage for the Santa swivel gun  :D

here are two views of it ......It will be a wheeled carriage . I'm thinking 16-18" wheels The long axle part will be there . It will be a galloper or grasshopper.

I'd put side ammo boxes on it but then theyd block out the trunion faces .

This last one is one heck of a tool its a reciprocating ,rotory sander . It makes blending radiuses a joy .

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #226 on: May 23, 2010, 01:21:16 PM »
wow gary
that will really be something special
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline The Jeff

• Contributor
« Reply #227 on: May 23, 2010, 01:44:52 PM »
I need to figure out the one with the big long flash frame .

Looks really nice. Here's a screenshot of the muzzle flash. You could probably get a better one using the original video.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #228 on: May 23, 2010, 02:18:19 PM »
Thank you sir! It will be my 'background' for a few days untill my wife takes a pic of baby squirrel .

or a leaf .....???? till then it will be sweet to look at . ;D

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #229 on: May 25, 2010, 01:42:24 PM »
some progress , lots of thinking on how to make the grasshopper . now im thinking about using 20" wheels .

In this pic you can see the top left of the mortar sled .

Here is the right side and a block that will be L shaped . then the main transom piece will slip under it and be locked with a lynch pin .

Tracy said my last photos looked like I was making somthing to trip over .....  ::) nice guy ..... ;D

eta the left side is how long the transome piece will extend , so the right will be trimed .

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #230 on: May 25, 2010, 04:57:22 PM »

Tracy said my last photos looked like I was making somthing to trip over .....  ::) nice guy ..... ;D

I can't believe your hearing is getting worse than mine, Gary.  Actually, I was very complimentary of your new gun carriage.  Among other nice things, I said, "Wow, that looks sturdy, even with that 15 pound howitzer mounted, I think it will be hard to tip over."  ::) ::)

Kidding aside, it's looking good and your plans for those ammo boxes with the hand hammered hardware sound sound great.

T&M
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #231 on: May 25, 2010, 05:36:24 PM »
The beginnings of the carriage are looking good.  I'm looking forward to seeing it in it's finished form.  Speaking of which, are you planning on polishing the rest of the barrel?  It looks like it will take a few hours to negotiate Santa's head and all the other details, but I think it would look better if it all shined like the muzzle end.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #232 on: May 25, 2010, 06:02:04 PM »
yes I will finish the rest of the barrel . I'm leading up to a break here soon . then I will do it . it seems like no one project gets finished B4 I gotta do something else . :o

Got Tims 1838 to finish and one other .

Gary

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #233 on: May 26, 2010, 12:55:10 AM »
 I was thinking that bead blasting would blend the cast/machined surfaces nicely.

Polishing would be cool, but time consuming on that one...
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #234 on: May 26, 2010, 05:24:40 AM »

Tracy said my last photos looked like I was making somthing to trip over .....  ::) nice guy ..... ;D

I can't believe your hearing is getting worse than mine, Gary.  Actually, I was very complimentary of your new gun carriage.  Among other nice things, I said, "Wow, that looks sturdy, even with that 15 pound howitzer mounted, I think it will be hard to tip over."  ::) ::)

Kidding aside, it's looking good and your plans for those ammo boxes with the hand hammered hardware sound sound great.

T&M

Hand hammered hardware?  Right up my alley.  What are you going to do?
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #235 on: May 26, 2010, 05:33:36 AM »
its not so time consuming , just 100+ hours or so  ::)
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #236 on: May 26, 2010, 06:08:15 AM »

T&M

Hand hammered hardware?  Right up my alley.  What are you going to do?
Zulu

What Tracy did is akin to someone intruducing a polatician as "The Man with ALL THE Answers" . He was being a wisenhiemer (hope its not banned ?)  It sounds like a good idea , but we'll see . Maybe you could start a thread on it ...I'd like to see what is involved .

Gary

BTW You should SEE the Tracys Nano gun project now ! .......Its really coming along nicley and Tracy will show the finished product by tommorow . It has a matchless polish and seamless trunions , the castable is pure art . Good work Tracy ! looking forward to those promised photos . :D

Hope to see it soon .

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #237 on: May 26, 2010, 08:18:43 AM »
Gary,
I already did a thread on ammo chest.  Click on this woodworking thread for a lot of step by step pictures of the wood and metal work.
Zulu

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,204408.0.html
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #238 on: May 26, 2010, 12:35:09 PM »
Tim ,I got your cannon and one other today . This guy is way out east , So I got to drive through a tornado storm for you !

Then a 5 min whiteout of rain water going down I-25 ....... :o .

But i did get to see a tornado it it had gone over DIA and was moving north , I was moving south .

Your gun did come thru with your Initials and my mark which is an anchor with my initials on each side .

So you have finaly found yourself on the FRONT burner  ;D   

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #239 on: May 26, 2010, 01:13:46 PM »
Zulu - excellent work on those boxes!

Gary - those new ones are looking good!  They should be much quicker to clean up than the Santa Gun!