Author Topic: What'er these shellholders for?  (Read 1195 times)

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
What'er these shellholders for?
« on: April 18, 2010, 07:56:28 AM »

Got'm with some other stuff at a show,,I have no piece of equipment they'll fit,,
and does someone what'm?
They are numbered 1,,4 and 5
If you can use'm they'er yours,, cost is a pif someday.
found elsewhere

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: What'er these shellholders for?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 08:26:39 AM »
The Lee priming tool.
Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 08:44:52 AM »
My suggestion is to get a Lee Priming tool, they are inexpensive, and work great.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 08:57:18 AM »
Thank's, now I know what they are.  ;D
Bench is cluttered enough.  ;)
I use my Partner press fer priming, I can get my hand around the handle and frame easy enough and get a good "feel", I'm content. :)

Thay's up fer grabs if someone can use'm.
found elsewhere

Offline securitysix

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 05:20:50 PM »
Point of interest:

#1 fits the .38 Special/.357 Magnum head size.
#4 fits .223 Remington head size.
#5 fits 7mm Remington Magnum/.300 Win Mag head size.

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 07:09:08 PM »
I'd wipe them  with a lightly oiled rag to slow the rust.

These are for the Lee hand Auto Prime. I have all those or I'd grab em.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 07:15:51 AM »
If you don't have the Lee prime tool, you are missing out on one of the fastest and easiest tools used in reloading.  When someone asks me about tools to buy, the Lee Ram Prime is one of the first mentioned.  It will save you HOURS of reloading time if you load any volume at all.

Don't be content.  Be practical!  Saved time in reloading = more reloads available per time spent.  More reloads = more shooting. 

Steve :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 02:38:51 PM »
I agree with Steve.   It's been a very, very long time since I primed on the press, as in since about the time I bought my Lee priming tool and the shellholder set.   Imagine that!   
Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 03:36:29 PM »
Ok,Ok ,cheesch !  ::)
I'll get one, they are inexpensive, and highly regarded as a primary tool (pun intended)
Besides, I already have one of the shell holders I need.  ;D
I guess I better oil'm up a bit  :D
found elsewhere

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 04:52:13 AM »
Let them sit in Kroil for about a day, wipe them dry, and throw them in your tumbler.

After you get your Ram Prime, you will have spent the most rewarding $15 out of all $ spent on reloading gear you own.

Steve :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 08:39:55 AM »
I have broken 2 of the lee primming tools and they charged to replace the parts both times , get an RCBS as they replace parts free . I would see how far i could skip those shell holders across a lake since they don't weigh enough to be decoy anchors . Just my opinion .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline cybin

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2010, 05:00:51 PM »
I believe that you are in the minority there Shootall.

cybin

Offline shot1

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 03:27:08 AM »
It is not the RAM PRIMER it is the HAND PRIMER you want from LEE. The RAM primer is the one that fits on a press. A die that screws into the press and you use the RAM of the press to seat the primer. Get the Lee HAND PRIMER.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 10:24:16 AM »
Only here , Where reloaders wko like quality not price meet I stand among many !

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 11:35:05 AM »
Just exactly what did you break on that item? I have had one for eons(feels like it) and other then a dab of  fishing reel lube on two places there is no maintenance.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline grizz

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2010, 02:44:46 AM »
How on earth did you break it??? I have primed thousands upon thousands of cases with it and never broke one... I have seated a primer sideways?? with it once and still didnt break it.. Heck couldnt even figure out how that happened in the first place..

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2010, 03:28:47 AM »
I broke the lever that you use to seat the priner . Broke one so i picked up another to use to load what i needed for a match . I loaded over 400 rounds every week or two back then . Well the second one broke in the same place so I called the factory and they had the parts so i got them paying for them and shipping . Well at a match i was telling a guy about it and he suggested i try a RCBS tool . I did and it works better for me . Well while moving i lost some of the parts . I called the factory and ask if i could buy the parts i had lost . I told the rep I had lost the parts . He said no I could not buy them but if i gave him my address he would send them free of charge . In fact he sent a complete parts package . I have a friend that has had the complete tool replaced after he wore it out . So since they treated me so well then and several times since i take every oppertunity to let others know what happened to me so it won't happen to them . You see i knew of several other guys that had the lee tool break in the same place which would lead me to believe it was a bad part or poor design and they didn't stand behind the product like i would have though they should have . You can call it sour grapes if you like and i can live with that

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2010, 01:32:38 PM »
Well, I made the plunge.
  Went to the local shop an picked one up today. Opened the box right there (gotta love small shop's), I squeeze it a couple times and said to Bobby "I heard these things need to be lubed",
"Oh ya" he say's, an off he goes into the back,,comes out a moment later and he used a graphite grease type lube on the 2 moving/roller parts of the handle,,you could feel the differance.
 So I'm set-up with a proper primer now,,Thanks guy's for another helpfull tip. (gotta love GBO's)  ;D

p.s. Bobby got a little too helpfull with the lube, I'll hafta wipe some off, but they sure do go that extra yard for customers
found elsewhere

Offline shot1

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2010, 01:37:11 PM »
I broke the leaver on a Lee hand primer once, after about a billion loads.  It was on a crimped in military case. I bought another leaver. Then a couple of years latter the part that holds the shell holder just broke. I guess after about 20 years of loading anything will wear out. I bought another Lee hand primer and have been using it for around 10 years without a hitch.

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2010, 05:12:47 PM »
I broke the top piece that holds the shell holder on one BECAUSE I forgot to remove the crimp on a batch of 30-06 military brass. Now I have 2 Lee Auto primers and a single primer seater by Lee. I keep one set up for small and the other for large primers. The RCBS bench type doesn't even see the light of day any more!

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2010, 02:47:07 AM »
Shame they make you pay for the parts when others don't is my point .

Offline jhalcott

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2010, 09:42:27 AM »
 OTHERS?? the only company that has EVER sent me parts for free is RCBS!! ALL the OTHERS(Lyman, Redding and Lee) have charged at least postage & handling.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2010, 09:44:43 AM »
Redding sent me a part free . RCBS sends decapping pins free .

Offline securitysix

• A Real Regular
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2010, 09:24:41 PM »
When I first got my Hornady .308 Winchester dies, they had the wrong bullet alignment sleeve in the seating die.  I emailed Hornady and explained the problem to them.  It took a couple of days (would have been faster to call them, but I hate talking on the phone and avoid it when I can) to get a reply, but they sent me the correct part for free.

Dillon is really good about sending parts out for free, too.

Offline srussell

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2010, 10:08:29 PM »
i have both a lee and RCBS wile the RCBS tool is good the lee is also good and faster in my opinion i use the lee two to one over the RCBS

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2010, 10:03:19 AM »
I have been using a Lee Priming Tool since the early 70s.  I did break the plastic tray for small primers once, then found one at a garage sale and replaced it.  Has worked fine for over 30 years.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.