Author Topic: new bronze  (Read 48313 times)

Offline dan610324

• Trade Count: (0)
  • bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
Re: new bronze
« Reply #420 on: July 20, 2010, 04:11:09 PM »
more pic
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #421 on: July 20, 2010, 04:16:00 PM »
more pic
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #422 on: July 20, 2010, 04:18:18 PM »
more pic
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #423 on: July 20, 2010, 04:48:18 PM »
This is about the coolest thing we have had on this board for a long time!!!!

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #424 on: July 20, 2010, 04:52:43 PM »
Dan,
You're the MAN! 8)
Tell us about it.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #425 on: July 20, 2010, 04:59:22 PM »
I am smitten .

Honestly Dan I am nearly numb right now . Which one did you leave with ?

Wow thats about I can say right now . 
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #426 on: July 20, 2010, 05:56:49 PM »
 :o

That's totally awesome!

Sure, I can see some differences, but considering you never had even seen it in person, these are amazingly close reproductions, Gary!

Dan, please tell us about the experience, and any comments the curator had about it as well!

Offline Double D

« Reply #427 on: July 20, 2010, 06:15:08 PM »
Normally when some one post a pictures of a new cannon that  I like I award that picture a kewpie.

This kewpie is being awarded for a project and for the folks involved in it; Dan and Gary!!!  And if there are those involved in the background I don't know about, it is for you also! 

Congratulations Guys for a job way more than well done!!!   

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #428 on: July 20, 2010, 10:36:06 PM »
Gary , I think you've made a massive contribution to the forum , from studying your subject...mastering the techniques...even re-building the equipment. An enormous learning curve. You deserve every bit of the praise you are getting. 
Damn Swede , how you managed to get such access to the original is beyond me.You should be employed by the Swedish Diplomatic Corps. I can only give you the highest Scottish award...Dan you are a SNEAKY SCANDINAVIAN. 
Scottish by birth and by heart.

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #429 on: July 21, 2010, 12:10:02 AM »
first of all I got to say that it was a great experiance , without the copy I would probably never had the posibility to hold the real thing in my hands .
I dont think that they usually let people touch one of the oldest gonnes in the world  ;D
mr mörkö junior also had the posibility to meet the oldest known gun in the world , the loshult cannon .
but I only got high resolution pictures from that brief meeting so I cant post them here .

the pictures you have seen here are from the first 25 I took in a lower resolution , got approximately 50 others also in high resolution but unfortunately I cant resize them to show here on the board .

the curator was one of the nicest people I ever have met and she really know what she was talking about .

it all started with a very bad nights sleep ( just 3 hours )
I arrived at the museum approximately 11 30 am and met charlotte in the lobby at the employe entrance
then we went down to the basement behind lots of closed heavy steel doors we entered a special room they have for scientists that would like to examine any items they have in the museum

THERE HE WAS

Mr Mörkö himself

as it was the first time they met I let them had a short private chat first and then the photo session started
the old man was very tired after that so we let him rest while we others leaved upstairs again for the exhibitions .
there we met the oldest known cannon in the world ( the loshult cannon )
loshult is probably made somewhere in between 1320 and 1330 , so its estimated to be approximately 40 years older than the mörkö cannon .

what surprised me most of all was that the mörkö cannon had such an large bore and the lack of a powder chamber

after the work was done all 3 of us had a dinner ( or maybe it was an very late lunch  ;D ) at the army museums restaurant thats only 2 blocks away . we had lots of very interesting discussions during a very long "lunch hour" or what to call it  ;D
when the eating was finished we was back to the museum again .

ther I had the opportunity to see the GOLD ROOM
IT CONTAINS ALMOS ALL TREASURES THAT HAVE BEEN FOUND IN SWEDEN
its approximately 50 lbs of pure gold items and 500 lbs of silver items
oldest dated to approximately 2000 years before christ

I must confess that I asked Charlotte to look in another direction when we leaved the examination room
she just laughed and reminded me that junior is clearly marked as manufactured in 2010  ;D
so I left with the same mörkö as I had with me when I arrived  :'(

this was an totally awesome day

Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #430 on: July 21, 2010, 12:56:00 AM »
The bore size surprised me as well.  The hexagonal socket didn't - I completely expected that - and think it's quite possible the original shaft was simple and hexagonal the whole way, unlike mine.  Lathes were a lot harder to come by and were much cruder at the time, so it would have been harder to make the shaft round than hexagon.

Certainly sounds like a great day! :D

As for posting the other pictures, you can use a photo hosting site like www.photobucket.com, which can automatically resize the pictures, or you can resize them for uploading here on your computer using a number of applications.  Another option, you can email them to myself or someone else here, who can do that for you.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #431 on: July 21, 2010, 02:09:03 AM »
 Dang! I feel like mine should go into the safe, only to be removed for viewing once in a while like the Shroud of Turin.  :)

Thanks guys. Such a cool connection to history!

Now about that lion mortar, Gary...........
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #432 on: July 21, 2010, 02:57:25 AM »
The bore size surprised me as well.  The hexagonal socket didn't - I completely expected that - and think it's quite possible the original shaft was simple and hexagonal the whole way, unlike mine.  Lathes were a lot harder to come by and were much cruder at the time, so it would have been harder to make the shaft round than hexagon.

Certainly sounds like a great day! :D

As for posting the other pictures, you can use a photo hosting site like www.photobucket.com, which can automatically resize the pictures, or you can resize them for uploading here on your computer using a number of applications.  Another option, you can email them to myself or someone else here, who can do that for you.

Dan,
Photobucket is the way to go.  Very easy and accepts high resolution pictures just fine.  And its free. ;D
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #433 on: July 21, 2010, 06:10:41 AM »
Thanks Dan !  ;D

We got a Kewpie !  8)

I can't wait to get some enlargments and frame them !

Gary

Thank you guys for the kind words .

And Thanks to this site as well . None of this would have happened without it .
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Double D

« Reply #434 on: July 21, 2010, 06:31:55 AM »
Dan has sent me the rest of the pictures and I am formatting them so he can post!!!!  If you think about what you are looking at you will understand Gary's creation has been taken very seriously by professionals.  What a compliment....blush Marine!

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #435 on: July 21, 2010, 07:03:28 AM »
a few more
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #436 on: July 21, 2010, 07:06:51 AM »
more
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #437 on: July 21, 2010, 07:14:03 AM »
Does anyone know what the writing says?  Is it even writing?
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #438 on: July 21, 2010, 07:26:51 AM »
sorry guys , I did something wrong when I copied this above pictures from DD:s mail so they shrunk more then neccesary  :-[

now Im looking through the originals again to see how many of them that are smaller than 2 gb
all who are will come here one and one in full size
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #439 on: July 21, 2010, 07:36:02 AM »
yes it sure is writing
the most recent opinion is that it is an misunderstand phrase from the prayer ave maria
but back then it wasnt many who could read and write correct , most probably not even the noble men or priest could do it correct
so the spelling in old hand writing that I have read is a little so so

I think the founder got a note from the one who ordered the barrel with something written on it , but most probably the founder couldnt read or write
so he had to try to copy each sign without knowing the meaning of them
thats probably one of the reasons why its a bit difficult to understand
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #440 on: July 21, 2010, 07:38:02 AM »
Does anyone know what the writing says?  Is it even writing?
Zulu

I understand it is the Catholic prayer Ave Marria ... interestingly enough it is in Latin . So who knew latin in Sweden ? .... Priests and thats about it .

Apparently the man who made it didnt know latin himself as some letters are backward ! So he's proly seen it at one time or got a copy from a preist and just copied the letters (just shapes to him)?????

If you were to look at one of my Morkos you would see alot of copied letters (shapes to me) .

These are the best pics ever published of it .

Gary

ETA I agree with Dan  8)  8)

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #441 on: July 21, 2010, 08:12:16 AM »
the size limit for pictures here is 2 mb ( 2048 kb )
now I tried several times to add pictures here below 2 mb but just get a message that the file is too large

WHY  ?? 

last was 1,88 mb
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline Double D

« Reply #442 on: July 21, 2010, 09:04:14 AM »
the size limit for pictures here is 2 mb ( 2048 kb )
now I tried several times to add pictures here below 2 mb but just get a message that the file is too large

WHY  ?? 

last was 1,88 mb

The is no advantage to uploading photo's that high in resolution to the internet.  72 dpi is all the higher you need and the software here is going to resize them anyway.

Here is a link to the Photo's Dan sent me Morko  Click on the picture that comes up and the click

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #443 on: July 21, 2010, 11:15:55 AM »
thanks DD
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #444 on: July 21, 2010, 11:46:27 AM »
Rocklock,
I have been thinking about Morko.  What you have done goes beyond artwork.  What you have done is historical.  You have put new life into a gonne that most people have forgotten about.  I bet they are talking about it in that museum. :o 
You know, sometimes when I'm sitting around being "Zulu Big Head", I like to think of myself as an artist.  Well, you are not an artist until someone "else" thinks you're an artist.  You, my friend, are an artist.
Congratulations.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #445 on: July 21, 2010, 01:25:26 PM »
Thanks Zulu ! I agree inspite of being pretentious . While I was making that positive ,and scribing these tiny little lines one artist kept haunting me .

The artist I couldn't get out of my head ....and still can't really is the image of a man making this thing 600 hundered years ago . In the dark by lamp lite and sitting all night while the investment cured and the beeswax and chaffe that made up your positive melted out of the investment .

Then in the heat of the day the man would be ready to pour and ....with god and some luck and two conscripts ...something useable is created . This is how a living would be made .....

I'd be sighting down it or scribing it and a wierd kinda feeling would kinda hit me ....a man did this very same thing ....along time ago .

Looking foward to seeing you . I thought about bringing  a morko to show . The only thing is I'm trying to be carry on only coming home . I may have to mail it home ...?

Gary

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #446 on: July 21, 2010, 01:36:42 PM »
Maybe you could just leave it with me. ;D  Bring your camera.  There's a lot to see here.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #447 on: July 21, 2010, 01:52:37 PM »
He's been an artist for a while now.  I know I've been saying it for quite some time... ;D

Thanks for hosting the pictures DD, though i disagree about your comment regarding image size.  To get the general gist of an image, those sizes are fine, but if you really want to look at details, the larger the image the better.  Obviously the best way to deal with this on a forum is to have a linked image, so those with slower connections or low res monitors don't have to see the higher resolution pictures.  BTW, if anyone is trying to figure out how to get around the copy protection on the fototime site, it can be done pretty easily, though I won't post how.

Dan - obviously the original bore is much larger than what Gary's been using, but do you know the actual dimension of it?  I'm just curious, not planning on boring out mine.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #448 on: July 21, 2010, 01:57:07 PM »
Gulfcoast In the book I've been seeing Morko in for years lists the caliber at .62 .

I think it must be bigger as I bored mine to .625 .

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #449 on: July 21, 2010, 02:00:25 PM »
It seems like it may be a bit bigger than the .62 I've seen before, which is why I was wondering if Dan measured it.

You may be able to keep the Morko in your carryon by claiming it's a statue...then again...I wouldn't try it.