Author Topic: sized .223 brass issues  (Read 2443 times)

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
sized .223 brass issues
« on: April 17, 2010, 08:27:02 PM »
I am still having problems with my .223 reloads.  I suspect it may be due to me using a small base sizing die. ??? Can someone sell me some of their sized brass so I can see if that is the difference.  Factory brass fires everytime, my reloads are good about every 3rd or 4th round.

I would only need 20-50pcs. Please let me know what you have and if there is anything I may trade for it or a price.

EDIT: I have the brass I need for now, thanks.

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
Re: WTT/WTB: sized .223 brass
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 09:11:49 PM »
Sure I can help ya out, I'll run some Federal range pick up I have through my RCBS FL die and send'm your way
found elsewhere

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 10:08:28 AM »
are you possibly setting the sholder back to far. Adjust your die to just hit the shell holder and try that. All I use is small base dies for ars anymore. they are not your problem. As a matter of fact some of my ars wont run without them. I also had one that wouldnt run ammo reliably with cci primers and finally tracked the problem down to a firing pin that was a bit to short.
blue lives matter

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 11:28:05 AM »
are you possibly setting the sholder back to far. Adjust your die to just hit the shell holder and try that. All I use is small base dies for ars anymore. they are not your problem. As a matter of fact some of my ars wont run without them. I also had one that wouldnt run ammo reliably with cci primers and finally tracked the problem down to a firing pin that was a bit to short.

Thanks for the advice, I will try that too.  Not sure if it matters, but I'm not shooting an AR, just a Handi rifle.

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 11:29:10 AM »
Sure I can help ya out, I'll run some Federal range pick up I have through my RCBS FL die and send'm your way

Thanks, please let me know how I may repay you. :)

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline southernutah

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 08:02:17 PM »
dinny give us some more information. Ejection , won't close or misfire problem?  Brass type, where you got the used brass and a run down on your procedures. I had trouble with military brass and brass lenght. I use a RCBS precesion mic for every caliber to check headspace.

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 05:12:14 PM »
dinny give us some more information. Ejection , won't close or misfire problem?  Brass type, where you got the used brass and a run down on your procedures. I had trouble with military brass and brass lenght. I use a RCBS precesion mic for every caliber to check headspace.

I resize using small base sizing dies and have been having FTF issues. It has now occurred with two separate barrels and they both fire factory ammo with no issues at all.  I have checked firing pin protusion, brass OAL, primer depth, and found nothing to indicate any problems.  Using different brass may show me a difference. There is a possibility that my die is not properly adjusted. I will try the suggested adjustments when I get back home in a week, it's worth a try.

Thanks, DInny

Thomas Paine

Offline dscp

• Trade Count: (199)
  • Active Trader Life
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 06:13:12 AM »
::)     DOC D
Ya no the odds are great that all of our rifles are some different . Maybe just a few thopusants here or there but in some way different . HOWEVER I have never had the need to use small base dies . I do not understand reading your stuff ( everybodys) ! Is it just me or what ???
      I do have comercially processed brass   ...clean,size,trim, crimp removed to sell. . .but probably trade also . lemme no !
chief
ENDOWEMENT MEMBER NATIONAL RIFLE ASSN
UNITED STATES NAVY RETIRED

Offline southernutah

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 05:57:10 PM »
I use sm bass on all my 223 brass with no problem. try some different primmers . are you using new or old stock , what brand. buy some new  and give it a try. I like winchester.

Offline dscp

• Active Trader Life
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 07:03:53 PM »

Thanks for the advice, I will try that too.  Not sure if it matters, but I'm not shooting an AR, just a Handi rifle.

Thanks, Dinny
[/quote]
Please take not that he is using a break action rifle not a semi-auto AR .
methinks that much of the good words are wasted on a rifle he doesnot have !
my 2 bits
dscp

Offline NealWright

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 02:26:14 AM »
Dinny, PM sent ... fellow Hoosier.
Thanks, Neal

Offline southernutah

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 11:33:28 AM »

Thanks, Dinny
Please take not that he is using a break action rifle not a semi-auto AR .
methinks that much of the good words are wasted on a rifle he doesnot have !
my 2 bits
dscp
[/quote]

dscp, I use the SB dies and use them for ammo that I and other family members shoot in  ARs,bolts, NEFs and contenders doesn't matter, all go bang. All the SB die does is full length the brass farther down not cause different headspace. If headspace is good I would start with the primmers. There was alot of odd and foreigon primmers for sale the last year.

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 07:06:19 PM »
I only use new CCI BR primers.  ???

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2010, 03:24:58 AM »
Since the classified portion has ended and it has now become an advice thread I'm moving it to the proper forum for that.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2010, 04:14:53 AM »
Since the classified portion has ended and it has now become an advice thread I'm moving it to the proper forum for that.

Bill,
  Sorry, I guess I let it get off on a tangent. ::)

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline Reverend Recoil

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: sized .223 brass issues
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2010, 08:39:13 AM »
A good check for your fired, re-sized, and loaded cases is a Wilson cartridge gauge.  Are you crimping the bullets?  An excessive crimp or case length can cause feeding problems.

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2010, 06:29:05 PM »
A good check for your fired, re-sized, and loaded cases is a Wilson cartridge gauge.  Are you crimping the bullets?  An excessive crimp or case length can cause feeding problems.

I will look into one of those guages, I see that Sinclair sells them.  I use a light taper crimp with a Lee FCD.

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2010, 08:50:51 PM »
Dinny - just a thought - sounds to me like a headspace issue for your break-action. Years ago I had the same issue with a contender. Just never knew if it was going to fire or not. I took my calipers and started measuring all case dimensions as shown in the loading manuals. Somehow I was getting a variance in shoulder lengths, just enough to not headspace properly and cause the FTF issue. Still don't know why it was now and then. BUT, I did start to size the cases a little slower and enough lube to go easily, the 223 case is relatively soft, and ceased to have the problem...
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2010, 03:23:14 AM »
my mistake i thought you were using an ar. You shouldnt need to small base size for your gun. I see you are military and wonder if your getting your brass there. A sizing die even a small base die will not size the very bottom of a case and if a case has been shot in a gun with a big chamber like a SAW or even a loose spec ar it will have a bulge at the bottom that you wont get out. Try a new box of factory ammo. Shoot it in your gun and then reload it as you have been and see if it works. If that doesnt work id guess you have either a out of spec sizing die or an out of spec chamber on your handi rifle.
blue lives matter

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2010, 04:34:37 AM »
Dinny

From what I have read its just a fail to fire issue , right ? The Handi is very picky as to head space , try this , set your dies up as normal and then back them off 2 full turns from the shell holder .

Size a fired case and see if it will chamber & close , this should keep the shoulder and most of the case body to chamber spec's .

If the case will not chamber , turn the die down 1/4 turn at a time till it does , that should cure the problem .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2010, 01:05:59 PM »
Dinny

From what I have read its just a fail to fire issue , right ? The Handi is very picky as to head space , try this , set your dies up as normal and then back them off 2 full turns from the shell holder .

Size a fired case and see if it will chamber & close , this should keep the shoulder and most of the case body to chamber spec's .

If the case will not chamber , turn the die down 1/4 turn at a time till it does , that should cure the problem .

stimpy

Yes, you have it right.  I will try your suggestion when I get home and post a follow-up report.

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline moosie

• Trade Count: (2)
  • 1 of 2 nice 8 pointers last year
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2010, 02:42:01 PM »
Given the fact that you are using a Handi, my first guess would be a headspace problem; however, a second thought occurred to me.  No one has mentioned primers not being full seated.  I have known that to cause FTF.  A second strike will usually set off the round.  You said they fired in another gun after FTF in your Handi.  Did you give the cartridges a second chance in the Handi?
Moosie
To fire an accurate shot means to not just hit the target, but to know where the target was hit before the bullet got there.

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2010, 04:02:13 PM »
Given the fact that you are using a Handi, my first guess would be a headspace problem; however, a second thought occurred to me.  No one has mentioned primers not being full seated.  I have known that to cause FTF.  A second strike will usually set off the round.  You said they fired in another gun after FTF in your Handi.  Did you give the cartridges a second chance in the Handi?
Moosie

In some instances, I tried to refire up to 5 times. :-\ I really think that it is a headspace issue and have a few tests to perform when I get time.

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2010, 11:44:00 AM »
I have been very busy lately, traveling all over the U.S. for work.  I have just recently had a chance to shoot some loads made from some other's resized brass. I only had time to load 10 rounds, of which, all fired. Only one of them did not fire on the first pull. It had to be pulled out and then it fired just fine.  I will load more, when my schedule permits, and post another follow-up.  Many thanks to those who sent me brass, I really think I have found my problem.

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline dscp

• Active Trader Life
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2010, 01:53:13 PM »
::)      DOC D
 There are other factors ! Never thought about it before but I want you to take the next batch you load and carefullu set them UPRIGHT on a GLASS surface . If they all set there and none are wobbley then you are O K if not let me know and I will tell you the cure !
the old chief
dscp

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2010, 01:55:59 PM »
::)      DOC D
 There are other factors ! Never thought about it before but I want you to take the next batch you load and carefullu set them UPRIGHT on a GLASS surface . If they all set there and none are wobbley then you are O K if not let me know and I will tell you the cure !
the old chief
dscp

Chief,
  I'm interested to see what comes from this....You have sparked my curiosity. I will be back at Ft Polk in mid June, see ya then.  ;)

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline bolewine

• Trade Count: (2)
  • BUT I ONLY NEED ONE SHOT!!
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2010, 12:30:22 PM »
 Hi Dinny,

I don't know if this will help maybe someone with experience with can help. I seem to remember reading some ware that a certin primer is made for autos to prevent slam fires. I think it sits lower in the pocket and is thicker metal just a thought!

Brett
EATING WILD GAME FROM AROUND THE WORLD-AND PISSING P.E.T.A. OFF!

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2010, 12:53:28 PM »
Hi Dinny,

I don't know if this will help maybe someone with experience with can help. I seem to remember reading some ware that a certin primer is made for autos to prevent slam fires. I think it sits lower in the pocket and is thicker metal just a thought!

Brett

Brett,
  Thanks for the info. Tim gave me a link that shows the dimensions of several different primers. I'm trying new ones all the time.  ;)

http://www.jamescalhoon.com/primers_and_pressure.php

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2010, 12:57:50 PM »
Are you using the same brand shell holder as die? Are you fully camming the lever on your press to make sure the shoulder is set back? Are you checking case length?
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2010, 01:04:51 PM »
Are you using the same brand shell holder as die? Are you fully camming the lever on your press to make sure the shoulder is set back? Are you checking case length?

Yes to all,
  I use all RCBS dies and shellholders, full cam action is performed on every round for all calibers I reload( I have only had problems with the .223 Rem), and cases are all trimmed to length following the resizing.

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine