Author Topic: new bronze  (Read 48301 times)

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: new bronze
« Reply #480 on: August 01, 2010, 12:34:13 PM »
Thinking of Trijicon?

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/us-military-weapons-inscribed-secret-jesus-bible-codes/story?id=9575794

They were using scripture references as part of their serial numbers, which caused a big issue a few months ago.

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #481 on: August 01, 2010, 01:30:59 PM »
thats nice to hear
but in 1370 the optic sights wasnt invented yet , so the maker decide to use the eyes of jesus instead to aim the gun  ;D
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #482 on: August 01, 2010, 10:19:13 PM »
That is very possible Dan , this would have been an important piece when it was made.
Scottish by birth and by heart.

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #483 on: August 02, 2010, 02:12:04 AM »
yeah , anything using powder as the propellant was the top of the art back then
most soldiers had bows , swords and spears
some had crossbows , but also the crossbows was very exclusive and only a few had them
here in the area where I live ( Dalarna )  the crossbows actually was used for hunting among common men until the middle of the 19th century
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #484 on: August 02, 2010, 05:52:35 AM »
Still used in many areas of Scotland Dan , a very discreet and accurate sheep removal tool. Old habits never really die.

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #485 on: August 02, 2010, 08:44:54 AM »
a modern crossbow is a superb hunting weapon
precission and penetration almost in class with modern high power rifles
and quiet  ;D  cant be much better
unfortunately they are illegal in sweden  :'(
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline nematode

• Avid Poster
« Reply #486 on: August 06, 2010, 08:04:37 AM »
RockLock - those are outstanding pieces. I'm wondering how a replica can be made for something for which there is no model or record that it ever existed? How do you know what it looked like?

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #487 on: August 06, 2010, 08:12:58 AM »
Dan in Sweden sent me some pictures , they were the best I'd seen at the time . After that I learned what the over all length was .

Then it was clay and my hands ,the only tools used were little scribes for inscribing the text and face .

Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #488 on: August 17, 2010, 11:35:36 AM »
Here is the next one  ;)

It's a little odd , a 1" bore underlug Howie .

There will be two . I get one and I am going to swap one with ScottieTom , he gets a gun and I get carriage with hand made wheels and lots of ironwork .

Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline nematode

• Avid Poster
« Reply #489 on: August 17, 2010, 11:47:44 AM »
Another fine looking piece Gary - appears I have not been deleted from the forum yet (ducking) but let's see if I can get a comment without breaking a rule... After watching the video or looking at your photos showing the bore milling process on your other cannon, I have a question - are you casting these solid and milling the entire bore or casting with a roughed in bore and milling to perfect it?

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #490 on: August 17, 2010, 12:07:33 PM »
Cast solid , then bored . Casting with the bore in place is not too good an idea , but they did it very early on .

Impuruties go to the center of the cast barrel . Casting verticly causes the impurites to go to the center line of the barrel . Also impurities rise so that your best metal is at the bottom , where the breech is .

Then the impurities in the center are bored out all together . If you cast the bore in place the impurities try to go to the center ....which IS the barrel wall thickness . Plus there are rods involved to hold the bore in place B4 it's cast and it leaves iron bore supporting bits in the bronze barrel .

Gary

Offline nematode

• Avid Poster
« Reply #491 on: August 17, 2010, 12:17:45 PM »
Interesting - thanks Gary!

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #492 on: August 17, 2010, 12:45:39 PM »
Interesting - thanks Gary!

I don't know, Skip77, that's a pretty controversial statement. ::)
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline nematode

• Avid Poster
« Reply #493 on: August 17, 2010, 12:49:59 PM »
Hilarious Zulu - thanks :)

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #494 on: August 17, 2010, 01:22:20 PM »
Nice design Gary!  Reduced powder chamber @1/3"?  What's the OAL going to be?  I do love howies and dolphins! ;D

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #495 on: August 17, 2010, 11:12:16 PM »
thanks Gary.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #496 on: August 18, 2010, 12:23:47 PM »
The underlug was made and added today

Lug off .

Lug on .

Nice little dolfins next and off to the casters .  ;D

Gary

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #497 on: August 18, 2010, 12:35:30 PM »
The joint looks kind of porous; I assume it is not.  It shouldn't be.

I gather you have given up on casting these yourself?
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #498 on: August 18, 2010, 01:01:15 PM »
I made some dolphines

I can't compete with the caster .

The joint is very solid it just has a little sute on it from my smoky lamp .

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #499 on: August 19, 2010, 12:34:32 AM »
Somehow you have managed to endow what can be squat , dumpy barrels ( Howies ) with pure Elegance. Those slim dolphins are perfection Muskie. When I saw the original drawing I thought it needed a lot of decoration...not now...it's getting real difficult to keep calling you a barrel basher. How good do I think it is ? You know I've seen some amazing castings............in Artistic terms...I put it on a level with this..............................

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #500 on: August 19, 2010, 06:26:26 AM »
Post 500 ! ;D

That barrel is kinda ...disturbing . It has a Dantes Inferno look to it .

Thats Tom

Gary

Do you have the wheel that goes with it ?

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #501 on: August 19, 2010, 09:14:01 AM »
you said you had no interest in that cannon..............or the old guns I spent my time on photographing for you.............with a very bored dragon giving off smoke , sat in a corner...........last week. Now you want a look at the wheels !!!!!!!!!!!grrrrrrr.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #502 on: August 19, 2010, 09:22:22 AM »
Thanks Tom that carriage will look really sweet with these underlug howies . ;D

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #503 on: August 19, 2010, 11:28:22 AM »
Country of origin?  Russian?
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #504 on: August 19, 2010, 12:11:48 PM »
the Scottish submarine fleet is on station for the next Colorado cutthroats cruise , that carriage would look ridiculous under the Howie.You ain't forgiven yet Captain Pugwash. How was I to know you were going to pull that beautifull classic barrel from the original drawing , it's back to the thinking board for me.Damn barrel flows like water.............stay outa my hair for a week............or else. Remember the big fat guy in the movie............sailboat coming into the harbour................if the tinfish misses..............................cigarette is for scale...I need this to make Howie wheels.............smirk.  no more clues.

Offline Spuddy

• Contributor
« Reply #505 on: August 19, 2010, 12:34:28 PM »
the Scottish submarine fleet is on station for the next Colorado cutthroats cruise , that carriage would look ridiculous under the Howie.You ain't forgiven yet Captain Pugwash. How was I to know you were going to pull that beautifull classic barrel from the original drawing , it's back to the thinking board for me.Damn barrel flows like water.............stay outa my hair for a week............or else. Remember the big fat guy in the movie............sailboat coming into the harbour................if the tinfish misses..............................cigarette is for scale...I need this to make Howie wheels.............smirk.  no more clues.

Looks like a staking tool in the background.

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #506 on: August 19, 2010, 05:53:31 PM »
you said you had no interest in that cannon..............or the old guns I spent my time on photographing for you.............with a very bored dragon giving off smoke , sat in a corner...........last week. Now you want a look at the wheels !!!!!!!!!!!grrrrrrr.
Happen to have any pictures of those wheellocks in the case behind that gun?  I'm a sucker for wheelies.  Where is that?  Seems like a nice museum.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #507 on: August 19, 2010, 07:00:56 PM »

MOT (dubbing , in code now)

well that would be because I said that I would .

Are you speaking of the nutjob with a chainsaw ? The guy that decides to chainsaw the boat from below ....to bits ?

Scottish submarine fleet . In Union Resivour in Longmont Colorado ?

Tom (MOT) You are NOT authorized to speak of 'ScottsopsMac DIVCON Icorps' in the union reseviour . The 'fleet'  you refer to is  a completly unfounded rumer .

It does NOT surface for air every night ! As it is compleatly self sufficiant in 'crawdad mode . Not the outdated caterpillar death machines mode!

Tom ! do not say squat about the crawdads in Union Resivour ! Not kidding , dont make me reveal the dragon/ crawdad conection !

YRAG  (your western handler)

the walls have ears 

ETA , MOT ,I knew Capt Pugwash he was a freind of mine ,       I sir , am no Capt. Pugwash !

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #508 on: August 19, 2010, 11:52:42 PM »
It is spuddy , comes in real handy on thin sheet brass , copper , and annealed mild steel. I don't have machining skills so gotta use what the Good Lord gave me.........hands . O !  and hammers ,tinsnips , vice. Just don't be telling the Colorado rodent .
 Loch Ness is deep...bottomless some say ..  Nessie has been spying out new territory for a long time , think of all those tourist dollars -yen-euros. Headlines...Loch Ness monster spotted in Longmont....or....Scots launch submarine strike on Longmont.....rendition of american tourists , illegal expulsions suspected. Loud shirts...baggy shorts...and white ankle socks suspected motive.
 Gulf is Wallace collection , city centre London..was a private collection   free entry   Insane amount of arms and armour   take about 3 visits to soak it in.........better lighting than most but still awkward...no flash allowed    Scotsmen allowed occasional confusion with camera settings (smirk)  didn't have time to pick out too many individual guns  was mostly interested in the cannon.

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #509 on: August 20, 2010, 12:06:27 AM »
Info sheet on the cannon............