Author Topic: new bronze  (Read 48264 times)

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Re: new bronze
« Reply #690 on: July 16, 2011, 06:04:55 AM »
I'd like to thank Gary for answering my PM Questions reguarding his copy of a 2lber VOC cannon cast in 1660 in Batavia (tinnian Island  iirc), which is the stunning center tube in the opening photo of this thread.  After a bunch of reading, I found the description in his earlier thread and am dropping the link below for others like me who came late to the party.   

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,203722.msg1099060940.html

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #691 on: July 17, 2011, 09:07:31 AM »
I'm looking forward to seeing that Thunder Mug in bronze!  Planning to add a priming pan in addition to the handle?

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #692 on: July 17, 2011, 02:54:57 PM »
Yes GC it will have a vent piece . see below  8)

Here is the mug ready to be bored , Many thanks to Mike for making an extention tool for the drill and general help with this thing ! ;D  .

The handle has been redesigned .

here is a vent piece .
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Spuddy

• Contributor
« Reply #693 on: July 17, 2011, 03:31:13 PM »
Gary,
You have my attention again.  I am looking forward to watching this develop.  I am also interested in the proof testing and results.
Tim

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #694 on: July 19, 2011, 04:59:17 PM »
Some Days you are the windshield and some days you are the bug ......yesterday was a supreme bug day . ??? 

Stupidity at the mill compounded by a quote that was 3x's PLUS outside my outter limit for the casting job. They are the best in Co. and agreed to expidite my first order so that was pretty good .

This will allow me to bring it to Cut Bank in Aug. BUT when I heard the quote ....well ,my wife Deanna says I looked like I had a minor stroke .... Jezz what a friggin day ....!!

Here I am a happy clam finishing some work on the mug , one hour later ....yep ....I had a stroke .

Today was much better as the Seacoast guys my wife ,and I went to famous Daves for lunch .
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #695 on: July 28, 2011, 08:50:15 PM »
This is a gun I am turning for the owner of the bronze casting place where my Thunder Mug
(The Heaven Shaker ;D ) is being cast.

When I told him of firecracker guns ....he had to have one . Plus he said if I give him and his employee's a demo of the bronze GB mortar he's take some bucks off too....so we'll see .
Gary

Offline Double D

• SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #696 on: July 31, 2011, 07:58:32 AM »
Gary,

Looking good.

Do you realize that this post is in the top ten  post on all of GBO for replies!  People like this post.  Keep on  telling us about you adventures in bronze

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #697 on: July 31, 2011, 03:02:46 PM »
Here is what I've been on for the last couple days , this is the drawing I worked from .

Today the carriage got underway ,shown with it print/sketch. It shows my alignment with drill bits and a tranfer punch to locate the floor of the carriage . It is made of the same cherry blank that Morko got for a tiller

Another veiw

next will be finish the carraige put in the trunions ,and vent  ;D
Gary

Offline DaveSB

• Avid Poster
« Reply #698 on: July 31, 2011, 07:26:48 PM »
nice work!! Can't wait to see the finished carriage with cannon mounted.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #699 on: August 02, 2011, 03:03:16 PM »
Today I made some more progress ,with Mikes help as I managed to let the brass grab an end mill and suck it into the brass which stalled the mill ! and broke the end mill :'(  . We got it finished with a boring bar.

And a touchhole with vent field . Tommorow I will get the trunions seated and finish the carriage . I'v got about 12 -13 hrs and 25 bucks in the brass into it now . Now 35 more dollars for a new end mill.

I want to get this done as I have a new bronze project to do . ;)

Gary

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #700 on: August 02, 2011, 03:07:52 PM »
from Gary
I want to get this done as I have a new bronze project to do . ;)

I know.  the secret is out.  You are DD's secret professional wax carver. ;D
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #701 on: August 03, 2011, 02:44:49 PM »
Today went well I got the trunions seated and the carriage is finishing up .

The carriage is at MT's drying

Today the caster called me and said the thunder mug (Heaven Shaker) was ready !!! ;D  I'll go get it tomorrow . I'll stop of at the hospital on the way to see what the going rates are for various bodly fluids  :o  so I can get her out of hock .

It may take awhile to get her finished up in time for MT. shoot ????

Gary

Offline Double D

« Reply #702 on: August 03, 2011, 04:52:17 PM »
What Color is the carriage going to be. 

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #703 on: August 04, 2011, 01:06:58 PM »
DD it will be natural cherry  8)  . I am not going to paint cherry wood .

HOLY HEAVAN SHAKERS !

I picked up the Thunder Mug today !
Here she is

It wieghts some 60 lbs !!! It will get lighter with bore and about 2-3 inches shorter on bottom .

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #704 on: August 04, 2011, 01:17:41 PM »
Nice!  I'm looking forward to seeing it finished up!

That little cannon looks good too!  I think Cherry looks good with bronze, though I'd probably stain it.

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #705 on: August 06, 2011, 01:50:58 PM »
Gary,
      It sure looked nice when you left the Seacoast shop today; will we be seeing a photo sometime before we all retire?

Tracy

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #706 on: August 06, 2011, 02:40:27 PM »
Gulfcoast ,yes I will proly stain it with a tiny bit of Chestnut Ridge .

Zulu , DD's profestional wax carver ? I am going to turn a cohorn mortar for DD but professional ...... not yet  :o

Today was trying ! VERY trying ,this thunder mug project is mountumental . In fact it has pushed Seacoasts Artilleries equipment to it's limits. It also pushed Mike close to his !!! ;D

Today he saved the day ! He came up with many solutions to problems that kept coming up for the last two days . I am going to make more thunder mugs , but never one like this ! 8)

Here is todays pics ...

Here is the mug being supported by tapered boards so it does fall on the ways . The steady rest is going on

This is the boring bar doing it's thing . This is after steping it up several times to 3/4"
We bored it to 1.030"

The next two are of the set up for the touch hole .

This top one shows the 1.03" bore . I know it looks like I am all over this 3 to 1 rule ;D  I am .

Mikes is enjoying a nice cold one after this .... project !

It now has to have about an inch milled off the bottom . To get rid of that visable galling from my first wax carving attempt with this wax , plus it will take another 10 lbs off !

I have been following the 'noise level' thread and have decided based on what Dom said that I will start with the 1" ,as I dont' want to have to use a hatfull of powder  :o

I can bore it out more if nessesary but with Kieths explaination in the other thread along with others it's 1.03" bore for now ... ;)

Gary

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #707 on: August 31, 2011, 12:42:25 PM »
Here is a new piece I am working on . It is an updated version of my first linstock . I think it looks much better .
Here it is just getting started

After some making.

getting close

There is now a reinforce around the base with decorations ,but it does not photo well .

Soon   Gary

Offline Double D

« Reply #708 on: August 31, 2011, 12:55:04 PM »
I like this one better since the socket is more in-proportion

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #709 on: August 31, 2011, 01:19:40 PM »
I like it better, too.  It appears to have a few wavy lines to clean up before casting it, but it's looking good so far!  Making a butt piece/ground spike to match?

Offline Spuddy

• Contributor
« Reply #710 on: August 31, 2011, 04:08:47 PM »
This is cool Gary. I don't have a linstock yet, when I get one I want one of yours.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #711 on: September 01, 2011, 02:42:35 PM »
I like it better, too.  It appears to have a few wavy lines to clean up before casting it, but it's looking good so far!  Making a butt piece/ground spike to match?

Well sure ......now that you mention it ,it will have a tail spike !
It will always have a few wavy lines . It is made totaly by hand ,actualy pressing pieces together and forming them into one another when the wax becomes soft from the heat from my hands .....wavy lines dude ;D

IM me anytime Tim

Gary

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #712 on: September 30, 2011, 05:06:22 PM »
This is an update of Asron87 and Beltbuckle81 's Linstock .
I'll be taking it to the foundery this week .

This one does say Beltbuckle81 the lighting makes it look like87

yes my stamping is not too good :o  I spelled it all right with no upside down letters ???

I am hoping this may help them on their way to becoming New Blood for our community.
Thanks to Mike and Tracy and a freind Bruce for loaning me stamps .
Gary

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #713 on: January 26, 2013, 06:54:55 AM »
I am going to recall my "New Bronze" thread ,a red warning box suggested I start a new thread but we'll see .

Anyway there has been a new arrival to introduce ! IT IS Smee #2  8)

Here he is with his daddy . Number 2 (JR) is much better than the first one . He will be firecracker bore and have a sled mount .

More coming soon..ish  ;)

Gary

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #714 on: January 26, 2013, 08:19:01 AM »
Thanks for posting your recent progress! Looks good...glad to see your still at the carving and casting, your work is excellent!
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline de_lok

• Contributor
  • ICW
    • My Photo Album
« Reply #715 on: January 27, 2013, 05:58:50 AM »
Gary,

I have read this entire thread today with excitement! I am glad to see you making such fine "works of art". There are many craftsmen in this group that produce amazing results in this hobby, but few are both true artist and craftsmen. A craftsman is someone who applies a learned skill, but an artist is in the heart, you either have it or you don't, and you my friend definitely have it! I look forward to seeing more of your work in the future. Thankyou for taking an interest in my Remember the Maine signal cannon project, I look forward to sharing my experience with lost wax mold making with you and this group................. ;D

Dewayne

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #716 on: January 27, 2013, 12:58:01 PM »
Well Smee #1 is done I will make a carriage for it and it will be ready to shoot . He is on my
Sled from my personal pre production Smee .

It has a funnel or blunderbuss type bore for EZ loading ;)

These will be wire wheeled to the finish shown .

I have a few more at the foundery now !

Thank you De_lok and BoomLover for compliments .

Gary

Offline Androclese

« Reply #717 on: January 28, 2013, 11:34:36 AM »
What are the approx. dimensions of this piece?
Well Smee #1 is done I will make a carriage for it and it will be ready to shoot . He is on my
Sled from my personal pre production Smee .

It has a funnel or blunderbuss type bore for EZ loading ;)

These will be wire wheeled to the finish shown .

I have a few more at the foundery now !

Thank you De_lok and BoomLover for compliments .

Gary

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #718 on: January 28, 2013, 01:38:59 PM »
Smee is 1.75" at the muzzle flare . He is 2.75" long . A mighty beast all in all  ;D  He will launch a factory round @ 20' or so and then ROCK the ground with a BLAST from a firecracker  8)

Nearly as wide as long
Gary

Offline de_lok

• Contributor
  • ICW
    • My Photo Album
« Reply #719 on: February 02, 2013, 07:46:42 PM »
Gary,
When I ran across this I thought of you ;D . Now this would be a fun project! Here is a pic and the link to their website...................

Dewayne

http://dniewcollectors.blogspot.com/2012/11/brunei-cannon.html