Author Topic: new bronze  (Read 48248 times)

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
Re: new bronze
« Reply #720 on: February 03, 2013, 08:04:58 AM »
Dewayne I seen these typs of guns , Kinda wierd ,sort of cool ;D  and very odd !

I am going to make the Lion mortar from India .

Cman can you tell me where Batavia is ? That is where my repo VOC gun was cast . I believe it is now Tinnian island ....
Gary

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #721 on: February 03, 2013, 09:10:28 AM »
Batavia is now Jakarta on the island of Java in Indonesia.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #722 on: February 03, 2013, 09:12:16 AM »
Batavia is now Jakarta on the island of Java in Indonesia.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #723 on: February 03, 2013, 01:11:14 PM »

I am going to make the Lion mortar from India .

Wait... What? Can you make me one? When will it be ready? Where do I send payment?  ;D
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #724 on: February 03, 2013, 06:16:11 PM »
     Not so fast, Victor3.  I've had an order in for one of those Tiger Cannons, actually a tiger mortar for quite some time now.  It's a tiger, not a lion and it's sculptured image is a part of the Sultan Tipu's artillery, because he was commonly known as the Tiger of Mysore, a region he ruled in southern India and adopted this animal as a symbol of his rule until he was killed in Battle in 1799 at the end of the fourth Anglo-Mysore War.  Now I like the Tiger Cannon featured prominently in paintings of the 3rd and 4th wars and shown in the Wiki segment on Tipu Sultan, linked here:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipu_Sultan

After the conclusion of the 4th war, the Scots in India learned of the wonders of Tipu Sultan's armories and bronze foundries which are detailed here:  http://www.tigerandthistle.net/tiger116.htm

Gary, I/m changing my order to One Replica, Sultan of Mysore, Bronze Tiger Cannon with all details shown in the following photo by John Hill  of a Tiger Cannon used in the battle of Seringapatam by Tippu Sultan's forces in 1799, flanked by two Tiger Mortars of the same scale, suitable for display in my new office at Seacoast World Headquarters in Colorado, USA, say......1/2 scale.  Gary, Victor is anxious, which means you need to get working on my "Sultan" guns,  chop - chop.  After all, we don't want to keep Victor waiting now do we?

Tracy

Ain't she beautiful?     Photo by Robert Hill shown in this site:  http://en.wikipedia.org /wiki/Tipu_Sultan

Click image for a fantastic, larger view.

A note on the carriage.  This iron garrison carriage is the product of the East India Company's Gun Foundry at Cossipore, a suburb of Calcutta.  It was made during that time around 1848 when Captain Arthur Broome of the Bengal Artillery was in charge of the foundry. 

A close-up of the trunnion face, tiger head.  Photo attributed to Anne Buddle, Ref.:  http://www.tigerandthistle.net/tiger116.htm

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #725 on: February 03, 2013, 09:03:44 PM »
Looks like the carriage trunnion grooves are a little undersized.

Do the paintings show the 1799 carriage?
GG
--Winston Churchill

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #726 on: February 03, 2013, 09:50:54 PM »

Looks like the carriage trunnion grooves are a little undersized.

Do the paintings show the 1799 carriage?   

Yes, I noticed that, but thought that 200+ years would have seen a succession of carriages.  At least this one is from a foundry which produced artillery carriages from the early 1800s.  There is only one painting that we know of which shows the gun and carriage in 1799 and you can't really see too much having to do with trunnion fit in it.  See below. Ref: Tiger and Thistle site mentioned before.  Painting is from the collection of Robert Wigington and used in the Tiger and Thistle site courtesy of the National Galleries of Scotland.  You can see that there is also a tiger face on the cascabel!

The Storming of Seringapatam in 1799

Engraving

A. CARDON AND L. SCHIAVONETTi

Details about the Tiger Cannon:

Tipu Cannon, one of a pair

Bronze, with green patination; cast and chased, with tiger-head muzzle, trunnions and cascabel button.

Seringapatam 1219 M = 1790-01 A.D.

Length 164.5; breech 20.3 cm; bore diam. 6.9

Displayed at Powis Castle, Welshpool, the property of the National Trust.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #727 on: February 04, 2013, 01:32:42 AM »
     Not so fast, Victor3.  I've had an order in for one of those Tiger Cannons, actually a tiger mortar for quite some time now.  It's a tiger, not a lion

No way Jose.... Gary clearly said lion, and if you'll kindly go back a few pages you'll plainly see that I requested one in post #189, and your post mentioning it is #190.

Yessirree, all nice and legal, tied up with a bow. Stick THAT it your pipe and "sniff the morning cool." I'm sure Gary will be glad to make you some kinda lion or tiger or bear (oh my!) thingie at a later date...

:P ;D
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #728 on: February 04, 2013, 03:49:52 AM »
Touche! Point to Victor!

Offline de_lok

• Contributor
  • ICW
    • My Photo Album
« Reply #729 on: February 04, 2013, 04:21:14 AM »
The only difference between men and boys, are the price tag of their TOYS ! ! ! ha ha ha................. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #730 on: February 04, 2013, 05:28:31 AM »
     Not so fast, Victor3.  I've had an order in for one of those Tiger Cannons, actually a tiger mortar for quite some time now.  It's a tiger, not a lion

No way Jose.... Gary clearly said lion, and if you'll kindly go back a few pages you'll plainly see that I requested one in post #189, and your post mentioning it is #190.

Yessirree, all nice and legal, tied up with a bow. Stick THAT it your pipe and "sniff the morning cool." I'm sure Gary will be glad to make you some kinda lion or tiger or bear (oh my!) thingie at a later date...

:P ;D

"I will win ,my lawyer will win, and your lawyer will win ,BUT YOU will lose !"

"stick that in your pipe and sniff the cool air"
Priceless  ;D .

That was a good one Vic3 ! I will definatly make the LION mortar and I will force people to ask for a LION MORTAR if they want one 8)  . You heard of the "soup nazi" right ? 

Gary

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #731 on: February 08, 2013, 02:29:45 AM »
Touche! Point to Victor!

Yeah but I'm getting worried, DD. No post from them in 4 days?

They're plotting something. I can feel it in me bones. For all we know, poor Gary may be tied up in the Seacoast Artillery bunker on bread and water...with a tiger-shaped blob of wax in his withered hands.

Sherlock Holmes

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #732 on: February 08, 2013, 03:57:40 PM »

No post from them in 4 days?

They're plotting something. I can feel it in me bones. For all we know, poor Gary may be tied up in the Seacoast Artillery bunker on bread and water...with a tiger-shaped blob of wax in his withered hands.   

Victor, Victor, ye of so little faith.  We hold no grudges.  We are very simple and trusting fellows.  He He.....tigers......Reeeally!  AND, Seacoast has no bunker as we remembertigersvery well what General Patton said about fixed fortifications.  Besides, we have been far too busy getting that lasttigersBrooke gun completed, the one we built on speculation for placement on one of the gun auction sites.  We have been busy getting ready for thetigersshuttering the shop temporarily to let the contractors build the 25' X 25' shop addition.  Tigers, lions, who cares; I've been busy with important matters like deciding which potted plants to ordertigersfor my new UPstairs  office and teaching my son's tiger cat how to play chess and other critical stuff like that.

I just finished reading A Passage to India in which the author mentions tigers frequently, but writes without any mention of lions at all, because they live in Africa and a few in Arabia, but not India!  Remember what Alfred E. Neuman said.

"What, me worry??" about tigers ?

Tracy

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #733 on: February 08, 2013, 09:28:07 PM »

Victor, Victor, ye of so little faith.  We hold no grudges.  We are very simple and trusting fellows.

Yeah, about like Joe Pesci's charater in Goodfellas.

You win, Tracy. I retract my bid and am sending the lawyers on their way. No hard feelings, eh pal? :-\

(Psst - PM me if you can escape, Gary!)

Sherlock Holmes

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
Re: new bronze Smee as Front Porch Artillery
« Reply #734 on: February 18, 2013, 05:44:13 AM »
A little goodie arrived in the mail and I thought I'd share with you. Thanks Gary!  There is a FPA video too, I am fighting with PhotoBucket to get it posted.
photo 077.jpg
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #735 on: February 18, 2013, 06:23:47 AM »
Did I hear someone is starting a line of "My Little Kitty" mortars?
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #736 on: February 19, 2013, 07:23:29 AM »
Yes I intend to make some LION mortars . I've already started making a positive ,but here is a question I am not aware of any standard 'ball' other than lead for ammo .

Golf ball size would too expensive . Fire cracker just doesn't  sound big enough .
I am open to suggestions ..... maybe the little round smoke bombs ?

LS I am glad you like it . Have you shot it ? What is an FPA video ? I hope you can get it to play .

several Smees and VOC guns being cast now  8) .

Gary

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #737 on: February 19, 2013, 08:56:42 PM »
Maybe about 1.075" for four ounce lead shot?
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #738 on: February 20, 2013, 01:26:01 AM »
Yes I intend to make some LION mortars . I've already started making a positive ,but here is a question I am not aware of any standard 'ball' other than lead for ammo .

Golf ball size would too expensive . Fire cracker just doesn't  sound big enough .
I am open to suggestions ..... maybe the little round smoke bombs ?

Gary

The little round smoke balls and the little green plastic balls filled with crackly-sound making stuff I've had both measured ~.950".

I'd really like a casting suitable for ~1" bore with a sub-chamber. I don't think I'd be shooting lead out of it but 1" would sure make for a substantial item that's not too big.

Sherlock Holmes

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
« Reply #739 on: February 20, 2013, 03:10:50 AM »
Gary, it is a Front Porch Artillery video and a pretty good one too. I have no idea why I can't get Photobucket to cough it up yet. Thank you for a great little mortar, it shoots very well.
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #740 on: February 20, 2013, 04:55:11 AM »
Sorry my brain is in a fog.  What Smees and VOC guns are you casting?  Sizes?  Are these also table top models?
Russ
several Smees and VOC guns being cast now  8) .
Gary

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #741 on: February 20, 2013, 08:20:40 AM »
First off Smee #1  of which Little  seacoast is the proud owner ! :D
Smee is a firecracker gun/mortar

Next here is the VOC gun

And here it is in "The Vissor Collection"

Hope this answers your question.
Gary

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #742 on: February 23, 2013, 07:38:44 PM »
Here are the beginings of my New Lion Mortar . It's looking good , and should end up as a nice ,..... no make that a 'Very Nice Piece'  8) .(inside joke from earlier in this thread)

Can anyone tell why there is an arrow of the muzzle ? Yep ! when making the head one side looked better on top so I marked it so I could keep things right side up  ??? . It is true ,these things are hard to keep oriented espeicaly when it's a bell shaped object symetrical like it is.

Another veiw

This one shows some scale. I hope to make this thing very detailed .

I posted these in progress pics for those interested.     and because I'm happy with it so far !

Gary

I do like Cmans idea of a base fixed to the lions feet ......differant thread.

Thank you cannoneer for the photo it is a big help (same thread), I have another in addision to Cmans origanal post pic.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #743 on: February 23, 2013, 11:04:54 PM »
 Beautiful. I'm saving my pennies!

(Pre-1984 copper ones. I'll send along some tin bars too)   ;D

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #744 on: February 24, 2013, 12:19:46 AM »
Rocklock,
Here are a few more pics that might aid with the modelling.

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #745 on: February 24, 2013, 12:30:00 AM »
Somebody knocked the tuft off tail of that lighter colored one to make it look more like a tiger. Bet I know who did it.  ::)

Sherlock Holmes

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #746 on: February 24, 2013, 07:50:43 AM »
Thanks all for the pics ....... I guess  :o ?

To make these things I have to look at them very closely ......maybe too closely !

In two of the above pics the ones next to the cannon there 'seems' to be proof that this is a male lion .

I callem as I see them ! :-\  This came as quite a surprise ! ANY OTHER thoughts given can give me some excuse to not include them  ;D  .

As an artist I suppose that shouldn't bother me .... but it kinda does.

"Lion Junk" 

Gary

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #747 on: February 24, 2013, 09:20:35 AM »
Iiiiiiiiiiii don't know about that one (or two), I'd have to get a closer look in that department before I jumped to conclusions; although I'd bet money that the makers intended it to represent a male. Haha!
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #748 on: April 04, 2013, 01:25:52 PM »
I just finished Smee #4 ! ;D

The vent is tapered for better fuse insertion

A little more polishing and he's ready to go .

Gary

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #749 on: April 04, 2013, 01:59:16 PM »
Very cool Gary!
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com