Author Topic: outdoor carry gun  (Read 510 times)

Offline jamaldog87

• Trade Count: (0)
outdoor carry gun
« on: April 19, 2010, 06:27:56 AM »
well with the new law with state parks i would like to know what you think about this. Would be the best gun for out door carry for animals(non-brown bears)?  A taurus model 441 44 Special 3 inch, a Taurus 450 45 long Colt 2" inch, a 1911A1 4in 45ACP , a 357mag 2'',4, or 6'', or a Glock  22 ?
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
Re: outdoor carry gun
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 07:12:18 AM »
All are good guns or calibers, Personally i am partial to the 44 and the 357 as hunting calibers.
I have wondered around the woods with a 9X19 or even a 22LR.
I think you are worried about black bears and possibly agligators.
If it is a black bear any of the calibers you mentioned are going to be good at detering it.  then again being wary in the woods is going to do a better job and the black bear will steer clear of you.  If it while in camp, do the right thing and hang your food away from camp as well as your trash.
If it is an aligator that attacks you.  Well you will either get away after the first strike as they are abmush hunters.  And do not run after prey.
Personally I think you need to get a 22LR and start shooting.  The only way to get good and stay good with a handgun is to shoot one, and often.  The 22LR will allow you to shoot 550 rounds for the price of 20 to 50 of what you mentioned as the other calibers.
22 lr is not a bb gun.  I took a friends kid out to the range and rolled out a Mellon for him and handed him a 25 round stick for the 10/22.
figring the 22 would take a while on the mellon and I went to get or do something.  In less than 20 Rounds.  The mellon turned into a greese spot on the ground.

Offline jamaldog87

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: outdoor carry gun
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 08:25:53 AM »
We have have a few small black bears but there no real problem(so few of them) and gators well stay out of the water ;D   other then hogs, dogs, or people there not much of a animal problem here. I carry my OC,baton, or large blade when in the outdoors.

it just something that was on my mind. I have those guns sold as "outdoor guns" or "bear guns" so i wanted to see what you guys thoughts on those guns. If i did carry a gun for animals it would be a 357 or 44mag with a 3-4'' barrel, both have drop lots of big game and if i wanted to do some hunting i could.
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends