Author Topic: Need Help with Lyman 452460 in 45 ACP  (Read 777 times)

Offline pennsyltuckymoose

• Trade Count: (0)
Need Help with Lyman 452460 in 45 ACP
« on: April 19, 2010, 05:27:09 PM »
I just got a 4 cavity mold for the Lyman 200 Gr. SWC (452460).. Got some sized and lubed and proceeded to "try to load".. couldn't find specs for OAL... tried seating various lengths and had feeding problems(more problems with Sig 250 than Springfield V16).   I'm looking for info from someone that uses this bullet to give me a clue... may also be a crimp issue... does it need a firm crimp... am using Dillon 550 so crimp is in separate station from seating and can be adjusted easily.  Any first hand experience is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

TheMoose

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: Need Help with Lyman 452460 in 45 ACP
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 05:58:45 PM »
Lyman says 1.161" on the OAL.

Do not roll crimp the round. The 45 ACP uses a taper crimp.
Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline pennsyltuckymoose

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 12:19:44 AM »
Thank you SmokinJoe,   When I get home tonight I'll try that... greatly appreciate you quick response.

Thanks again,

TheMoose

Offline shot1

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 03:49:42 AM »
You may have to polish the feed ramp of the barrel. Many 1911's will need a little widening also. It is better to use a harder lead mix for the bullet. Wheel weights with a little 50/50 solder works well. This keeps the bullet from deforming when it hits the ramp. Also experiment with lip angles on the follower of the magazine.
A more direct line into the chamber instead of the bullet nose hitting the feed ramp works pretty good. Also you will need to use a mid to max load to get a pistol with a stock spring in it to work properly. 7 grs of Unique or 5 grs Bullseye is what shot pretty good in all the stock spring 1911's I have fooled with. I used this bullet in my 1911 with a light spring and 4 grs Bullseye when I used to shoot bullseye matches years ago.  Very light recoil and very accurate.

Offline gray-wolf

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 03:04:09 PM »
That bullet is a little short for finicky pistols, as for the OAL try seating the bullet so that about a thumb nail thickness of lead is showing after the case mouth. That is about standard for that bullet.
If you have trouble with it feeding you may want to try #452630 it has a little longer nose and may feed better.  I would say if you don't know what you are doing STAY AWAY from the feed ramp or any other part of the barrel. Many barrels have been ruined that way.
   As for the crimp, it is the same as any other auto round.  Taper crimp just enough to take out the  flare at the case mouth.  The one you put there in order to seet the bullet, any more does nothing for bullet hold and I doubt it is your feeding problem.

Good luck

GW.