Author Topic: new bronze  (Read 48307 times)

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
Re: new bronze
« Reply #360 on: June 28, 2010, 01:51:20 AM »
 Mine's about to get his end mill enema.  ;D

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #361 on: June 28, 2010, 11:44:15 AM »
I've never had an enema, but having seen that, if a nurse ever suggests one, I'll hobble off as fast as possible, no matter how much it's needed. ;D

You doing all the drilling/finishing work, Vic?  Going with a .50 bore, like mine?  I'd love to see what you end up with for a shaft.  Mine is probably not going to be 100% historically accurate, but who really knows what was accurate then anyway?

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #362 on: June 28, 2010, 11:49:02 AM »
MY and I went shooting this morning . It was flintlock black powder day , we took a Bess a Blunderbuss my rifle "Snipper" . The Buss is a cannon .

Mike is a natural with a Brown Bess !

So no work on Dans Morko today ...... :-[

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #363 on: June 28, 2010, 09:47:09 PM »
You doing all the drilling/finishing work, Vic?  Going with a .50 bore, like mine?  I'd love to see what you end up with for a shaft.  Mine is probably not going to be 100% historically accurate, but who really knows what was accurate then anyway?

Yes, I asked Gary to supply the casting as it came from the foundry since I enjoy the machining and finishing work. I'm not going to do much to the surface since I want it to stay as close as possible to how Gary made the wax. Mine will be 50 cal like yours.

I've got a line on a piece of 1.75" dia walnut so I might go with that; 1/3 of the length hex, transitioning to round at the back end I'm thinking. Not sure yet.

I really like this thing. Gonna be quite a conversation starter displayed in my living room or at the range. Just gotta figure out how to mount the scope and tactical flashlight  :)
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #364 on: June 29, 2010, 12:40:28 PM »
Good greif I feel like a slacker ! Dans gun is still needing a day to get more or less finished ,I hope to get her done PDQ Dan !
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #365 on: June 29, 2010, 03:18:01 PM »
I just came in from 4 hours of draw filing my Morko stock (never seen any information regarding draw filing wood, but I figured what I was doing was along the same lines as finishing a barrel, so why not give it a try).  Would have liked to have a rasp...

I wish the wood was denser to offset the weight of the gun.  Doesn't help that I got a little carried away on the lathe...Thinking about adding a bronze buttcap to the shaft, which could help, if I find it too muzzle heavy.

I still have to determine the finish I'm going to use, and do some final sanding.  I've got some of my home brew that I used for my cannon carriage sitting around, so I'll try that on some scrap tommorrow.  Hope to have pics up soon!

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #366 on: June 29, 2010, 03:41:16 PM »
Good work Andy ! I would suspect that more folks were ...kilt... with it as a club than a gun .... ?

That wall spike has a very intuitive look to it ! and not for walls .

I'll seen "disscusion" on these walls spikes  .... Or weapons ? There is no doubt in my mind that they are wall hooks ,and proly equally effective skull spike as well .....

Talk about a blunt weapon ! uuuhhhggg .

Oh yea ...ON THE OTHER HAND ! ;D a 180 degree opposite twist there is Jesus and his big head ......... karma , sin , OH NO's .....      Agian "Thud , Maxwells Golden hammer comes down upon his head !"  

How about a tail spike that matches the gun ..... ? "Plug " ,. now Maxwells golden tail spike is stuck outta his " ear " too ;D

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #367 on: June 29, 2010, 11:46:37 PM »
Good greif I feel like a slacker ! Dans gun is still needing a day to get more or less finished ,I hope to get her done PDQ Dan !

Hey Gary - Howsabout I send you mine back and you can finish the machining along with Dan's? ;D

This everdur is some tough stuff to cut! Are you sure the foundry didn't make them out of Inconel with yellow food coloring added to make it look like bronze?

I haven't seen any porosity in it, so that's good. Should be a very strong barrel.

Sherlock Holmes

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #368 on: June 30, 2010, 02:37:49 PM »
My experience is that carbide is best, although I haven't had any problems drilling with HSS drills.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #369 on: June 30, 2010, 03:44:07 PM »
I drill a pilot hole 1/4 and step it up to whats needed either the socket end or bore .

Come up on it with the mill table instead of down with your spindle . Lock you spindle ! This bronze is "grabby" and will pull the spindle handle hard and stall the bit in the work . Go slow .

Gary

I have a set up developed to where I can do all three machine operations with the same set up .

Bore ,socket and vent .     

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #370 on: June 30, 2010, 03:54:04 PM »
I drill a pilot hole 1/4 and step it up to whats needed either the socket end or bore .

Come up on it with the mill table instead of down with your spindle . Lock you spindle ! This bronze is "grabby" and will pull the spindle handle hard and stall the bit in the work . Go slow .
Gary

I have a set up developed to where I can do all three machine operations with the same set up .

Bore ,socket and vent .     

GOOD ADVICE!   Thanks!
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #371 on: June 30, 2010, 08:50:11 PM »
Although some people don't like grinding their drills, the recommeded way to drill bronze is to grind a small flat on the cutting lips such that it is parallel to the long axis of the drill.  This will stop the self-feeding of the drill into the soft material.  If you want to drill steel afterwards with the same drill, you will have to grind off the flat spots for best effect.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #372 on: July 01, 2010, 02:59:19 AM »
Although some people don't like grinding their drills, the recommeded way to drill bronze is to grind a small flat on the cutting lips such that it is parallel to the long axis of the drill.  This will stop the self-feeding of the drill into the soft material.  If you want to drill steel afterwards with the same drill, you will have to grind off the flat spots for best effect.

Huh?  ;D

Sherlock Holmes

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #373 on: July 05, 2010, 06:11:00 AM »
Morko will packing his passport today ,maybe tomorrow . ;D

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #374 on: July 05, 2010, 11:01:35 AM »
his swedish cousin is really happy to have a visit from the other side of the atlantic ocean
I will bring them together  ;D
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #375 on: July 07, 2010, 05:02:19 AM »
he is on the way 8) . happy as a clam to go see his Great, Great (8 more Greats too )Grandfather who lives in the Museum !

Gary

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #376 on: July 07, 2010, 05:28:25 AM »
Well I hope you put a couple of air holes in the box and packed him a sandwich and a drink  ;D

you want him to be at his best when he arrives, visiting relatives can be stressful...... they can expect so much.....

It would be interesting if the museum would allow a side by side comparison.... some family photos....
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #377 on: July 07, 2010, 06:18:44 AM »
of course we got to have a family reunion
and lots of photos
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #378 on: July 08, 2010, 05:53:14 AM »
what  you doing today Dan? ;)

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #379 on: July 08, 2010, 09:36:16 AM »
today I have been mowing the lawn , or at least a part of it  ;D
because of my heart I make 1/4 each day , it takes 1,5 hours
when I was younger I did it all in 2 hours
and I have been out checking all the local flee markets
but nothing interesting there
and now its soon time to sleep
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline dan610324

• dont have
NOW
« Reply #380 on: July 09, 2010, 12:02:25 PM »
Today I got my hands on him for the first time   ;D

the famous grand grand grand grand grand grand grand grand grand grand grand grand grand grand grand grand grand grand grand grand grand grand grand grand child to the MÖRKÖ hakebus arrived today to my home

yes , its 25 generations between them
approximately 610 years and 25 years per generation

ok he is young and strong , but still he was very tired after the long travel
we just had a quick dinner together and then he want to go to bed
so now he is sleeping
tomorrow I will continue talking to him during breakfast , the communication wasnt easy .
he had a very difficult accent for me to understand , but I will do my best

tomorrow after breakfast I will take him with me and visit our local small boat harbour , its our annual steam boat day here then .
lots of boats and steam engines here then , most of them arrived earlier today .

unfortunately I wasnt there today , it was a cannon salute to celebrate the channel that goes from stockholm and up here to smedjebacken , it was the channels 215th birthday today .

the channel building started 1772 and it was finished in 1795, the height difference from sea level up to the lake norra barken which is the lake here in smedjebacken is 100 meters .
you can look at the channels official website if you want more info . www.strömsholmskanal.se

the main reason that the channel was built was to make it easier to transport steel and iron to the export harbour that was stockholm at that time .
almost all steel and iron that was produced here in sweden back then was produced in this region of the country . not to mention all timber and coal
also all copper that was produced in the falu copper mine approximately 45 miles from here needed an easy way to transport it to stockholm .
so this channel was extremely important for the countries financials

so tomorrow me and Mr Mörkö jr got a lot of touristing to do  8)

I got to thank you Gary that you gave birth to this lovely young man , hope the labours wasnt too painful  ;D
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #381 on: July 09, 2010, 12:13:36 PM »
Is carrying Morko around considered a concealed weapon?
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #382 on: July 09, 2010, 12:42:31 PM »
Does that make you his Stepfather Dan ? 
Scottish by birth and by heart.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #383 on: July 09, 2010, 12:59:23 PM »
good deal ! ;D

I am interested in if Morko has a chamber as some of the other handgonnes ?

You are welcome ..... they are chatty little things , I think Tim talks to his 38' .

I talk to them all ......

Gary

Offline Spuddy

• Contributor
« Reply #384 on: July 09, 2010, 04:12:21 PM »
good deal ! ;D

I am interested in if Morko has a chamber as some of the other handgonnes ?

You are welcome ..... they are chatty little things , I think Tim talks to his 38' .

I talk to them all ......

Gary

;D

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #385 on: July 11, 2010, 01:01:33 AM »
zulu
here in sweden we  MUST  carry any weapon concealed , we are not alloved to carry them visible

ok its just a few of us who got the right to carry them at all .

sorry thomas
I dont got any such famous relatives , Im just a tourist guide  ;D  unpayed  :'(

I will gather as much info as possible gary

yesterday me and my famous guest visited the harbour and looked at all the steam boats and miniature steam engines there

here you can see mr Mörkö when he was inspecting an horisontal steam engine ,
he is very interested in modern technology  ::)

we had 34 degrees celsius in the shadow yesterday  (93,2 F), 46 in the sun (114,8 F)
havent had such an hot day in july since 1984 they said on the radio
so mr Mörkö was way to tired after all the day in the sun to have a drink and some barbeque
so I got to have my cold rom and pepsi by myself while watching the meat
he prefered the airconditioned inside  ;D
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline Spuddy

• Contributor
« Reply #386 on: July 11, 2010, 02:03:27 AM »
Mr Morko meets Mr Stuart.

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #387 on: July 11, 2010, 07:35:33 AM »
yes , and they had a very long interesting technical conversation , must have been at least 1 hour
I had another favorite among the steam engines , but mr Mörkö didnt think it was sophisticated enough
among the boats my favorite was the smallest one , it was a canoe with an outboard steam engine
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #388 on: July 11, 2010, 07:51:54 AM »
Dan,

Is that black strip on the fo'c'sle for mounting the bow chaser....or is that the stern-stern chaser?   ;D

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #389 on: July 11, 2010, 08:54:45 AM »
think it was to hold the mortar in position  ;D
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry