Author Topic: New to handguns and CC  (Read 755 times)

Offline Dorado

• Trade Count: (0)
New to handguns and CC
« on: April 20, 2010, 04:03:12 PM »
Just bought my first handgun about a month ago (sp101 2.25" spur less hammer), and got my CC permit last week. I've been reading the forums, shooting as much as I can, and got a inside the waist ban holster for an appendix? carry. The .38+p's are fun and .357 give you a heck of a rush :)

Any input for a newbie would be appreciated (loads, shooting tips,ect.)

Thanks in advance D

Offline rdmallory

• Trade Count: (11)
  • A Real Regular
Re: New to handguns and CC
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 04:30:25 PM »
Interested in getting started in hand loading for it?

Doug

Offline G1D

• Glock-O-Holic
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 09:50:37 AM »
.02, Practice, Practice, Practice.
Practice drawing from the holster you'll be carrying in and with the type of clothes you'll be wearing most of the time, b/c if you can't get it out, its useless. Did I mention Practice? Know what you are going to do if something needs to be done.
"Do Something, It May Be Wrong, But do Something" (no idea)
Kimbers and Colts you show your friends, Glocks and XD's you show Bad Guys.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 10:05:19 AM »
In 38 spl a 158 gr lead wad cutter hollow point works well ( old FBI load ) , In 357 mag a 125 gr SJHP is a well proven round . Some say out of a short bbl there is little need for a 357 mag. as it is only slightly more vel. To which i say just how do you know that slight extra power won't be needed . Then there is a new round for snubs in the 130 range each manf. has a weigh close . I find this interesting as in Viet Nam there was a project to lose weigh on choppers and a mod 12 S&W revolver ( alum frame ) and 130 gr bullets were used . The bullets were FMJ so they had less than desired results but seems they may have found the "sweet" weight for the bore size.
 Your gun is a good choice a strong weapon for sure . At some point you may find its weight a bit much and want a lighter gun for say summer . If so check out a airweight S&W  j frame .
The advice about pratice is some of the best you will get also dry fire with snap caps alot .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline GH1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 04:06:56 PM »
Congratulations on your purchase and you newly acquired CC license.  If you plan on shooting very much you might want to consider reloading.  The .38/.357 cartridge is one of the most popular rounds to reload and there's a ton of information and components available. 
Ditto on the practice, particularly on drawing and reholstering your weapon. Dry firing is also a great way to practice shooting basics without burning expensive ammo.
GH1 :)
I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline Dorado

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 05:09:56 PM »
Thanks for the input so far, much appreciated.

I'm not into reloading right now, but definitely thinking about it after buying a couple boxes of ammo :'(. Maybe by end of summer I can manage time and $ to get reloading stuff all together, what would I need (I'll look around in the forums also) a press?, die set?, primers and powder?

Thanks again D

Offline Dorado

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 05:15:19 PM »
Just found a "new to hand loading thread" in that section of the forums ;D, but any advice is still appreciated.

D

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 03:12:51 AM »
I spent many an hour going back thru the bone pile on the hand loading thread. It was helpful in coming to grips with terms and thoughts while settleing into the thoughts and getting comfortable and secure in these new surroundings.
Good guys over there.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 03:53:39 AM »
I think you made a great choice in guns. I recently got into reloading .38 Special myself so I can shoot my LCR more. I wish I had gotten into it years ago, it's very fun! Also, don't get scared in the reloading forums when people recommend high dollar equipment and tell you that everything else is junk. Reading stuff like that actually kept me away from reloading until I looked into it more and realized that you don't have to buy the top dollar stuff to get started. Sure a Cadillac is nice but a Ford will get you from point A to point B just as well.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline slim rem 7

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 02:55:03 AM »
one conclusion ive come to..accuracy trumps power of rnd..carry the rnd you can hit what you shooting at with..ive found a 38 special, 150grn lead rnd that ,in my gun ,im much more accurate with..clint eastwood ,im not..but
confidense in ability to hit your mark is very important.. then practice as much as you can afford..slim

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 10:26:16 AM »
I would rather learn to swing a bat and not depend on a feather duster , but that's just me.

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 10:10:08 PM »
It was shortly after buying my first revolver that I decided to go to a reloading press etc. I had been using the old Lee loaders for a few years before that. Back then (1978??) Two boxes of 41 mag (50 rnds ea) were more than the RCBS Jr press. Come to think of it, with the prices of ammo, you might still make a good comparison.

You might consider getting some professional self defense instruction along with practice. I have practiced a little with some police officers and learned a few things. I should do more.

I too have the 2.25 101 and love it. I put Crimson Trace hard polymer grips on it and shoot it much more accurately now. I grabbed a special firearms instructor discount that came my way - still spendy tho.

I shoot a lot of mid range 357 loads  for practice and sometimes carry the Speer gold dot 38 snubby ammo (130 or 135?) in it.

I've also carried and shot the 180 Federal Cast Core when bears were thought to be in the neighborhood.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2010, 04:06:41 AM »
Dand , I have seen boxes of the 130 -135 gr. stuff . Read some on it also it looks good on paper . Since you have shot such do you feel it has an advantage over the 38 +P 158 SWHP ?
 I just picked up a box of Winchester 130 gr ( I think ) SJHP to tru . My concern is the jacket - will it expand it expand when shot from a short bbl ?
 For some reason we see alot of 130 gr FMJ ammo at really low prices and when getting brass to reload its great target stuff and almost as cheap as reloading . Might make a good cheap pratice load if the other ammo works as they claim .